Does It Work?

Short answer no, long answer yes.

They work well on SOME dings, but your best bet is to just take it to a paintless dent repair tech.

As for the Lexus sheetmetal being higher quality, I have never seen metal on a car that dents and dings easier than the metal on a Lexus. If thats higher quality they can keep it.

its a thicker gauge

:cries: It is definetly a thinner gage./ I had a paintless dent repair person remove dents on my LS 430, SC430 and my Mercedes CL. His comment was that it was amazing how thin the metal was on the Lexi in comparison to the MB's. You can also tell the difference if you tap on the doors of the 2 brands. THINNER on the Lexi.

its a thicker gauge

:cries: It is definetly a thinner gage./ I had a paintless dent repair person remove dents on my LS 430, SC430 and my Mercedes CL. His comment was that it was amazing how thin the metal was on the Lexi in comparison to the MB's. You can also tell the difference if you tap on the doors of the 2 brands. THINNER on the Lexi.

Very noticable.....Make me a little scared..how safe is the thinner metal? Lexus/toyota must know what they're doing!

It is definitely very thin sheet metal. I can't believe the number of dings I've gotten from the slightest door taps, and I still park away from everyone. Very dissapointing.

LexKid, there is no safety issue with sheet metal thickness. The sheet metal is often referred to as the "skin" on the car. The steel structure that's behind it is what will protect you.

But I can't believe how easy this car is to ding. My Ford Explorer (although rusting fast) holds up much better as did my old plastic Saturn. I guess I was spoiled there.

its a thicker gauge

LOL, no way its a thicker gauge.

:geek: Have you personally checked it? I have both Marques in my garage and the MB is much more solid feeling and I have to believe a person who works on auto sheet metal daily as to the real evaluation.

Ik- I agree with you, my comment should have read "LOL, no way. Its definately a thinner gauge". Sorry about the confusion. The guy that works on them all day long definately knows best. My guy says that its a common thing with all Japanese cars. German and American cars have significantly thicker metal.

My Lexus dealer even fixes all door dings for free for their customers who purchased their cars from them for as long as they own the vehicle because they ding so easily.

I'm having another ding taken out of mine Wed. Whenever anything touches this car it dings, I had a pinecone drop from a tree and ding the roof. I also had an Explorer before and only had one ding in 6 years. I've had 7 or 8 on my Lexus.

My dad even had a rock ding the leading edge of the hood on his old 98 LS, never seen that happen on a car before, ever.

Just like SW I have a 1997 Ford Explorer that is frequently around construction sites. The car has many scratches but NO dings. I purchased my 98 LS just 3 months ago and I have 3 new door dings and I am extremely careful with the car. Murphy's Law says that when I park all the way at the back of the lot, someone decides to park right next to me anyway!

The thin Lexus sheet metal really is a shame given what these vehicles cost. My Ram's sheet metal has absolutely no dings, but any firm tap on my wife's RX300 is likely to create a ding. I've told her to always hide that vehicle in the far end of the parking lot wherever she goes.

Lexus gets a big black mark and a swift kick to the the quarter panel on this subject.

Had my ding taken out today. Another $130 down the drain lol, the PDR guy owes me his riches.

In all fairness our Explorers and RX's Ram do/did sit higher than the Lexuses and have moulding to protect from dings the Lexuses don't have. Still though, they definately ding easily.