Did I Pay The Fair Price?

falciott

Hi everyone, great site! I learned more about my car in here then anywhere else. But I have some questions ! I just bought a 90 LS 400 with 38,000 original miles on it " checked carfax history and all" the whole car seems like it;s right out of the showroom, infact when I saw it.. it seemed like no one ever sat in those leather seats. Anyway.. getting back on track, the high book value says it;s worth $6,500 and I bought it for $7000. Did I get a great deal.. or did I just get what I paid for? :unsure:

Hi falciott!! :)

Congratulations on what sounds like a beautiful car!!

I think you got more than your money's worth. Besides - it's yours now - isn't it? Why try to upset yourself by trying to prove you got 'took'. And if you got what you paid for - wow - lucky you. Not everyone can say that!!

Do yourself a favour [if you haven't already - OR IF there is no evidence of such things being done - recently] change ALL fluids and consider replacing the timing belt. [some of the other member's can tell you better than I can if replacing the timing belt is absolutely necessary] Sometimes [believe me - I know] a super low mileage used car can have unique problems. So ignore MILEAGE when it comes to appropriate services and focus on TIME. In other words - if something should be done at 40,000 miles OR 2 years - only consider the YEARS. [or months or whatever the case may be] When I bought my 1993 LS [about 1 1/2 years ago] it only had about 50,000 miles. I replaced the timing belt and a few other things - just to be safe. [then again - I'm a bit of a safety freak!!]

So... tell us more. What colour is it? What options does it have? Have you taken any photo's? I for one would love to see your new car.

And welcome to the Lexus family!!

Craig!! :)

I think you got more than your money's worth. Besides - it's yours now - isn't it? Why try to upset yourself by trying to prove you got 'took'. And if you got what you paid for - wow - lucky you. Not everyone can say that!!

Do yourself a favour [if you haven't already - OR IF there is no evidence of such things being done - recently] change ALL fluids and consider replacing the timing belt. [some of the other member's can tell you better than I can if replacing the timing belt is absolutely necessary] Sometimes [believe me - I know] a super low mileage used car can have unique problems. So ignore MILEAGE when it comes to appropriate services and focus on TIME. In other words - if something should be done at 40,000 miles OR 2 years - only consider the YEARS. [or months or whatever the case may be] When I bought my 1993 LS [about 1 1/2 years ago] it only had about 50,000 miles. I replaced the timing belt and a few other things - just to be safe. [then again - I'm a bit of a safety freak!!]

So...  tell us more. What colour is it? What options does it have? Have you taken any photo's? I for one would love to see your new car.

Hi Craig, thanx for the reassurance, at first I couldnt; believe the low mileage and then I was like" wait a sec! I paid more then the book value" but it was not a regretful decision since I bought the car for my wife and I know I wont; have to worry about her getting stranded somewhere. So Craig U think I should replace the timing belt>!? your argument makes sense, I was looking it more in terms of mileage then years, infact I was gonna wait till the scheduled maintenance for that, but you're right I should get it changed. How much did you pay for that and was it at a Lexus dealer, I've read enough forums in here to know that they enjoy" taking people for rides". But the car is pearl white , the paint is flawless but the the bottom , the other tone seems like it's been run thru a car wash, seems a bit scratched, as far as options I assume it;s pretty loaded, no air ride tho. I just installed some reverse sensors myself, since my wife tought that visibility in the back wasnt; the greatestest. They look like stock sensors and it only cost me $75.00, got them on ebay :D

I am also adding on the "LS 400" emblem since it;s missing, and the one thing that has to go, are those hideous chrome fenderwell moldings, I took one off but the paint has been discouloured by it, so I have no idea what to do now. I shall ask as paint shop, but I will definetly take pics this weekend and post them on here. Thanx again for the advise Craig, timing belt will be on my list as well now.

$7000 seems a little bit high to me. At any rate it should be a great car for you. Do you a search on the forum for timing belt change and you will find a slew of information on what all needs to be replaced with the timing belt. For OEM parts

http://www.discounttoyotaparts.com/ seems to have the best prices. Good luck and enjoy the car.

$7000 seems a little bit high to me.  At any rate it should be a great car for you. Do you a search on the forum for timing belt change and you will find a slew of information on what all needs to be replaced with the timing belt. For OEM parts

http://www.discounttoyotaparts.com/ seems to have the best prices. Good luck and enjoy the car.

Hi Flash, thanx for the website, I am sorta of a hobbyst mechanic so I'll definetly be purchasing alot of parts online, well. probably not the timing belt since I don;t want to screw it up, but other tune up parts.Well at this point I am thinking as long as the lex doesn;t give me problems it'll be well worth it, i've had my share of unreliable cars, new or not.

So...  tell us more. What colour is it? What options does it have? Have you taken any photo's? I for one would love to see your new car.

I concur with Craig! Post pics when you get a chance! Welcome to the club! B)

:cheers:

I'd call your buy a great deal. You can't buy a 3 year old Malibu for 7 grand. Mine is the same year and color and I noticed that they grey paint on the bottom seems to wear out faster.

Thanx guys, ok I definetly dont; feel like I bummed on my deal, as far as the low mileage, I bought the car from an older gentleman and he used it as a weekend car, besides when I look at the interior it;s amazing how new it is, that is why I am not suspicious. It is possible, after all even my father in law has a '97 BMW M3 with only 15,000 miles on it, here in Hawaii those weekend cars don;t see much sun. The emblem I bought on ebay from"lexmaniac" that's his ID , and the sensors I bought from"HK-PLUS" he's located in Honk Kong, but i got the sensors in less then a week and I've bought from him before, so the sensors have been trouble free, here is a link to the ones I bought" http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7973773890 " do no mind the car names.. all sensors are the same for any car. Let me know If interested, I could give u guys step by step of my installation process, it took me about 6 hours, but that's only because I was trying to figure out how to route the wires for that clean look.