Is Spending 60-70k Dollars Worth It?

LexKid630

Do you think a new sc430 is really worth 60-70k dollars? Really, how much better is it than a celica? Is it worth that much money for a 2 door? Even if it is a lexus?

This is just an opinion question ;) I just want to know how many of you would throw that much away when you could get a loaded Ls430 for the same price.

for 60 -70 grand id most likely get a brand new m3 with all the goodies. you'll probably save money too. i also really like the new corvette's. maybe even a porchse. you can get a real nice porchse 911 for that.

I'm with JD on that one I'd also get a new zo6 for that amount. But on the flip side if your looking for a convertible hard top and need seating for more then 2 it's not a bad price.

if you think about who would want to sit in the back seat of the sc 430. no room what so ever. i think lexus put those seats in for show.

You could get a nice later model Porsche for that price, or a Boxster, but you can't get a new 997 without another 20,000. Yes the back seat in my Lexus is a joke.

A car you might consider is the MB350 SLK55. I just bought my wife one and she and I love it. For a lesser price the Corvette Z06 is probably the BEST bang for the buck iin the automotive industry.

As I have said before the Lexus SC430 is a boulevard cruiser, not a sports car. It is sluggish and doesn't corner well. The build quality is excellent and the Levinson stereo is absolutely first drawer.

Does the sc430 have the same EXACT engine as the LS430 does? I know thay're both 4.3 liters, but not sure if they're the same. The is300 and the rx300 for ex have different engines, yet the same size.

If the sc430 has the SAME EXACT engine, it should be even faster than the Ls430. I love my LS430 to death too ;)

I can't believe that the SC430 is sluggish!! WOW i thought i'd be really fast in acceleration

Does the sc430 have the same EXACT engine as the LS430 does? I know thay're both 4.3 liters, but not sure if they're the same.  The is300 and the rx300 for ex have different engines, yet the same size.

If the sc430 has the SAME EXACT engine, it should be even faster than the Ls430. I love my LS430 to death too ;)

I can't believe that the SC430 is sluggish!! WOW i thought i'd be really fast in acceleration

well, it is a lexus, i mean i have a GX and my buisness partner has a SC430, i test drove it and it handles better than a lot of its competitors, it also has a smooth ride, i dont like the NAV, it looks like it was put in by 3rd party i only like the in dash, thats all i expect 4 lexus, but i agree with u its over priced, i would much rather get a bmw or benz.

Do you think a new sc430 is really worth 60-70k dollars? Really, how much better is it than a celica? Is it worth that much money for a 2 door? Even if it is a lexus?

This is just an opinion question ;)  I just want to know how many of you would throw that much away when you could get a loaded Ls430 for the same price.

:chairshot: I did and am sorry I did it. Problems and quality issues galore. Horrible dealership experience. Have an LS430 and it is a better car.

As far as power it is underpowered for a semi-sports car. Feels like it has a boat anchor attached to it.

With that type of money I would buy a fully loaded black/black 2006 GS430 or LS430 (depending on your style of vehicle), add some mods (chrome rims..etc) and then with the remaining $$...take you and your family or friends to the beach... :cheers:

With that type of money I would buy a fully loaded black/black 2006 GS430 or LS430 (depending on your style of vehicle), add some mods (chrome rims..etc) and then with the remaining $$...take you and your family or friends to the beach...:cheers:

This is the same decision i had to make a few weeks ago. I decided to go with a new LS430. It's beautiful; the best car i've ever had! I guess i don't really need the rear seats considering i only have 1 more daughter living with me. We usually take my rx330 as the family car.

The Ls430 is just so smooth. You can't get any better! I love it to death, and would take it over an sc430 anytime.

for 60 -70 grand id most likely get a brand new m3 with all the goodies. you'll probably save money too. i also really like the new corvette's. maybe even a porchse. you can get a real nice porchse 911 for that.

Again....no Automatic retractable hardtop in those cars.

I've noticed after putting some 800 miles on my SC430 that it is finally breaking in, and performance is improving. I think we have to remember we are dealing with a 3800 lb car and only 300 horsepower. This SC will never compare with the Corvette, Porsche or MB SLK350 in pure performance, but it has it's own virtues. Anyone driving the car will be impressed after a little seat time.

You could get a nice later model Porsche for that price, or a Boxster, but you can't get a new 997 without another 20,000.  Yes the back seat in my Lexus is a joke.

A car you might consider is the MB350 SLK55.  I just bought my wife one  and she and I love it.  For a lesser price the Corvette Z06 is probably the BEST bang for the buck iin the automotive industry.

As I have said before the Lexus SC430 is a boulevard cruiser, not a sports car.  It is sluggish and doesn't corner well.  The build quality is excellent and the Levinson stereo is absolutely first drawer.

I have a 2002 SC430 and I've loved it. I'm not exactly a true sports car bigot though, so it fit me perfectly. Although I do have a dealer friend who just got a brand new vette and I liked it more than I thought I would. Don't know that I could do without a hardtop convertable. Yes, the back seat of the SC is a joke, but my kids are still small enough to fit back there for the short drive to school. Probably hold on to the SC430 (or even get a newer one) until the kids don't fit back there anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

I just drove the SC430 again....this time with my wife. she agreed that it was a rough ride compared to our E Class.

This salesman stated that the invoice on the car was about $57,700, and produced his documentation on that. Edmonds and Kelly Blue Book and other sites show the invoice to be $54,xxx.

All that this guy would do is about $60,000. I still think that is high.

• 2 years later...

This is just an opinion question ;) I just want to know how many of you would throw that much away when you could get a loaded Ls430 for the same price.

I did, practical - no. Why are we comparing SC430 to LS430 - apples and oranges. I bought and enjoy it, I love corvettes too and still may buy one some day, but too many on the road. For now this car is the toy in the garage. Hard top convertible was key for me and the Lexus service department in our area :cheers: is great. It all depends on what you are looking for and yes, way too much money.

I have owned other luxury cars in the price range of the SC. Each had unique attributes and driving charactristics.

Lexus has no reason to be ashamed of its SC 430 model. It provides a stylish, yet sedate, comfortable and luxurious convertible with a retractable top. If one who does not require a performance roaster, the SC more than provides the kind of pleasure expected in this class.

I bought a 2008 last month. It has exceeded my expectations. The price I paid will give me relibility along with luxury. I cannot say the same for the Audi and BMW cars I have owned. When they performed, they did so quite well. But, relibility was not their strong suit.

There is a sentence in an old movie that fits this post. "Don't knock it if you have't tried it."

I bought a 2008 last month. It has exceeded my expectations. The price I paid will give me relibility along with luxury. I cannot say the same for the Audi and BMW cars I have owned. When they performed, they did so quite well. But, relibility was not their strong suit.

I bought a 2008 SC430 about two months ago and I'm completely satisfied too.

Once I decided it was time for a convertible the choice was easy. There is no reason to own a soft top convertible except for price.

If I couldn't afford a 2008 I would have considered a used one because they have been almost identical since MY 2006. Even the 2002 - 2005 are excellent cars but they lack a few of the improvements of the later models such as the 6 speed automatic VS the 5 speed.

The alternatives of BMW and Mercedes were available, but I have had very reliable cars for over 20 years and I'm not willing to accept a lower level of reliability.

I do agree that the runflat tires are a terrible match for this car. I knew in advance that this was going to be an issue so I drove my car directly to the tire dealer and traded them in on non-runflat tires. The car now rides the way it should have from the factory.

YMMV

• 4 weeks later...

Just buy used and save big bucks. I bought an '04 recently for less than half the sticker. These cars depreciate fast, but with the excellent build quality, used is a bargain. Buy an '05 and get one more year of warranty, and three more years of powertrain warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding some of the comments on Lexus vs Corvette, I have a 2004 Corvette and a 2004 SC430. I would have a really hard time choosing between the two if I could only keep one. The Corvette is frighteningly fast. For the unsuspecting, I'll sometime floor it from about 30 mph. It sounds like the gates of hell have opened and the car leaps forward in a way you have to experience to believe. If you didn't have active handling engaged, you couldn't keep it on the road (I know from experience).

But, it does rides rough (Z51 suspension option and RFTs), you have to to lift the roof panels on and off the car (those things are heavy!) and I do worry about long-term reliability. Yes, the SC430 is much slower and can't corner at illegal speeds but, it does have the push-button roof, a much better ride, it definitely gets a lot more looks, especially from the women, and I suspect it will be more reliable in the long run.

I think they're both worth the price but they're two entirely different cars. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

I might as well toss my 2 cents. It depends on what's you fancy. The Corvette is fast, agile and very unpredictable, but the SC is a comfortable luxury coupe. I agree they're really not in the same league. One's built with performance in mind and the other with Luxury. that's why we the the XLR and SC430 in the same league.

I probably wouldn't want to spend $60-70k on the Corvette either. I'd opt for the GT-R. :whistles: