Advice On Purchasing Used Is300

degroat

Hi,

As soon as I sell my Accord I plan on buying an IS300 and was hoping you guys could help me out.

I've noticed some ads for IS's with automatics specify that they have the special kind of shifting (steptronic maybe?) where you can shift your automatic. Is this standard on all IS300's that are automatic?

One of the problems I have with my Accord is that it isn't tinted enough (especially w/ a 6 month old kid). From the pictures that I've seen it looks like some IS's are tinted more than others. Are the pictures just not showing the tinting very well or do they actually come with different tinting levels of from the factory? I'd prefer not to get an aftermarket tinting job done (never seems to end up that great).

Any other advice would be great... things to look out for that common is messed up with these cards, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

As soon as I sell my Accord I plan on buying an IS300 and was hoping you guys could help me out.

I've noticed some ads for IS's with automatics specify that they have the special kind of shifting (steptronic maybe?) where you can shift your automatic. Is this standard on all IS300's that are automatic?

One of the problems I have with my Accord is that it isn't tinted enough (especially w/ a 6 month old kid). From the pictures that I've seen it looks like some IS's are tinted more than others. Are the pictures just not showing the tinting very well or do they actually come with different tinting levels of from the factory? I'd prefer not to get an aftermarket tinting job done (never seems to end up that great).

Any other advice would be great... things to look out for that common is messed up with these cards, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

It's "E Shift". There are buttons on the steering wheel to upshift and downshift at will. It's standard on IS300 atomatics. If you select gear 3, for instance, the trans will not shift above 3 until you push the upshift button. It's mostly good for some curvey road driving, but mostly good for using engine braking when coasting. If you leave it in gear 5, the car will shift normally.

Dunno about the tint. You could "build one yourself" on www.lexus.com and see if extra tint is an option.

You won't find any basic problems as long as you buy a 2002 or later model, that has been well maintained.

Thanks for the replies.

What I want to find is a silver one with under 60,000 miles for under 20k. They're out there so it won't be that hard (just might have to go a few hours to get one). But, I may have to get a pre-2002 to get that price (they're out there, but rare). Is there any specific reason I should stay away from anything before 2002?

As for building one on Lexus... it doesn't look like there's a single option you can choose at all. After you select the car it takes you to an options package page with only one option package that you must select.

After only two days on AutoTrader.com I sold my car... :cheers: ... so it looks like my shopping begins sooner than I thought... :D

I went and test drove THIS 2002 w/ 35,000 miles on it yesterday. It's in really good condition... one ding on the front right bumper and that's it. Listed at 24K... but I'm sure I can talk him down. As soon as the check clears and I get my current car loan taken care of I'm going to tell him I'd take it for $20 and see what he says.

After only two days on AutoTrader.com I sold my car...  :cheers:  ... so it looks like my shopping begins sooner than I thought...  :D

I went and test drove THIS 2002 w/ 35,000 miles on it yesterday.  It's in really good condition... one ding on the front right bumper and that's it.  Listed at 24K... but I'm sure I can talk him down.  As soon as the check clears and I get my current car loan taken care of I'm going to tell him I'd take it for $20 and see what he says.

You should be able to buy a nice one for $20000. The wholesale is about $18,000 and retail at $22,000 for a 2002 model with that mileage. I'm not selling, but I did price my 2002 out at a true market value of $20000. I've got 36,000 miles.

well about the shifting, the newer ones have better acceleration, they also have this feature that if your car is manual it will shift for u, i no it sounds like its automatic but its something dif. u can also adjust when the car will shift according to road conditions. like there are three settings, fast, snow, and i forget the last one. this mite be the new GS, IS is not my specialty, srry

As stated earlier, you should be able to get a really good deal on a 2002 model. I just bought that exact same year and color as the one you were looking at above with 11,500 miles, but I paid only 16,500 on eBay. On Saturday, I had the car professionally tinted $250.... Looks very good and drives GREAT!!

Beware of the demographics of IS300 drivers. IS300 owners can be very hard on the car and quickly put alot of invisible, hard to detect wear and tear on the drivetrain and suspension. Here's an example of how one IS300 driver on this forum drives:

"I had to pay 700 bucks to the system for doin 105+ in a 65. I couldn't help it if some jackass thought he could smoke me so I dropped a gear and the next thing I know I am @ 140, then I saw lights way back. I got screwed!!!!!"

Beware of the demographics of IS300 drivers.  IS300 owners can be very hard on the car and quickly put alot of invisible, hard to detect wear and tear on the drivetrain and suspension. Here's an example of how one IS300 driver on this forum drives:

"I had to pay 700 bucks to the system for doin 105+ in a 65. I couldn't help it if some jackass thought he could smoke me so I dropped a gear and the next thing I know I am @ 140, then I saw lights way back. I got screwed!!!!!"

:lol::lol:

I don't fit the usual demographic. I hardly ever go over 120. :cheers:

Beware of the demographics of IS300 drivers.  IS300 owners can be very hard on the car and quickly put alot of invisible, hard to detect wear and tear on the drivetrain and suspension. Here's an example of how one IS300 driver on this forum drives:

VGR/monarch/saber you are bordering on automotive profiling. :whistles:

steviej