Does Anyone Know Of An Independent Mechanic

forswami

I have host of problems for my 93 LS400 to fix .Does anyone know a good MECHANIC IS THE SAN FRANCISO BAY AREA who works on lexus.

I'm in Salinas, and becoming intimately familiar with the Gen I LS400. What do you need?

John

Hi John, Power sreering makes whinning sounds, timining belts needs replacing, problems with the power anntenae and drivers seat on left side will not recline back up.

thanks

:rolleyes:

(1) Power steering: is it leaking yet? This is one repair I have not yet tackled. Mine was leaking, and I used Lucas power steering stopleak. It helped alot. I'm going to clean the filters and rebuild the pump/resevoir one of these days...

(2) Timing belt I can do. Here's what you need to buy: Belt, water pump, Idler and tensioner pulleys, tensioner cylinder assy, and it's a good idea to replace the distributors and rotors, too. Buy the parts on ebay, or from one of the discount part shops listed on various threads in this forum. Two o-rings are also needed, only available from dealer. They usually have in stock. The radiator gets pulled, so coolant is required to replace what's lost, about 3 gallons. Good time to flush the trans, too. About 7 quarts required. (2 day job)

(3) What's wrong with antenna? If all you need is the mast, ebay has many sellers, 20 bucks max for the mast kit. Easy job. ( 10 minutes)

(4) Seat is fixable also, no parts required. See other threads today for fix. (1 hour)

Right now I'm in Sacramento, at work. I commute back to Salinas, by air, wednesdays. After the 18th of May I'll be home every night, and working in San Jose by day. I'm off between the 18th and 31st, and could do the timing belt job sometime during that stretch, for a nominal fee. If this sounds like something you want to do, email me off-forum at :jadecuir@comcast.net, and we'll work out the details of parts acquisition, time , etc. Maybe you could take the wife to Monterey for the weekend with the money you'll be saving while the car's down.

John

Could you give us the names of the " Two O rings are also needed" when changing timing belt. Where are they located on the engine?

I might have to change mine too.

Thanks.

I live in a suburb of San Diego and had the same problem. I started asking other Lexus drivers in my area (grocery store, mall, etc.) The older the driver (50 & over) the better the referrals since people my age tend to get tired of being ripped off by dealers. Give it a try, I think you'll find a good independent close by.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...
I live in a suburb of San Diego and had the same problem. I started asking other Lexus drivers in my area (grocery store, mall, etc.) The older the driver (50 & over) the better the referrals since people my age tend to get tired of being ripped off by dealers. Give it a try, I think you'll find a good independent close by.

Good luck.

Hopefully you will see this message, I cant message you or email you apparently because Im not a gold member. Did you ever find a good mechanic in San Diego for Lexus?