Shifting Issue

golfinbud

I'm not sure if it's a clunk or something else in the car settling... but there is some kind of sound it makes that I still cannot identify when shifting out of park to reverse... It's under investigation... I don't know what it is yet but I will keep listening... there's something funny going on there.... 02 RX300.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's 2000 rx300 did the same thing at 70k miles, a definite clunking when shifting between P, R, D. Turned out to be the throttle position sensor, Lexus dealer replaced it for $100, shifts fine now.

BillK,

Thanks for the tip. With the known problems inherent in the RX transmission (especially AWD models), this is great information to have. All RX owners should make a note of this for future reference....

Also, for what it's worth, my RX300 is 2wd with 75k miles and the only real problem's I have had are 1) Muffler replaced under warranty @60k miles and 2) The throttle position sensor mentioned above.

SK performance,

I realize that it is recommended to use the parking brake consistently on every vehicle in order to keep the rear pads adjusted properly. I assume that by asking this question, you are speculating that those who DON'T consistently using their parking brake are putting undue stress on their transmission components (especially if the vehicle is not sitting level) and are perhaps creating their own "clunking" problem as a result....

Yes or no?

Anybody experienced hard shifting from park to reverse? No matter how hardly the brake pedal is floored I still get the same results. 1999 RX300 88K.

I have a similar issue...You are nt feeling the normal delay that all the transmission experience when you first start them??? Please explain when you experience your problem and if it constant or intermittent and I will try to assist you as best as I can...

Anybody experienced hard shifting from park to reverse? No matter how hardly the brake pedal is floored I still get the same results. 1999 RX300 88K.

My 99 ES does the same thing until the engine is warmed up and the rpms drop to about 1K. After that, it shifts fine. Is this the same in your case?

BILLK - did you notice your rpms prior to getting the throttle position sensor replaced? Did you have the problem all times of the day, or just when the car hadn't been driven in a while? I'm thinking my problem may be the sensor as well.