Rx 300 Engine Sludge

mommyx2

I purchased a used 2001 Rx300 a little over a year ago. I am almost positive that I have the engine sludge problem that is, from what I have discovered, somewhat common in this vehicle. Could someone please tell me what I actually have to present to the dealership so that I can have Lexus repair it? I have been told so many things by so many different owners, dealerships, and Lexus that I don't know what to think. I did not save oil change receipts b/c I never knew that I needed to. My service book is filled out and I do have my two most recent oil change receipts. I have maintained the vehicle properly myself, but, obviously I don't know how it was treated before me. Any info or advice would be very much appreciated!

The letter which Lexus sent me, dated July, 2002 states that they will cover damage expense repairs due to oil Gelling for eight years, unlimited miles, from date of first sale or lease of vehicle. Nothing states that it only applies to first owner, and no details are stated of records required of oil change. They state " All we ask is that you show a reasonable effort to regularly maintain your vehicle". This sounds pretty open ended to me, and leaves no doubt they are committed to repair the vehicle. They also state they will pay reasonable incidental expense such as rental car. The number given in the letter to call is 1-800-654-6421. You can probably call and get a copy of the letter. I would not know how to send you a copy of mine. I could try to figure out if there is a way I can scan it and add as an attachment if you would like.

How do you know you have an oil gelling problem?

Good luck,

!Removed! L.

Welcome to L.O.C. I suspected that my car had the same problem a while

back. Call Lexus (not dealer) and let them know what you suspect. They will

direct you to your nearest dealer and the dealer WILL pull the valve cover

and determine if you have "gellin" or not. The dealer will not charge you a

single dime for this service. For what it's worth, YOU cannot determine the

problem yourself by removing the oil filler cap as I did. Mine looked

terrible in my opinion but my dealer in Nashville said it look "very good" for

it to have 115,000 miles. ;)

I purchased a used 2001 Rx300 a little over a year ago.  I am almost positive that I have the engine sludge problem that is, from what I have discovered, somewhat common in this vehicle.  Could someone please tell me what I actually have to present to the dealership so that I can have Lexus repair it?  I have been told so many things by so many different owners, dealerships, and Lexus that I don't know what to think.  I did not save oil change receipts b/c I never knew that I needed to.  My service book is filled out and I do have my two most recent oil change receipts.  I have maintained the vehicle properly myself, but, obviously I don't know how it was treated before me.  Any info or advice would be very much appreciated!

Agreed, contact Lexus directly as the warranty is good for 8 years if memory serves. Do you have all service records since you have owned the vehicle & what about service records from the previous owner? :unsure: Ask Lexus to do a search for the maintenance history by giving them the VIN number if you don't have the previous owners records. B)

ALWAYS keep a file with all service & repair history!

:cheers:

I am considering the purchase of a 2004 RX330 with heavy highway miles (80k +) and I was wondering if the engine sludge problem continued into the 330 series??? :huh:

Not to my knowledge........but make sure all service records are accounted for regardless. Sounds like a lot of highway miles.......which is nothing for that engine. B)

I am considering the purchase of a 2004 RX330 with heavy highway miles (80k +) and I was wondering if the engine sludge problem continued into the 330 series??? :huh:

even thouh it's highway miles, are you sure about 80k in one year?? (or is it a two year old car, bought in 03)

I've got the sludge problem again on my 2000 RX300. First time about 2 years ago which was covered by my original warrenty at appx 30,000 miles. Now it's about 52,000 miles and it's back again. I saw the message by RIWYLW and tried calling the number listed but I got Union Pacific with questions about W-2's. Could I get the telephone number again.

By the way, I suspect the first time the dealer didn't do a very good job.

Any help would be appreciated.

Why do you believe that your oil gelling problem has returned? Has a Lexus service department verified this by removing your valve covers to take a good hard look? How often are you changing your oil and oil filter?

I can understand this occuring once, but going through that experience should change the owner's maintenance habits towards much more frequent service intervals. If you've done that yet you actually do have this problem a second time, then an entirely new set of issues comes into play.

Please keep us posted on what you've done thus far as well as how you decide to approach this problem again (if you do indeed have another case of gelling). Thanks.

It has been confirmed with the local Lexus dealer. I have been in touch with Lexus customer service (national, not the dealer) and they are getting in touch with the dealer. They gave me the name of the two service managers that are familiar with the problem and was told they will be getting in touch with me. I was also told that this occurred in the 1999-2002 model years and yes the car was serviced.

Thanks for the comments. The vehicle was purchased in sept.03 with an 2001 RX300 as a trade-in. It is driven to work and back each day a total of 180 miles every day. The owner meticulously follows the service plan and only uses the dealer for service. When I talked to my own mechanic about this he said that with the proper care the RX330 should be capable of 300,000 miles, so I plan to make the deal.

It has been confirmed with the local Lexus dealer.  I have been in touch with Lexus customer service (national, not the dealer) and they are getting in touch with the dealer.  They gave me the name of the two service managers that are familiar with the problem and was told they will be getting in touch with me.  I was also told that this occurred in the 1999-2002 model years and yes the car was serviced.

After the first repair (engine replacement?) did you use dino or synthetic oil? & how often changed? (time & mileage). B)

The letter which Lexus sent me, dated July, 2002 states that they will cover damage expense repairs due to oil Gelling  for eight years, unlimited miles, from date of first sale or lease of vehicle. Nothing states that it only applies to first owner, and no details are stated of records required of oil change. They state " All we ask is that you show a reasonable effort to regularly maintain your vehicle". This sounds pretty open ended to me, and leaves no doubt they are committed to repair the vehicle. They also  state they will pay reasonable incidental expense such as rental car. The number given in the letter to call is 1-800-654-6421. You can probably call and get a copy of the letter. I would not know how to send you  a copy of mine.  I could try to figure out if there is a way I can scan it and add as an attachment if you would like.

How do you know you have an oil gelling problem?

Good luck,

!Removed! L.

Does that agreement hold for main seals also? Damn it'd ROCK if it did!!! Thanks!

Thanks for the comments.  The vehicle was purchased in sept.03 with an 2001 RX300 as a trade-in. It is driven to work and back each day a total of 180 miles every day.  The owner meticulously follows the service plan and only uses the dealer for service.  When I talked to my own mechanic about this he said that with the proper care the RX330 should be capable of 300,000 miles, so I plan to make the deal.

Oil change at Lexus dealer uses recycled oil and replacement oil filter made in Thailand. I would use syn oil and change oil with an oil filter with synthetic filter material.

It has been confirmed with the local Lexus dealer.  I have been in touch with Lexus customer service (national, not the dealer) and they are getting in touch with the dealer.  They gave me the name of the two service managers that are familiar with the problem and was told they will be getting in touch with me.  I was also told that this occurred in the 1999-2002 model years and yes the car was serviced.

After the first repair (engine replacement?) did you use dino or synthetic oil? & how often changed? (time & mileage). B)

I'm an accountant and have no clue what kind of oil was used. The car was serviced approximately 4,000 to 8,000 miles. I also brought the car to Lexus with the same complaint in Jan of this year and they found nothing wrong.

I finally heard from Lexus corporate and they said they would look into the problem but it would take a FEW WEEKS to determine if they would do anything! No consideration for a loaner. They have had the car for 3 weeks already. They also said that this problem is only covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles and they repaired it the first time as a courtesy to me. This was not what I was told by the dealer. This does not seem to me what I have been hearing from others.

They also indicated that other shops may not use the correct oil. Do I have to ask Jifffy Lube what kind of oil they use? I've owned cars for many years and NEVER had this problem. I am wondering about Lexus and the service. My other car has a triangle on the hood and they don't want to see me before at least 10,000 miles with no consideration as to time between services.

Bottom line is that unless you have the car serviced by Lexus they have an out and my experience is that maybe 20% of owners do routine service (Oil changes) at he dealer. It appears I'm being punished for that crime.

Anyone have any ideas other than selling the vehicle and repalcing it with another brand which of course is an option?

They also indicated that other shops may not use the correct oil.  Do I have to ask Jifffy Lube what kind of oil they use?  I've owned cars for many years and NEVER had this problem.  I am wondering about Lexus and the service.  My other car has a triangle on the hood and they don't want to see me before at least 10,000 miles with no consideration as to time between services.

Bottom line is that unless you have the car serviced by Lexus they have an out and my experience is that maybe 20% of owners do routine service (Oil changes) at he dealer.  It appears I'm being punished for that crime.

Anyone have any ideas other than selling the vehicle and repalcing it with another brand which of course is an option?

Not entirely true......I do not take my car to Lexus for service.......I keep detailed records (including brand & grade of oil used) so if there is any question......that 'objection' is not gonna fly.

My suggestion at this point is to try & talk with someone who is able to make a fast decision on this issue & have the service manager at your Lexus dealer involved as well to go to bat for you so to speak....so your not without a vehicle for that long. Failing that, I guess the answer is to play the waiting game. :(