O2 Sensors

Hello,

Most time i read people gets engine light on dashboard and run dia. test, gets error codes and they changes O2 Sensors.

Also people says you are not getting enough gas mileage check O2 Sensors.

Can somebody explain me the relation.

Basically the O2 sensor reads the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gasses. Your ECU collects the readings from all of your 02 sensors, fuel delivery system and the MAF and it adjusts your air intake and fuel delivery to achieve the "optimum level" of oxygen in the exhaust.

While I agree w/ Lexusfreak in theory that a sensor either works or it doesn't... I would say that a dirty and/or heavily deposit covered O2 sensor could have an adverse affect on your MPG. I think this skews the 02 readings enough and could make you run just a little bit richer.

I would chack the MAF first though before you start replacing O2 sensors. It seems like a more likely culprit.

Basically the O2 sensor reads the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gasses.  Your ECU collects the readings from all of your 02 sensors, fuel delivery system and the MAF and it adjusts your air intake and fuel delivery to achieve the "optimum level" of oxygen in the exhaust.

While I agree w/ Lexusfreak in theory that a sensor either works or it doesn't... I would say that a dirty and/or heavily deposit covered O2 sensor could have an adverse affect on your MPG.  I think this skews the )2 readings enough and could make you run just a little bit richer.

I would chack the MAF first though before you start replacing O2 sensors.  It seems like a more likely culprit.

I know my scanner can test the ohms and it tells you if there are good or bad.

hi, i had the same problem about two months ago. SteveJ gave me the properly assistance and my )2 problem had been solved. i think you can search the past topics about O2 sensors... there are 3 sensors in the car, the best way is to replace all 3 of them, because they have almost the same life, one is out, another 2 are colse, so... good luck!! :P