Need Help With Engine Vibration And Suspension

jzz30

hi i just signed up and i have a few questions about some noise my car makes. I have a 91 Ls400 with 120k mi. and the car makes a vibrating low frecuency kind of noise I have just changed waterpump,timingbelt, and all of the tensioner bearings and of the pullies and things that spin on the front end of the engine except for the fan. the engine runs smoother but there is still noise. a mechanic friend told me that it is the engine mount. has anyone had this problem?

one more question. i recently changed the lower sus.arm and ball joints on my ucf because of suspension noise, there is less noise but it still remains does anyone know if the upper arm balljoint, and or strut bar is known to go bad? Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?

Post Icons

[ Use None ]

not sure about your suspension problem but you can easily check your engine mounts by putting your transmission into drive and pressing accelerator pdeal while still pushing the brakes. check the engine movement, if it moves a lot and you can feel the car shacking, then it means either engine mounts or transmission mounts gone bad.

I had to replace the strut bushings at 120K miles. The upper control arm assembly, which is a magnesium wishbone unit, is also known to be weak in the 400's (according to the Virgina Beach Lexus dealer). That might bear checking. The cheapest way to find out what is wrong is to bring it in to Lexus and ask them to do an alignment. They will then serve you up with a "needs" list (not to mention a healthy estimate). Last, not to be overlooked is the tires. Crappy tires vibrate wicked back at times. Don't always assume Lex is ill. Good luck, put some pictures of it in the gallery.

i am assuming that the upper arm ball joint is bad too because when I changed the lower ball joints there was so much play that you could move it up and down with your fingers as for the strut arm bushing i really cant tell if its worn but i think i probably will just change that since i will be taking everything appart. my tires are ok I think there fairly new, they are michelin energy something or other, i would rather use brigestones but they wear a little too fast for my driving but reel much better. i have had the bad tire noise a few times about 5 years ago i think it happens when you drive over pot holes too fast with junk tires.