Getting Used To Navigation

Is it just me or did it take you a really long time to get used to the navigation on the es330? I have no problem on the rx's but this ES; ughhhh.... My wife has no problem, my 14 year old daughther loves it!! I feel so dumb!! Why is it that the younger generations "get" things as we so called "older" people don't LOL   And i'm only in my early 40's  ;)

If the nav unit you have is anything like the GX470 unit, your right, its not user friendly.

I consider my a quick learner concerning computer & electronics, and seldom have to open the book on operating a unit. I found that reading the book on the GX470 NAV (and all the car tibits for that matter) is a must, and once you do, while practicing with the unit everytime you drive, itll become easy and enjoyable. It is an impressive unit with lots of capabilities Ive found.

Agreed. As they say, "nobody was born knowing", so read, read, read. :)

If the nav unit you have is anything like the GX470 unit, your right, its not user friendly.

I consider my a quick learner concerning computer & electronics, and seldom have to open the book on operating a unit. I found that reading the book on the GX470 NAV (and all the car tibits for that matter) is a must, and once you do, while practicing with the unit everytime you drive, itll become easy and enjoyable. It is an impressive unit with lots of capabilities Ive found.

What we need is a system that had a Windows, DOS, & Mac counterpart we can practice on our other computers and not solely within a parked car. That includes being written to a framework we are accustomed to. Can this be done by the programmers they have now? If it can, can a programmer tolerate close association while writing it with a person whose first language is English? This person is to create the manual while the program is developed?

I was able to scan my NAV manual into PaperPort and have it index it. I can locate any wording within the manual except what appears solely in the graphics. That didn't help as much as I hoped -- but if Lexus would prepare a CD like that some others could be helped.

An updated DVD helped more than the indexing. Apparently there were some critical bugs in the program. Having more up-to-date data was also an advantage in a few cases.

I discovered recently that the system could search for a location based on phone number (has to be about three years old without change) or on an address. It seems mysterious when it doesn't work because it doesn't give you a clue, it just refuses to take another step -- OR -- it takes another step and you cannot tell that it has. It doesn't work when the number or street name is not in the database. My next job is to use it repeatedly until I discover how to detect when it does not have the item in the database.

Anybody have any help with that?

• 3 months later...

I called Lexus to ask when the new navigation disk would be available. I currently have ver 04.2. They said sometime in October and the cost is $350. That seems a bit high, don't you think? I wonder if you can get one in English and Japanese, instead of English and French?

I called Lexus to ask when the new navigation disk would be available.  I currently have ver 04.2.  They said sometime in October and the cost is $350.  That seems a bit high, don't you think?  I wonder if you can get one in English and Japanese, instead of English and French?

that price does seem high to me.

• 3 weeks later...
I discovered recently that the system could search for a location based on phone number (has to be about three years old without change) or on an address. It seems mysterious when it doesn't work because it doesn't give you a clue, it just refuses to take another step -- OR -- it takes another step and you cannot tell that it has. It doesn't work when the number or street name is not in the database. My next job is to use it repeatedly until I discover how to detect when it does not have the item in the database.

What do you mean? How to figure out if it doesn't contain a particular address? Or do you mean POI?

What do you mean? How to figure out if it doesn't contain a particular address? Or do you mean POI?

My question is, what changes if you are putting in a street address and its database doesn't have it? For example, you key in 2601 Elephant St (two different lines) and it doesn't have this range of numbers or doesn't have this street? It has been five months since I asked this and I have seen some different responses but I wouldn't bet on what it shows onscreen.

At the time I typed this I was having trouble getting any response that would tell me the system had received what I typed.

My question is, what changes if you are putting in a street address and its database doesn't have it? For example, you key in 2601 Elephant St (two different lines) and it doesn't have this range of numbers or doesn't have this street? It has been five months since I asked this and I have seen some different responses but I wouldn't bet on what it shows onscreen.

At the time I typed this I was having trouble getting any response that would tell me the system had received what I typed.

If my experience, if you type in a street number, then a street and the address doesn't exist, it says something like "house number does not exist" than it displays a range of acceptable house numbers.

If you try to type in a street that doesn't exist, it won't be possible. It will only accept streets that exist in its database.

In general, I think it's best to follow a top-down flow. That is, go to Address, then select City as the first step. Once the city is set go to street. Then go to street number. That way you aren't faced with annoying listings of streets that are two states away.