Decisions! Help!

Ribbler

I can't decide which Lexus to buy. My options are as follows:

Dark green 1994 LS400

- No CD changer

- Excellent shape- well maintained

- Price - $8,200 (hard to believe but Autocheck confirms mileage and no salvage/wercks/major damage, etc.)

- I'll have to have it delivered from 2,500 miles away or fly there and drive it back. I'd prefer the latter.

- Unless I can find somebody where this car is located to check it out I'll have to buy sight unseen (other than e-mailed pictures).

Black on black 1993 LS400

- All services performed at Lexus dealer including dash lights, water pump, alternator, timing belt and on and on. Only thing that hasn't been done is the control arms (I think I'm saying that right).

- Auto check checks out as well

- I'll have delivered or fly there and drive it back 1,700 miles

Price $8,500

- A friend who knows a little about cars ( and I clued him in to the things to look for on this year) lives where this car is located and was able to test drive it for me. He also looked over the complete set of service records confirming the services performed. He highly reccomends the car.

Both cars are beeeaaauuuuutiful!! The major differences are the miles and the 1993 has the Nak soundsystem and CD changer while the 1994 has only the Lexus sound system with no CD.

How would you guys decide between the two? Would you ever buy one sight unseen?

The 94 sounds like the one. Just ask for a refundable deposit based on your inspection. $300 difference should cover some of the air expenses and if it checks out, you are way ahead. Figure at least $2k on wear and tear on the high mileage car even if well maintained. The Lexus dark green is beautiful :geek: IMHO.

Allways have the car looked at by a mechanic or someone that knows these cars well.You can have it inspected by mechanic anywhere in the country. There are many companies that provide the service. Look up car inspectors on yahoo or google and there are many chocies (around $100). I have experience with one of these companies and thay saved me a lot of frustration.PM me and I'll tell you the name of the company I used, if you go this route. And I say the 94.

The problem is basic. For example, I bought my 94LS in Vegas, where I live. Other than light bulbs and such silly stuff, the car is running like a top, and looks great. At 109,000 miles. Desert climate, no rain, no snow, no salt, etc. Never been out of the desert. I even contacted the only previous owner to be sure.

You mentioned that the cars are far, far away. Buffalo? Bangor? NYC? Even the famous "Florida cars" on EBay may have spent most of their life in the Rust Belt.

Caution is advised. Best of luck.

No, I'd never buy one sight unseen.

If your really concerned with the stereo situation keep in mind that the nak system really isn't all that impressive and ANY aftermarket system today will blow it away.  I think I'd go with the 94.

Im with...well....

DITTO! lol :D

Well, it looks as if the decision has been made for me. The 93 was sold about two hours after my friend looked at it. The other car, the one in Florida, is indeed in Florida. I'm in Vegas. Would any of you consider a car from Florida, specifically, Miami? Even if it only had 42K miles on it?

Flash123 I'd be very interested in knowing the company you used. Thanks.

The company is Pro Auto Inspectors and there web site is the same with .com. I think the owner's name is Joel and he used to work at a Lexus dealership. He's a great resource for info. Seriously though I think you could do a better than the deal in Florida. Although a visit to Miami could be nice. In my experience used cars from southern Cali. typically have the best prices in the nation. I got a 95 with 56k for $10. I see deals like this all the time on the net. Just dont be in a rush about it if you can.What are your resources for finding these cars?Good luck.

The company is Pro Auto Inspectors and there web site is the same with .com. I think the owner's name is Joel and he used to work at a Lexus dealership. He's a great resource for info. Seriously though I think you could do a better than the deal in Florida. Although a visit to Miami could be nice. In my experience used cars from southern Cali. typically have the best prices in the nation.  I got a 95 with 56k  for $10. I see deals like this all the time on the net. Just dont be in a rush about it if you can.What are your resources for finding these cars?Good luck.

Thanks Flash. Do you think the Florida deal isn't that great because of a rust issue? My resources include E-Bay, auto-trader and cars.com. What resources should I use? Thanks for your help.

The car in Miami is a decent deal. Depending on how much time you can afford it seems you could do better.I didnt know there was a rust issue. But if there is rust I wouldnt get that car. The inspectors will look for rust issues if you hire one. The other resources are look at the big metropolitan areas on craigslist.org and look in the classifieds in those same cities newspapers. This is more time consuming but worth it if you find the "deal". Good luck.

The car in Miami is a decent deal. Depending on how much time you can afford it seems you could do better.I didnt know there was a rust issue. But if there is rust I wouldnt get that car. The inspectors will look for rust issues if you hire one. The other resources are look at  the big metropolitan areas on craigslist.org and look in the classifieds in those same cities newspapers. This is more time consuming but worth it if you find the "deal". Good luck.

I don't know that there is a rust issue. I'm trying to find out if cars that are on the coasts have rust trouble. I don't know of any rust on this vehicle and the seller tells me that there is none. I wonder if a garaged vehicle that has been driven so seldom could have much of a rust issue. I just don't know. I'll check out craiglist.org. Thanks!!

Ribbler, I spent 20 years in south florida and never saw rust on cars, only if left on the beach during an incoming tide. South Florida cars are usually preferred because of the climate and no salt on the roads. Low mileage, to me indicates snow birds that go down in the winter when its bearable and then leave them in garages during the summer when they go back north. The only danger is Hurricane flooding and then the car would show up as salvage.

In my experience used cars from southern Cali. typically have the best prices in the nation.  I got a 95 with 56k  for $10. I see deals like this all the time on the net.

Would you mind share those search engines? I hope they aren't AutoTrader cause I haven't seen great deal lately. :unsure: