Egr Pipe Top Gasket Or Flange Is Gone

grantvs

My LS 400 has a problem with the EGR PIPE.

I know that this is a real bear to fix! got to pull the transmission.

So I was tinkering with it and it seems that where the top of the pipe meets the

manifold there is some slop. Could it just be a gone gasket?

I could use a remedy right now no matter how temporary.

It doesn't sound like a Lexus any more.

Ya Know?

Grant :cries:

It's more likely to be a crack in the egr pipe. If you can get in there & find where the leak is, you may be able to use some exhaust tape & perform a temporary fix.

Unfortunately the pipe is wedged between the back of the engine & firewall. This is a common issue with earlier model LS's. If you decide to pull the transmission be sure to use a transmission jack, the unit is pretty heavy. The transmission jack will also help make it easier to reinstall the transmission.

You can replace the egr pipe without removing the transmission on all ls400's except for the 1993 air injection models. Takes about 1 hour to do it. Email me for more info.

You can replace the egr pipe without removing the transmission on all ls400's except for the 1993 air injection models. Takes about 1 hour  to do it. Email me for more info.

It took me 2 whole days to replace the EGR pipe on my 91 Ls400 :chairshot:

i found theres not really enough room to get the pipe down where it needs to go...alot of the problems are because of the bracket which sticks out halfway down the pipe.....

It really is one of the worst jobs ive ever done on any car ive owned :chairshot:

If you do replace the pipe,the bolt must go in the bracket which i said about,or the new pipe wont last a week as its to stop the pipe vibrating..

Good Luck

cheers chips.

You can replace the egr pipe without removing the transmission on all ls400's except for the 1993 air injection models. Takes about 1 hour  to do it. Email me for more info.

I could not find your email..Please Explain>

Grant

• 8 months later...

You can replace the egr pipe without removing the transmission on all ls400's except for the 1993 air injection models. Takes about 1 hour to do it. Email me for more info.

Man, I need to replace the lower EGR pipe on my LS400 '95 MkIII. It is not looking easy :( . Do I need special tools to do it in an hour, PLEASE tel me how to to it. :D

Many thanks in advance Simon.

I can't add anything as far as the procedure is concerned, but my local Lexus dealer quoted me $402 for parts and labor to replace the egr pipe in my '95. The Service Manager's email said "approximately $402," so I guess that gives them some room to add to the price once they get a hold of the car. I've been reading a lot about this since my cracked pipe is driving me crazy, and it sounds like if you have access to a lift, then, you are looking at roughly an hours work, but no lift, don't make any plans for the weekend.

Lower EGR pipe has now been replaced and the car saounds a lot quieter.

Basically I undid the top 2 bolts with a socket on the end of an 18 inch extension from under the car and the bottom 2 nuts from the top of the car. It would heve been easier with 2 people, but I managed it on my own by tiing the extension to a piece of strin to hold it in place while I snuck under the car to turn the wrench.

Well , thanks to you all for your moral support, I'll post a full "story" with some pictures and part numbers etc at a later date.

A good start to the new year, I wish you all the same.