Gs Rims

I have a 2000 GS300 with the standard 16" rims. I was looking to upgrade to the oem 17" 5 spoke Lexus rims. I think they come on the 400's. Is there going to be a problem with the ride smoothness or something else. I believe I might have to recalibrate the speedo...correct?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Usually those 17" rims will come with a shorter sidewall tire. This helps keep the *circumference* the same, which is the true measure of how your speedometer will be affected.

If you keep to the Lexus stock tire size for the 17" rim, you should not have any speedo problems at all. (It'll be something like 225x55x17 or something like that. I can't tell ya for sure what the stock size is.

I really can't dude, I'm sorry.

I know some friends really like the Toyo Proxes performance tires, but I don't know that they are quiet.

Hard to go wrong with some quality Pirelli's.

If you want smooth and quiet though, I would personally guide you towards Michilin. That's just me. ;)

Either way, good tires cost significant money. All brands sell cheap tires and ya get what ya pay for, ya know?

Sorry I don't have any better personal experience for ya there........

I know that the Nitto Drag Radial is good, and I've heard that their performance line of tires is good, but I don't know anything about their normal street tire for passenger cars.

It's a good company, and they can make a good tire, so I would *think* that whatever line of normal, passenger car tires they have, must be decent as well.

again, just don't cheap out and get a $50 tire. :)

I would stay away from the Nitto drag radials. You get what you pay for. Drag radials are for the guy that doesn't want to change tires at the track or invest in two sets of rims and tires. Their sidewalls are not the strongest (I have had them on my cars). They are for drag and need to flex. They are fun when they are warm. They get awful stick. They do not take bumps will and the sidewalls balloon.

I am currently running Bridgestone Potenza S02s on my 240 and I am in deep love with them. They are 205/55/16 and they are great for street and track use. I run like a madman with them in the rain and they are great in the dry.

Here is a picture of me on the track with the S02s on front and beater tires for drift on the rear.

db_img_011200131.jpg

db_img_011200141.jpg

I know the S02s are also used as stock rubber on many higher end cars. I know they are stock on the s2000. I have friends that are still running them at the point where they are almost bald and they are still fantastic.

I can keep going on and on about them.

• 2 weeks later...

hey Stanbo, I wasn't trying to sell him on the Drag Radial, I think we all know they are for DRAG RACING only and not great for street driving. Everything you mentioned is perfectly true about them.

I was only letting him know that the COMPANY has the ability to make good tires (like the 555) and that he should check out their offerings, assuming he had not heard of them before, nor had experience with their tires.