Purchasing Cars On Ebay?

98es

I am looking to add on to our "lexus family" and am interested in purchasing a 2002 ES. I'm willing to spend around $20k, and it seems the only ones in my price range are on ebay. I understand that there are companies that you can pay a flat fee for them to inspect a car, which would give me a little more peace of mind about it. I'm not sure how all the taxes and things would work because I do want to finance. Are you charged more taxes for buying a vehicle out of state??? Or is it worth it to eat the extra $3,000 and buy from the dealership?? Any thoughts/experiences with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am looking to add on to our "lexus family" and am interested in purchasing a 2002 ES. I'm willing to spend around $20k, and it seems the only ones in my price range are on ebay. I understand that there are companies that you can pay a flat fee for them to inspect a car, which would give me a little more peace of mind about it. I'm not sure how all the taxes and things would work because I do want to finance. Are you charged more taxes for buying a vehicle out of state??? Or is it worth it to eat the extra $3,000 and buy from the dealership?? Any thoughts/experiences with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Ebay is a very good place to start looking for a car because of the price. It is also bad because you don't see the car. I would first suggest looking for cars in you area or within a reasonable driving distance. Next look at the pictures carefully. Pay close attention to details in the pictures like scratches or dents.

If there are not a lot of pictures then request them from the seller. Also call him/her don't just bid. Most transactions on ebay for cars are closed over the phone. Ask a lot of questions. Nag them, eventually you will get the truth out of them.

I bought my 2002 ES on ebay. It was located about 30 miles awaya so I saw it before I got it. About $4000 difference from ebay and lexus certified. The dealer gave me an aftermarket warranty and everything.

My friend also just purchased an IS300 from a lexus dealer on ebay, got it certified pre owned and at fair price.

Also get as much service information as possible.

I use to buy and sell cars on ebay in 1998 so I have some experience. Not too sure about the taxes, I use to sell classic cars for average price of $5000, sorry.

Good luck with your next purchase.

I purchased my 97 ES300 on eBay in June 2003 from a company in Florida. The nice thing for me about buying on eBay is that many of the cars are from warm areas like Florida, so you don't need to worry about the salt factor (except from the ocean).

My parents have also purchased 2 cars on eBay, so we have done this 3 times now. Usually shipping will cost somewhere from $650-950, depending on distance. I would be willing to bet that it is higher now because of gas prices.

Make absolutely sure to speak with the dealership or private party. As mrsel3 said, ask a ton of questions. Ask for all original documentation, if possible. Look closely at the pictures.... usually, the more pictures, the more trustworthy.

Make sure to look at their feedback score. If it is under 95%, I would be cautious.

As for taxes, I purchased my ES300 for $10,300 (86k miles) back in June 2003. We managed to talk the guy down from $10,900. It is very important to find a good shipping company... the company I went with last time was very professional and I was really impressed. Let me know if you want the company's contact information. Keep in mind that most sellers will assume that *you* will arrange for shipment. It is merely a courtesy if they provide you with the name of a shipping company. But even if they do, shop around and get quotes. Most of the shipping rigs make trips around the country and it will really depend on the timing. When I bought my ES, it took about 3-4 weeks to receive it because the shipping company had already been to Florida very recently beforehand.

The one thing about buying on eBay is that you are buying the car without test driving it or even seeing it in person. It is a bit risky, but I think it's well worth the risk. At the time, I would have had to pay around $13k for the same car that I bought for $10,300, so I got a great deal on it.

Regarding payment, we wired the money to the dealership after the car was purchased. (By the way, if I can remember correctly, we did not purchase the car by bidding... the time had expired and the bidding had not met the reserve price, so we called the dealership and worked something out.) We sent a down payment to the shipping company (about $150) and paid the remaining balance (about $500) when the semi truck dropped the car off. Later that day, we went to pay tax and license fees. I remember that the licensing was around $100 and the tax was something like $700 I think. I am not aware of any penalty for purchasing a vehicle from out of state, but I could be wrong. I would call your local county service center and ask them, because it may be county-specific.

Personally, I would definitely buy on eBay again. You can save A LOT of money by doing so and while the shipping, tax, and license (and inspection if you choose to do so) will cost some money, you will more than likely still come out saving money in the end.

If you want any more information about it, let me know and I can email you or talk with you. We have done this with 3 vehicles so I am relatively familiar with it. I also have all of my original records from purchase and I can break down the exact price if you would like me to.

-Chad

I purchase one ES 330,2004 from a Miami, Fl dealer that used Ebay :D .  The price and the car were very good.

I purchased my 97 ES300 on eBay in June 2003 from a company in Florida.  The nice thing for me about buying on eBay is that many of the cars are from warm areas like Florida, so you don't need to worry about the salt factor (except from the ocean).

My parents have also purchased 2 cars on eBay, so we have done this 3 times now.  Usually shipping will cost somewhere from $650-950, depending on distance.  I would be willing to bet that it is higher now because of gas prices.

Make absolutely sure to speak with the dealership or private party.  As mrsel3 said, ask a ton of questions.  Ask for all original documentation, if possible.  Look closely at the pictures.... usually, the more pictures, the more trustworthy. 

Make sure to look at their feedback score.  If it is under 95%, I would be cautious. 

As for taxes, I purchased my ES300 for $10,300 (86k miles) back in June 2003.  We managed to talk the guy down from $10,900.  It is very important to find a good shipping company... the company I went with last time was very professional and I was really impressed.  Let me know if you want the company's contact information.  Keep in mind that most sellers will assume that *you* will arrange for shipment.  It is merely a courtesy if they provide you with the name of a shipping company.  But even if they do, shop around and get quotes.  Most of the shipping rigs make trips around the country and it will really depend on the timing.  When I bought my ES, it took about 3-4 weeks to receive it because the shipping company had already been to Florida very recently beforehand.

The one thing about buying on eBay is that you are buying the car without test driving it or even seeing it in person.  It is a bit risky, but I think it's well worth the risk.  At the time, I would have had to pay around $13k for the same car that I bought for $10,300, so I got a great deal on it. 

Regarding payment, we wired the money to the dealership after the car was purchased.  (By the way, if I can remember correctly, we did not purchase the car by bidding... the time had expired and the bidding had not met the reserve price, so we called the dealership and worked something out.)  We sent a down payment to the shipping company (about $150) and paid the remaining balance (about $500) when the semi truck dropped the car off.  Later that day, we went to pay tax and license fees.  I remember that the licensing was around $100 and the tax was something like $700 I think.  I am not aware of any penalty for purchasing a vehicle from out of state, but I could be wrong.  I would call your local county service center and ask them, because it may be county-specific.

Personally, I would definitely buy on eBay again.  You can save A LOT of money by doing so and while the shipping, tax, and license (and inspection if you choose to do so) will cost some money, you will more than likely still come out saving money in the end.

If you want any more information about it, let me know and I can email you or talk with you.  We have done this with 3 vehicles so I am relatively familiar with it.  I also have all of my original records from purchase and I can break down the exact price if you would like me to.

-Chad

A friend of mine just bought an '02 GS 430 on there last month for about $6000 under list. It came from a dealer in NY, was in great shape, and still under Lexus warranty.

My uncle bought a '99 Mercedes Benz SL500 on eBay two years ago and it was also a good car, but it need more done to it than the seller let on originally. Still, he was happy with the purchase and saved alot money - even after making a few repairs.

I've been around eBay long enough to feel comfortable buying just about anything. Remember - if the deal seems too good to be true then it probably is. Just ask the right questions, make sure the seller's feedback is good, and always arrange to pick up in person. That way you can withold payment until you get to see the car in person. If you really don't like it then you don't have to pay (worst case you lose your deposit).

I've always assumed that dealers would put the crap cars they didn't want in their lot on ebay to dump them on someone in another state so they didn't get a bad rep locally. They just shine them up real nice and sell them on ebay to some unsuspecting bidder. I mean, why would they sell a car on ebay for less than they could sell at their lot, unless there was something wrong with it that would create a hassle for them down the road locally? It doesn't make sense to me. I think the only way I'd buy one on ebay is if it were a private party seller, not some used car dealership you see on the side of the highway. Because my thinking is with a private party, they probably think "hey I'll just list it on ebay to get maximum exposure" or something like that.

I would never buy a car on eBay, unless I could see it in person!

There are too many factors involved. I would like to drive it, check the engine, look for previous body work, and in general, see if the car was well cared for, both interior and exterior. You can't tell from pictures whether the car had water damage, also tire conditions, brakes, etc. It's too big a purchase to chance all these things.

You are in the perfect time frame to find a low mileage 2002 ES coming off a common 36 - 40 month lease. These cars should be hitting the auto auctions right now. Find an auto broker or small dealer and tell him what you are looking for. This how I bought my current LS when it was three years old and I got it at almost $9,000 less than what the local Lexus dealer was asking for similer 3 year old LS cars.

You are in the perfect time frame to find a low mileage 2002 ES coming off a common 36 - 40 month lease.  These cars should be hitting the auto auctions right now.  Find an auto broker or small dealer and tell him what you are looking for.    This how I bought my current LS when it was three years old and I got it at almost $9,000 less than what the local Lexus dealer was asking for similer 3 year old LS cars.

This is a very good point. With leases expiring there will be a nice influx of supply of cars. Try to go for cars from warm states and states with nice roads unlike new york.

ALso check the leased cars throuroughly. People do tend to abuse their cars if they now they will be changing it in 2 - 3 years for osmething new.

You are in the perfect time frame to find a low mileage 2002 ES coming off a common 36 - 40 month lease.  These cars should be hitting the auto auctions right now.  Find an auto broker or small dealer and tell him what you are looking for.    This how I bought my current LS when it was three years old and I got it at almost $9,000 less than what the local Lexus dealer was asking for similer 3 year old LS cars.

This is a very good point. With leases expiring there will be a nice influx of supply of cars. Try to go for cars from warm states and states with nice roads unlike new york.

ALso check the leased cars throuroughly. People do tend to abuse their cars if they now they will be changing it in 2 - 3 years for osmething new.

I doubt if one needs to worry all that much about whether a leased vehicle was maintained or abused. Lease agreements require regular maintenance - the person who leased my current LS when new never missed a scheduled maintenance at the dealer and obviously took good care of the car. Abuse of a leased vehicle carries some very harsh financial penalties the end of the lease. An ES isn't the kind of car that people usually "drive the wheels off". Not that you couldn't get a bad one, but buying a formerly leased vehicle is these days a low risk proposition.

I doubt if one needs to worry all that much about whether a leased vehicle was maintained or abused. Lease agreements require regular maintenance - the person who leased my current LS when new never missed a scheduled maintenance at the dealer and obviously took good care of the car. Abuse of a leased vehicle carries some very harsh financial penalties the end of the lease. An ES isn't the kind of car that people usually "drive the wheels off". Not that you couldn't get a bad one, but buying a formerly leased vehicle is these days a low risk proposition.

Most leasing companies check if the car is cosmetically fine and intact. then its off to the auctions. I never took any of my leased vehicles into the dealer for service, always at my mechanic (unless for warranty work). The lease requires that you upkeep the car, this does not mean take it to the dealer every month.

however 1990LS400 you did the right thing of getting a car from someone who took care of it, atleast on paper.

ALso i am taking about road abuse, say always going over a deep pot hole or constant hard acceleration, playing with the transmission, etc...

NY cars are very horrible because of our road conditions, weather, and people. For $300 i have a friend who will make any car look like new. I have never returned a car with a headache, and the mileage always happened to be just on the money.

Even with todays sophisticated cars mileage can be reset. The dealer has this ability and so do some brooklyn mechanics.

It doesn't matter if you are buying a lexus or mercedes or bently all these cars can be made to look like they are brand new and were never harmed.

My best suggestion look for the guy who has a book of records on the car.

If no books then I suggest a real good aftermarket warranty thats good at your favorite mechanic.

But mrsel3, 98es is from Tennessee - not from NY where all those dishonest people are!

Seriously mrsel3, NY people (OK, I don't know about Brooklyn) are darned nice and helpful - just like in the Midwest - maybe even better - I have spent quite a bit of time in the Albany area over the past few years. Upstate NY roads are very good compared to where I live. Missouri where I frequently drive was rated as having the 49th best roads in the U.S. - that's next to last! Only one southern state (not saying which but the name also starts with Miss and ends in I) was rated worse. I think Kansas City was recently rated as having the worst streets in the U.S. - damage from potholes and worse cause many hundreds of $ of damage per car annually.

I absolutely agree that it is best to buy a car with complete records and receipts although these records usually do not get passed along through an auto auction. If you are going to buy a formerly leased vehicle, try to buy one serviced at a dealership - it is easy to check to see if it was.

The lessee of my LS was an "old !Removed!" so I might have been lucky. The main flaws on the car were two little marks on the rear bumper left by the wheel chair he hoisted into the trunk. Hardware on my wife's wheelchair matches up perfectly with the marks.

But mrsel3, 98es is from Tennessee - not from NY where all those dishonest people are!

I resent that remark! There are dishonest people all over this country. :chairshot:

Seriously mrsel3, NY people (OK, I don't know about Brooklyn) are darned nice and helpful - just like in the Midwest - maybe even better - I have spent quite a bit of time in the Albany area over the past few years.  Upstate NY roads are very good compared to where I live.  Missouri where I frequently drive was rated as having the 49th best roads in the U.S. - that's next to last!  Only one southern state (not saying which but the name also starts with Miss and ends in I) was rated worse.  I think Kansas City was recently rated as having the worst streets in the U.S. - damage from potholes and worse cause many hundreds of $ of damage per car annually. 

I absolutely agree that it is best to buy a car with complete records and receipts although these records usually do not get passed along through an auto auction.  If you are going to buy a formerly leased vehicle, try to buy one serviced at a dealership - it is easy to check to see if it was.

The lessee of my LS was an "old !Removed!" so I might have been lucky.  The main flaws on the car were two little marks on the rear bumper left by the wheel chair he hoisted into the trunk.  Hardware on my wife's wheelchair matches up perfectly with the marks.

Try driving in NYC and see the roads there, especially now since the winter has passed. I am talking about city roads!

Well, after reading everyone's thoughts, I decided there was no way I could really buy a car without seeing it and driving it. So we went to Lexus of Memphis over the weekend, and found exactly what we were looking for. 2002 ES300 w/44,000 miles, certified 3yr/100k, mystic sea (silver w/a hint of green), tan leather. It's in excellent condition. They had taken it in on a trade and had gotten it for really cheap. I got it for around $23k after taxes. I'm excited! I'll definitely miss the seat heaters on the accord that its replacing, but I think it's definitely worth it to have a lexus. I'll try to have pics up sometime in the future. Thanks for the input! Any thoughts on how much I paid are appreciated!

I'll definitely miss the seat heaters on the accord that its replacing, but I think it's definitely worth it to have a lexus. I'll try to have pics up sometime in the future. Thanks for the input!

What!!! no heaters? My 02 has got them. Did yours have the premium package?

HID, rain sensing wipers, wood steering wheel, etc. I thought seat heaters were a standard feature.

oh well. enjoy the new ride. Make sure the dealer takes care of any TSBs that haven't been.

Major ones were front brake pads and rotors, rear door noises, moonroof gasket and cowl noise.

steviej

I'll definitely miss the seat heaters on the accord that its replacing, but I think it's definitely worth it to have a lexus. I'll try to have pics up sometime in the future. Thanks for the input!

What!!! no heaters? My 02 has got them. Did yours have the premium package?

HID, rain sensing wipers, wood steering wheel, etc. I thought seat heaters were a standard feature.

oh well. enjoy the new ride. Make sure the dealer takes care of any TSBs that haven't been.

Major ones were front brake pads and rotors, rear door noises, moonroof gasket and cowl noise.

steviej

Hey steviej,

How do I find out if any work was done to my car regarding TSB?

If not would dealers do them eventhough my car is off warrant?

its also a 02, with heated seats (Nice and toasty on the streets of NYC!)

I was also surprised about the heated seats. For some reason in this area they're hard to find. Lexus of Memphis had 8 2002-2003 Es300 and NOT ONE had heated seats!?! I'm going to pick it up on thursday or friday, then i'll be able to tell you about the HID, rain sensing wipers. I'm positive it has a wood steering wheel, i've never seen an 02 without one. They just replaced the brake pads, dealer said it was something they do usually no matter what when its CPO. Since it's under warranty I can get these TSB's done anytime if they're not done already, right??? I'm really loving the sea opalescent color. He said they also did the 45k mile service. Can anyone tell me what this service includes??? Thanks.

As says in the '02 to '05 ES brochure:

"Heated seats require leather interior and are not available in all areas."

probably if the car comes from a warm state then the hetaed seats are not available or are an option.

Hey steviej,

How do I find out if any work was done to my car regarding TSB?

If not would dealers do them eventhough my car is off warrant?

If the dealer performed a TSB on the vehicle it should be in the computer database. If you are not under warranty, then it is an issue you have to take up with the dealership. Some may honor it, some may meet you half way on the price in good measure and some may say too bad, you gotta pay.

You never know until you ask. If under warranty, original or CPO, they are covered.

sorry Alan, I didn't read the brochure, let alone even have one. :(

I got the DVD though.

steviej

• 2 months later...

Glad to head you found what you were looking for. We have had (3) certified used ES300's, all from dealers off lease - usually in the 23 to 25K range. We have had a 94, 98, and currently have an 01.

Good luck - they are great cars.