Buying A High Mileage Is300

presidential13

wholesale $13,858 

private sale $15,793 

dealer retail $17,642

http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/2001/lexus...ntent..0.lexus*

i guess it's not all that bad of a deal then. thanks!

check to see fi the 90K miles service has been done. the timing belt is quite an expensive service...can range between 600-1000 dollars depending on what all is done. i would have the valv cover gasket, PCV valve, water pump, Thermostat, camshaft and crankshaft seals replaced at the same time, could bring the total towards 1000, but, it would be worth it.

The car is very clean with 19" rims.  He also has HR lowering springs that give it a 1.5" drop.  What do you guys think?

The car likely has heavy drivetrain, suspension and steering linkage wear and tear due to 96,000 miles of fast and aggressive driving. So if you are looking for reliable transportation and freedom from big future repair bills, this car would probably be the worst possible choice.

The car is very clean with 19" rims.  He also has HR lowering springs that give it a 1.5" drop.   What do you guys think?

The car likely has heavy drivetrain, suspension and steering linkage wear and tear due to 96,000 miles of fast and aggressive driving. So if you are looking for reliable transportation and freedom from big future repair bills, this car would probably be the worst possible choice.

IM DYING to ask how the hell you know anything at all about this particular car and the habits of its previous owners.

what the hell man did you knwo the owner personally?

awful quick to jump to the negative side of things. yes, it might have been driven hard, but then again, it could have been a female business exec who commuted 50 miles one way to work on a freeway? who knows?

more than likely they are highway miles. drive the car, inspect the car, if you still feel comfortable with the purchase, go through with it.

The car is very clean with 19" rims.  He also has HR lowering springs that give it a 1.5" drop.   What do you guys think?

IM DYING to ask how the hell you know anything at all about this particular car and the habits of its previous owners.

awful quick to jump to the negative side of things. yes, it might have been driven hard, but then again, it could have been a female business exec who commuted 50 miles one way to work on a freeway? who knows?

more than likely they are highway miles. drive the car, inspect the car, if you still feel comfortable with the purchase, go through with it.

Well the car was on a nice drop and 19"s. I think most of us who mod cars drive our cars a bit harder then the normal folk. Why mod it then to look at it and not have fun? Its not an outrageous comment IMO. Either way its a lexus/toyota....they last forever with proper maintence, just make sure the sellers been on top of that.

Well the car was on a nice drop and 19"s. I think most of us who mod cars drive our cars a bit harder then the normal folk. Why mod it then to look at it and not have fun? Its not an outrageous comment IMO. Either way its a lexus/toyota....they last forever with proper maintence, just make sure the sellers been on top of that.

still, assumptions shouldnt be made.

my chrysler will soon be dropped and i dont drive liek an !Removed!. some people just liek the lower stance. i was a bit hash and im sorry VGR, i just cant stand it when people make generalized comments like that when they usually arent the case.

some people modify for the look and dont really drive the car to its limits. i plan to lower my ES eventually, but i wont be taking any hard corners or swerving in and out of traffic. my comment was a little on the harsh side, and again, i apologize, i have had a long day, and to be honest, i didnt initially see that it was lowered, but that doesnt change my opinion on the buying procedure.

drive it, have it inspected, if it checks out, buy it.

my GF had a lowered WRX, never took a turn faster than 25 in her whole life.

Thanks for your input fella's. The guy drives about 60 miles one way to work so thats where the mileage came from. Also the guy is more like a lowrider type so he's more into cruising than racing. I inspected the car and its very clean and rides nice. I seen nor heard anything on the car that would suspect a problem. But I will get the car checked out and tuned up after purchase. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey my friend has a 2004 IS300 and we drive it back and forth between Lexington,KY and Memphis, TN a lot. Just normal highway driving, nothing too bad for it. I love that car and wanna sell my 93 GS300 for it, so im gonna have to work a lil bit to pay the difference. But what if i bought a completley stock 2001 IS300 with about 100,000 miles on it. And I drive it and it's still like new, have it checked out and it looks nice. Would that be a good smart thing to do?

Hey my friend has a 2004 IS300 and we drive it back and forth between Lexington,KY and Memphis, TN a lot. Just normal highway driving, nothing too bad for it. I love that car and wanna sell my 93 GS300 for it, so im gonna have to work a lil bit to pay the difference. But what if i bought a completley stock 2001 IS300 with about 100,000 miles on it. And I drive it and it's still like new, have it checked out and it looks nice. Would that be a good smart thing to do?

An IS300 with 100,000 miles and that's had all its service done and documented ought to be as good as any other lexus with that kind of miles.

The price difference for 100,000 miles as compared to "normal" 48,000 miles would be around $2000. A private party purchase would be about $15,000 for such a car.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/lexus/is3...option.1.Lexus*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2001 is300 automatic with 67k miles. I plan on keeping it for about 3 more years at which I estimate the mileage to be at 115K. I don't anticipate any serious problems within these next few years when I will either sell it or hand it down to my cousin.

What does a rebuild consist of? Does that include drivetrain, suspension, and steering or is it just the engine? About how much should owners expect to pay for this work?

I hope I won't have any unexpected major repairs that will need to be done. I have all the scheduled major service done at the dealer and I change my oil and filter every 5-6k. I always check my oil level too. I do drive a hard sometimes in stop and go and highway miles. I don't think I drive it very hard most of the time though.