Beating A Dead Horse

ford212.809

o.k. here goes. i am a new member that recently purchased a 98 es300. it has 115,000 miles on it. it runs and drives as smooth as i have ever driven any car. this question concerns the "gelling" problem. i removed the oil filler cap in preperation the change the oil. inside this area did not look "clean". the oil itself did not look very old. however, the dipstick appeared to be discolored by brown stains that i cannot remove. like i said, this car is very smooth mechanically. should i be concerned? what are the chances that lexus will take care of the "potential" sludge problem? i have read alot of information on this websight about this problem. thanks in advance for your knowledgable replies.

o.k. here goes. i am a new member that recently purchased a 98 es300.  it has 115,000 miles on it.  it runs and drives as smooth as i have ever driven any car.  this question concerns the "gelling" problem.  i removed the oil filler cap in preperation the change the oil.  inside this area did not look "clean".  the oil itself did not look very old.  however, the dipstick appeared to be discolored by brown stains that i cannot remove.  like i said, this car is very smooth mechanically.  should i be concerned?  what are the chances that lexus will take care of the "potential" sludge problem?  i have read alot of information on this websight about this problem.  thanks in advance for your knowledgable replies.

The brown stains are probably just oil varnish. thats normal. most engines that dont have synthetic oil (DONT START) have this, there isnt much that can be done about it.

if you are really THAT concerned about your engine, then do a search. :D i dont know enough about the sludging as it wasnt an issue on my model. Wish i could be of more help.

Basic synthetics leave the film also but higher end ones which make a home oil change 2 or 3 times more expensive but last longer tend to remove the films nicley.

Switching to a synthetic now might be ok but be prepared for basic leaks as it usually loosens debris causing gaskets to dry . The new synthtic cleans it and it starts to leak now that the band aid is removed.

Basic synthetics leave the film also but higher end ones which make a home oil change 2 or 3 times more expensive but last longer tend to remove the films nicley.

Switching to a synthetic now might be ok but be prepared for basic leaks as it usually loosens debris causing gaskets to dry . The new synthtic cleans it and it starts to leak now that the band aid is removed.

Thanks for the info. I have owned a dozen or so vehicles in the last 25 years and I have never heard of "oil varnish." Now, what caused the inside of the oil filler cap area (inside valve cover) to be brown color?

As your engine runs, it generates extreme heat. These high temperatures actually change the components of your engine’s oil, breaking it down into a residue that remains on every part of your vehicle’s engine – including non-metal parts such as engine seals.

As your engine runs, it generates extreme heat. These high temperatures actually change the components of your engine’s oil, breaking it down into a residue that remains on every part of your vehicle’s engine – including non-metal parts such as engine seals.

I appreciate the replys. I am going to take it to the local Lexus dealer this week. Maybe, just maybe, they will give me a "new" engine if it is sludged.

I appreciate the replys. I am going to take it to the local Lexus dealer this week. Maybe, just maybe, they will give me a "new" engine if it is sludged.

Don't count on it. Why would Lexus or anyone want to give you a new engine, especially when the engine in your car is performing very well. After all, your car is no spring chicken....115,000 miles!!! :chairshot:

Don't take this wrong, but I'm willing to bet the dealer is going to laugh at you. I just hope not to your face. If you know and trust a good shop take it to them and have them inspect the car. Most of all, the compreshion on the engine.

If its good. No big deal. If it is bad, you have learned that on getting a used car, always have it checked out first.

If it is bad, why would Lexus do anything when you are not the one that bought it from them, and you have no mantanance records?

When you pull the dipstick, smell it. If it smells burned at one piont this car got way to hot.

Again I do not want you to take this wrong, but the time to check out this car was before you bought it. What ever this ccar does or does not need, it is now on you.

I learned the hard way on the first cars I bought. Man was I ripped, but I "should" have known better. Now I do not buy any car without a inspection report from a shop I know and trust. Yes it my cost me 2 to 3 hours of shop time, but it is cheep in the long run.

I hope you car is fine. I would recomend finding a good independant shop, unless money is no big deal, becouse dealers are going to make you pay and pay. I would have all fluids in this car changed out. Why? Bexcouse you have no idea when it was last done. This way you will know how old the iol is. How old the coolant is, and so on...

Don't take this wrong, but I'm willing to bet the dealer is going to laugh at you.  I just hope not to your face.  If you know and trust a good shop take it to them and have them inspect the car.  Most of all, the compreshion on the engine.

If its good.  No big deal.  If it is bad, you have learned that on getting a used car, always have it checked out first.

If it is bad, why would Lexus do anything when you are not the one that bought it from them, and you have no mantanance records?

When you pull the dipstick, smell it.  If it smells burned at one piont this car got way to hot. 

Again I do not want you to take this wrong, but the time to check out this car was before you bought it.  What ever this ccar does or does not need, it is now on you.

I learned the hard way on the first cars I bought.  Man was I ripped, but I "should" have known better.  Now I do not buy any car without a inspection report from a shop I know and trust.  Yes it my cost me 2 to 3 hours of shop time, but it is cheep in the long run.

I hope you car is fine.  I would recomend finding a good independant shop, unless money is no big deal, becouse dealers are going to make you pay and pay.  I would have all fluids in this car changed out.  Why?  Bexcouse you have no idea when it was last done.  This way you will know how old the iol is.  How old the coolant is, and so on...

Hey 914, life is way too good for me to be offended by someone I have never met. I appreciate your reply. Like I said, my main concern was the "dark brown" color inside the oil filler area. I have owned MANY vehicles with 100's of 1000's of miles put on them & never seen this before. I bought this car from a well respected seller on ebay with over 150 vehicles sold and not one negative feedback. I am overall pleased with the product he delivered.

The gelling problem only occurs with ES300 cars that have not received timely oil changes? So owners who buy a used ES300 that doesn't have service records should not expect Lexus to be responsible for problems caused by maintenance neglect.

Don't take this wrong, but I'm willing to bet the dealer is going to laugh at you.  I just hope not to your face.  If you know and trust a good shop take it to them and have them inspect the car.  Most of all, the compreshion on the engine.

If its good.  No big deal.  If it is bad, you have learned that on getting a used car, always have it checked out first.

When you pull the dipstick, smell it.  If it smells burned at one piont this car got way to hot. 

Again I do not want you to take this wrong, but the time to check out this car was before you bought it.  What ever this ccar does or does not need, it is now on you.

I learned the hard way on the first cars I bought.  Man was I ripped, but I "should" have known better.  Now I do not buy any car without a inspection report from a shop I know and trust.  Yes it my cost me 2 to 3 hours of shop time, but it is cheep in the long run.

I hope you car is fine.  I would recomend finding a good independant shop, unless money is no big deal, becouse dealers are going to make you pay and pay.  I would have all fluids in this car changed out.  Why?  Bexcouse you have no idea when it was last done.  This way you will know how old the iol is.  How old the coolant is, and so on...

Hey 914, life is way too good for me to be offended by someone I have never met. I appreciate your reply. Like I said, my main concern was the "dark brown" color inside the oil filler area. I have owned MANY vehicles with 100's of 1000's of miles put on them & never seen this before. I bought this car from a well respected seller on ebay with over 150 vehicles sold and not one negative feedback. I am overall pleased with the product he delivered.

Actually there is a service campaign that Toyota has initiated in which it will replace sludged engines in all 1997-up Camry, Avalon, Solara, Highlander, Sienna, and ES300 (basically vehicles equipped with the V6) for free. A member with the user name "Coltonb" had his engine replaced due to sludging and Lexus covered. You may want to look up his topics to see how he delt with this issue. Be aware though you need to show "some" proof that oil changes were done. Basically if you have any records of the car or any information from the Lexus database that may be able to help prove that the car was fairly maintained.

I just went through this with Lexus. If you cannot show that the oil has been changed at least every 5,000 miles since the car rolled off the assembly line, you have very little chance. You may want to speak with the previous owner and see what they can provide, or where they had it serviced. Oil change places keep pretty good records. If you can't get your hands on actual receipts or service records, your time is probably better spent elsewhere.

I was just reading about the guy who got that engine replased and thought about you. I may be eating my words. And I will be happy to do so.

Here is his post:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=15714&hl=

As for service records. I was once a P.I. and I know a few things about hunting down records. I'll be happy to share the how twos. Contact a freindly dealer and have them run the vin#. The service history will come up (for services done at the dealership). Contact DMV to find the old owner(s). Law is deferant from state to state on what they will give you and why. But if you show you own car now and need to hunt down service records, more likly then not they will give you a ownership history on the car. Look in the door jam. Some service stations put there stickers there. Pull a car fax report to see how many owners etc., they show. If you get names of owners I can give you info on how to locate, Just PM me if you need more help. Lets hope my other coment turns out to be totally wrong!