1991 Ls400 Headlights!

chromiez

i tryed asking before, but does anyone have any idea how to adjust or aim the headlights on a 1991 LS400??? i know theres some screws near the headlights but when i turn it i dont really see anything happening unless i doing it wrong.

i know how to do that, i'm talking about the actually mechanics of doing it, i dont see any screws or adjusting knobs at all. there is one but when i screw it it dosent do anything, maybe i'm looking at the wrong ones

Although I'm not sure if there is much differnce between 90 and 91, the adjustment procedure is probably about the same. By the way, I found all this out when one of my bulbs burned out. At that time I noticed that one of the lens covers could be moved. After studying the complicated, but well engineered system, I determined that there are several sets of screws, two of which are for headlight adjustment. What happenes is that the nut that the screws, screw into come loose so that the screw just turns. If you study the setup and disassemble the headlight system, you will see what I mean. I'm pretty good with car stuff but I will say it took me 30 minutes to understand it. Rest assured that I changed both bulbs since I already knew how to do it.

Although I'm not sure if there is much differnce between 90 and 91, the adjustment procedure is probably about the same. By the way, I found all this out when one of my bulbs burned out. At that time I noticed that one of the lens covers could be moved. After studying the complicated, but well engineered system, I determined that there are several sets of screws, two of which are for headlight adjustment. What happenes is that the nut that the screws, screw into come loose so that the screw just turns. If you study the setup and disassemble the headlight system, you will see what I mean. I'm pretty good with car stuff but I will say it took me 30 minutes to understand it. Rest assured that I changed both bulbs since I already knew how to do it.

what the? sounds complicated. i'll give it a look though. also am i the only one here that has to take out the battery and air filter system just to access the headlights? me any my friend been doing it every since, its not as easy as the book says. the screws for the headlamps to the front end dont look like they want to come out at all.

I did not have to remove the battery or air thing. I did take out more screws than I had to on the first side. Look at it and go slow and you will figure it out. There is the possibility that they changed it for 91, as mine is a 90. Most Lexus stuff is over-engineered to the hilt so it does take awhile to figure it out. Good luck. Denny

i give up denny! i was looking at it for a good 20mins, couldnt really figure out anything. all i see is the long screw moving the bottom screw, but only to a certain point and stops. when the screw is turned it only moves the bottom screw a small bit and stops even if you keep on !Removed!. everything else seems to be stationary to me. can you help me out here? i dont think they changed anything from the 90-91

I understand. They certainly made something simple into something quite complicated. The only other suggestion is to make sure the nuts are on the back of the mounting screws for the headlight unit because mine have come loose which causes the base of the headlight to tilt inward. Since the nut on mine was missing I didn't notice it at first. I just sat there rocking the thing and looking at it and suddenly I saw what the problem was. I looked in my misc. hardware box and found a nut, put it on and I am good to go. Tell you what, I am heading up to New Jersey later today, then to Syracuse on Friday. When I get to the 'cuse, I'll look at it and see if I can come up with anything better. Since the Lexus is up in New Jersey right now I can't go out and look at it right now. Maybe a couple of things you can help me out with, like how do you put a picture of your car below your name on this website? I saw you had it. I did put a few pictures of my rig in the gallery. And also, does your book give info on switching out the A/C compressor?

Thanks, Denny

I understand. They certainly made something simple into something quite complicated. The only other suggestion is to make sure the nuts are on the back of the mounting screws for the headlight unit because mine have come loose which causes the base of the headlight to tilt inward. Since the nut on mine was missing I didn't notice it at first. I just sat there rocking the thing and looking at it and suddenly I saw what the problem was. I looked in my misc. hardware box and found a nut, put it on and I am good to go. Tell you what, I am heading up to New Jersey later today, then to Syracuse on Friday. When I get to the 'cuse, I'll look at it and see if I can come up with anything better. Since the Lexus is up in New Jersey right now I can't go out and look at it right now. Maybe a couple of things you can help me out with, like how do you put a picture of your car below your name on this website? I saw you had it. I did put a few pictures of my rig in the gallery. And also, does your book give info on switching out the A/C compressor?

Thanks, Denny

thanks alot denny

i took a picture of my car with a digital camera and then reduced the size to fit the standards for an avatar. thats what your looking for an avatar, its under "my controls" when your logged in i think you can figure it out from there. all you have to do is find a picture the right size and then upload it.

my book dosent say anything really about changing the a/c compressor at all. try to do a search on the internet, i'm pretty sure someone has done it themsleves.

I'll have to wait until I get back to VB as my pictures are on my home computer. How complicated can replacing an a/c compressor be? I think I'll figure it out. I do know one think, the Lexus was not designed to provide a refreshing airflow even with the sunroom open. Without a/c this is one hot car!

Thanks for the help. Denny

This is how you adjust your headlights. you will need a cordless drill with a 1/4 extension and a 10mm socket or just us a long philips bit. there is a adjustment screw that is visible on the headlamp assembly, the other one is located under the black plastic plug with a X cut in it, you can remove the plug and it makes it easier to get the bit or socket on. set the drill on slow speed and turn it to see which way the light moves, I can't remember which screw moves what, but don't try this by hand you'll be their all night cranking on it. with the gear reduction and fine threads this is why you need a drill.

the plastic plugs i'm talking about are on top of the metal radiator support. that's the bar that about 2 inches wide and runs from the back of one headlight to the back of the other headlight, it's also what is between the driver side headlight and the battery. there should be about 4 plugs along the support, just pull them all off and the adjustment screw should be under the two outside ones, about 3 inches from the fender. The plugs are about 3/4 inch diamater and have a X cut in them.

• 5 months later...

God dang...why is everything so complicated with lexus.

I have the same problem on my 91 ls. I keep turning the screw and nothing happens.

I have 4100k lights on my lex and they are so bright and high up people think i'm

driving on long lights and get *BLEEP*ed at me. I have to give a try with power tools like you said.

I just purchased 7500k lights and will put them on but first need to adjust the lights.

Anyone has any diagrams to post for adjustment ?

Hey 91 I changed both bulbs and didn't have to remove the battery. I just started unscrewing screws. I sson figured out which I didn't need to remove and put them back in. Eventually, I was able to figure it out. I tried to remember exactly, but alas, I have forgotten.

".......Do I really need to remove the batt and air filter?"

YES..you have to remove battery and air filter to change headlight bulbs.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way around it.

The screws for headlights are for adjustment and removal of whole lamp,

which is more difficult then removal of battery and air filter.

For fog lights and side markers you do not have to.

ANYONE HAS PICTURES SHOWING HOW TO ADJUST HEADLIGHTS

OR SERVICE MANUAL PAGES SHOWING IT ?