2000 Ls400

agc

Hello all, I am coming over from the GS forum, I originally wanted a GS, but my wife would prefer the LS because of the ride. I have located a car and wanted to know your opinion on pricing, it's a 2000 LS400 with about 35k on it, silver/black and seems to be in excellent shape. After a a few conversation (negotiation), he is sticking to $25k

Also can you tell me more about the ride, maintenance cost and reliability of these cars. I have never owned a Lexus and need some newb information

I just did a Kelly Blue Book and come out with $23,200. Does this one have options such as the Nakamichi sound system or a Navigation System? Navigation is really cool to have, though not a necessity. Also offered is an "air suspension" which gives a great ride but is costly to repair down the road. I just bought a '98 and don't think I will ever own a better car. They are probably the most reliable cars on the planet, and I would be surprised if there are any serious issues with the one you are considering, but... be sure to check the VIN to make sure it has not been in an accident or loss. Take the VIN to a dealer and check the service history. It should have had its 30k service recently, which costs a few hundred bucks. That is very low mileage for the year, so it should be in immaculate condition. Even with the low miles, I'd still recommend paying the Dealer $80 to $100 to do a full inspection. Even at this mileage, brakes/tires could be well used, etc. The seller said he is firm, now after your inspection you probably have a few minor items of attention and therefore will have room to negotiate further. At that price is sounds like a "fair" deal, so make sure this is the color you love with the options you love. As you probably know it was redesigned in 2001 and renamed the LS430, and there is a significant price jump between those years, so I think the '00 is one of the best bargains. Some people prefer the styling of the '98-'00 the best, but that is personal opinion. I think it's a great decision with the LS400, I've never heard of anyone who has disliked owning this car, ever! Good luck!

Gumart1,

Thanks for the info, as far as options, it does not have a Navi but does have the Nach; as for the air suspension I will call the dealer and find out. I did call the servicing dealer (not the selling dealer) to confirm all services and maintenance have been done (aside from the 30k, PO decided not to do it because he was trading it in). It's hard to get a value for these cars because I see prices all over the place.

With only 35k miles, that seems like a reasonable price, but I wouldn't go any higher. $25k for a car that will easily go 250k is a small price to pay! ;)

The ride is excellent. It's very comfortable but not floaty. I've done some "accident avoidance" of my own at 75mph(damnable cell phone), and the tires didn't even chirp. The car was completely stable. True, your neighbors 540i will outhandle it 7 ways to Sunday, but I don't find the ride as isolating as its reputation holds, and above all, it kept its composure when I had to dodge some cars on the interstate.

Maint. costs are very high. Part prices are high, and labor is very expensive. It seems like nothing is really a quick job on this car since everything is under a bolted covering; even to get to the oil filter, you have to unbolt a covering with like 20 screws on it(ughh). On the filpside, you won't be doing that much maint. on it, so I suppose it's a moot point in the big picture.

agc,

the 30K service is basically changine all filters and fluids.......it should be done; and cost is usuall $600 from the dealer. If you are DIY, you can do it for $150-200 and maybe over a couple of weekends -- if you don't want to spend all day at one time......

like all the guys have said....the car is durable but expensive to maintain -- even DIY maintain.

The ride is nice.................. B)

Thanks all for the info,

Let me give you a little backround on the deal. Back in Nov. 04, I purchased a used F150 (22k miles, supercab Harley) for $16k (based on research the price was good). Before I bought the truck I spoke to several people about car seats in the back and some said not a problem and others said I should opt for a supercrew. I took a chance (the idi--t that I am) without going to the local dealer with cars seats to try it in the back (car was from out of state). I got the truck and loved it but realized that one car seat is not a problem, but two will definitely make it tight up front. When I bought the truck I knoew we were expecting a second child this summer, but I said not a problem (again the idi-- that I am). Well to make a long story short, the truck is fine with ONE car seat and only one; a second would make it very uncomfortable. So I started looking for a sedan; mostly 7 and 5 series BMW and GS430. I found a

- 01 GS430 26k miles for $12k plus my truck (asking $29.9k), but it sold (I was too late, waited for 2 weeks before I decided),

- 01 530i 27k for $11.5k plus my truck (asking $29.6k), but it sold (again I took too long, waited also two weeks before I decided)

- now I found a 00 LS400 35k for $9.5k plus my truck (asking $26.9k).

So the deal is a bit complicated because of the trade (all cars are out of state), but I think with the deals I am looking at I won't get hit too bad.

Keep the opinions coming

Thanks

AGC

They're great cars and at that mileage if its in good condition with the nak (which is rare) that seems like a good price. The accolades of these cars are spread all over the forum, just gotta look for em.

One peice of advice, be weary of the 5 series BMW. They are deceptively small inside, in fact their interior volume is slightly smaller than a Toyota Corolla, so I don't know how 2 car seats would fit in the rear. Probably the best car to get for this would be a BMW 740Li but they should fit in the LS400 too.

I think it is a very "smart" purchase for the money. Just think of the depreciation that was lost from the new price and only 35k miles of enjoyment. By the way my KBB value was for good condition private party - which is what you want to shoot for, but the Nakamichi definitely adds more value and I think the price is pretty fair. I am big into feeling like I got a deal, so if they won't move on the price at least I'd insist that they do the 30k service that is due, they are a Dealer and can get it done for almost nothing. A warranty on it would be an added bonus as well. That's an awesome color IMO, very timeless. Mine with 97k, besides a few minor issues, basically looks and runs like a new car. I hope it works out for you!

That depends on whether or not you prefer the platinum edition. It cost more when it was new so it'll effect the price now. The platinum edition includes different badges, wheels, wood, leather, and floormats.

One other question, if you have two identicle cars, condition, mileage and color but one is a platinum and the other is not; is the platinum worth an extra $1k

Like Steve said......only if it's worth it to you. I personally do not like the "light greyish colored wood" of the platinum........I prefer the warmer, richer look.

Floor mats cost you $150 new.

So, for me, the anwer is no.

I've got a 95 with 94k miles. I traded my 2001 maxima se for it. Have not a single complaint, not one. These cars last forever, and they are sooooo nice to drive, especially on a road trip. They are expensive to fix, but if you do your research here, you'll find places to buy the oem parts for cheap "relatively speaking". The only thing that really seems to wear out are the rubber bushings in the suspension. You have to buy whole new control arms, not just the bushing. But there are guys out there that are manufacturing just the bushings. These don't go until around the 100k mark, some last longer. Mine are getting close. Other than that, you'll love having a LS400! They are the best used car deal on the planet, period. You can't beat getting a top of the line luxury automobile with no depreciation hit. I paid $14k for mine w/ 84k miles. I had the 90k mile service performed as a condition of the sale. These cars aren't even fully broken in until they hit 80k miles. Buy it! It's a great deal and good price. You'll be like us, just amazed by it and happy! :D

The wheels grow on you...

Light woods are in, the LS430 has several light wood options as does the SC430, on the 05 ES330 the tan and grey interiors have an almost yellow blond birds eye maple.

The color of the maple on my Platinum Series looks red to me. Whether you like it is a matter of personal preference. It may sound odd, but my wife and I have chosen the furniture in different rooms in our home. "My rooms" are furnished with red maple or Scandinavian teak furniture. "Her rooms" are furnished with dark Ethan Allen furniture. "My furniture" is more the color of the maple wood in the Platinum Series. "Her furniture" is more the color as the standard LS400 walnut wood. So I guess I was particularly happy to see the maple in the Platinum Series since it matches my tastes.

The Platinum Series wheels (same as 2001 LS430 wheels) are not particularly important to me either. It was more important that they were "brand new in the box" (replaced under warranty) and chromed at that. I was not looking for chrome wheels but I have to admit they were an attractive bonus. I like the black badges of the Platinum mainly because it it is hard to see the "L" on the front grill - makes it kind of a "stealth Lexus" from the front. Plus, all these differences make it easier to tell which car is mine since there are usually two 99 LS400's, same color as mine, parked within a few feet of mine in our company parking lot.

Tell me if I am wrong, but I think there were only two LS400 model years where you can identify the model year by the car's exterior appearance: The 1997 Coach Edition and the 2000 Platinum Series.

Is the Platinum Series worth more? It might not be to others but it certainly was to me.

The color of the maple on my Platinum Series looks red to me.  Whether you like it is a matter of personal preference.  It may sound odd, but my wife and I have chosen the furniture in different rooms in our home.  "My rooms" are furnished with red maple or Scandinavian teak furniture.  "Her rooms" are furnished with dark Ethan Allen furniture.  "My furniture" is more the color of the maple wood in the Platinum Series.  "Her furniture" is more the color as the standard LS400 walnut wood.  So I guess I was particularly happy to see the maple in the Platinum Series since it matches my tastes.

The Platinum Series wheels (same as 2001 LS430 wheels) are not particularly important to me either.  It was more important that they were "brand new in the box" (replaced under warranty) and chromed at that.  I was not looking for chrome wheels but I have to admit they were an attractive bonus.  I like the black badges of the Platinum mainly because it it is hard to see the "L" on the front grill - makes it kind of a "stealth Lexus" from the front.  Plus, all these differences make it easier to tell which car is mine since there are usually two 99 LS400's, same color as mine, parked within a few feet of mine in our company parking lot.

Tell me if I am wrong, but I think there were only two LS400 model years where you can identify the model year by the car's exterior appearance:  The 1997 Coach Edition and the 2000 Platinum Series.

Is the Platinum Series worth more?  It might not be to others but it certainly was to me.

Jim,

I was wondering when you'd be along............. :D

thats very true about different prefernces, i like the color of that wood i just don't like it on the black/gray int. it would look sweet on tan lthr...i guess my personal perference (which it doesn't matter) is more of a dark burlwood type of wood trim

I like the black badges of the Platinum mainly because it it is hard to see the "L" on the front grill - makes it kind of a "stealth Lexus" from the front

I agree 100% stealthy and elegant all in one :cheers:

Silver- Yes, the lighter woods look much better with the tan interiors, I just don't feel it on black or grey. The 01-03 LS430 standard black interior came with wood the color of the platinum series and I thought it looked very garish to me.

Jim- I've found that each car has a slightly different tone wood, I looked at a lot of LS400s when I was shopping and never found 2 with wood that looked exactly the same.

As for the models of the LS you can tell from the exterior, you can obviously tell the different versions of the car (i.e. a 95-97 from a 98-00) but otherwise I think you're right with the exception of the 01 LS430 with base 16" wheels. In 01 they had a different design 16" wheel and there was so much outcry about how ugly they were they changed to the 00 platinum wheel (only painted, not machined like on the plat.) in 2002. So if you see an LS430 with this wheel its automatically a 2001.

I'll see if I can find pics.