Engine Check & Trac Off Lights On... ... :(

dickholy

I am driving a Lexus ES300 1997 model. It has nearly 140K on it. The weather in my city is extremely cold recently with heavy snow and ice on road. The Engine check light suddenly came out about 2 days ago while i was driving normally like 30MPH on a cleaned highway. i followed all the instructions on the user manual trying to solve the problem but non worked. Today the TRAC Off light was on while i was on a big spinning, and wont go off when i turn off and on the engine. i brought the car to Auto-zone for check and came with the code PO135(Bank-1 oxygen sensor failed). I just wonder if i just leave the lights on and drive, will that cause any further damnage to the car or it is just a warning lights matter? Auto-zone will cost $149 + tax for the part(O2 sensor) and no idea for the labor. However, i went to lexus dealer earlier when the TRAC Off was on and they asked $90 for just a check up. i think they will probably feel like people can buy lexus brand can also afford the un-reasonable maintain fees. :cries: :cries: :cries:

The CEL and TRAC OFF light combo. This usually means the car has gone into limp or safety mode.

One way to find out. Resolve the P0135 code. try www.sparkplugs.com for a better price than Autozone. You can even get OEM here. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is next to the firewall. You will need a special socket for the O2 sensor and it may be easier to get at it from under the car. Still thinking of doing it? It's not too bad if you are mechanically inclined.

steviej

The CEL and TRAC OFF light combo.  This usually means the car has gone into limp or safety mode.

One way to find out.  Resolve the P0135 code.  try www.sparkplugs.com for a better price than Autozone.  You can even get OEM here. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is next to the firewall.  You will need a special socket for the O2 sensor and it may be easier to get at it from under the car.  Still thinking of doing it?  It's not too bad if you are mechanically inclined.

steviej

I've been reading where some have suggested taking the neg. ground off the battery for 30 min. and seeing if the lights stay on afterwards, others have suggested the fault may be fixed by cleaning out the carbon junk professionally rather than replacing sensor(s). Do you have a protocol you would suggest before undertaking this specific repair after getting the codes read. BTW, what is the special socket and can it be used for other repair items, and do you have a appoximate cost? Thanks much.

The CEL and TRAC OFF light combo.  This usually means the car has gone into limp or safety mode.

One way to find out.  Resolve the P0135 code.  try www.sparkplugs.com for a better price than Autozone.  You can even get OEM here. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is next to the firewall.  You will need a special socket for the O2 sensor and it may be easier to get at it from under the car.  Still thinking of doing it?  It's not too bad if you are mechanically inclined.

steviej

thx steviej, but when the car is in safety mode, is it still safety to be drove without replace the parts for 2 months? because i want the car to be fixed/replaced parts by my parents when i go back to NYC during the spring breaks in March. :P :P :P :P

TrueBlues:

disconnecting the neg will remove the symptom not the cause. True if the light does not come back on immediately, it doesn't mean that it is gone for good.

As for protocols, a good cleaning couldn't hurt and would only help the entire vehicle even if it doesn't clear the O2 sensor trouble code. Do a google search or call around your area to reputable autoshops that may offer a service called motorvac.

The special socket is designed specifically for O2 sensors and Air/Fuel sensors. This socket has a space down one side that allows the wire from the sensor to exit the socket and not get crimped up inside. They go for about $15 and come in 3/8" and 1/2" drive

dickholy:

you haven't determined that the CEL and TRAC are solely caused by the P0135 code. As for leaving it 2 months in this condition it is hard to say. I know of people that have had their CEL on for almost a year and no signs of problems. I know of people that have left the CEL due to faulty O2 sensors and suffered premature catalytic converter failure due to high amounts of unburned fuel in their exhaust.

It's a decision you have to make.

steviej

Hey Stevej,

I owned a CPO (certified Pre-Owned) and bought an extended warranty plan which is still in effect. From reading it, it looks like anything outside a scheduled maintenance should be covered. I will call my dealer and verify. Does your experience suggest that any problems related to CEL and TRAC OFF light being on should all be covered under warranty regardless what the cause?

Thanks.

Unbelievable timing of this post . . .

My daughter (driving a 97 ES300 w/115k) is in college about 200 miles from me and just before she left to go back to school, her CEL came on with no warnings or symptoms at all. It was a Sunday and she had to get back to school for a meeting. So, I told her to watch the gauges and be extra aware of any warning signs that something was going wrong. She made it up there fine.

Today, she informed me that she was getting off the fwy and the car stuttered and the Trac off light came on. She says it seems to drive fine now, but both lights are on. I suppose whatever caused the CEL light may have worsened and now it has gone into limp mode. She probably can't tell the difference.

Anyway, I told her to find a Lexus/Toyota shop (not necessarily dealer) and get it taken care of. There are no Autozones or Pep Boys' in San Luis Obispo, CA. We don't know what code it threw. Assuming it's the Oxy Sensor like mentioned above, is that a lot of labor hours to replace? I assume the part is as stated, around $150.

Thanks,

Neil

Unbelievable timing of this post . . .

My daughter (driving a 97 ES300 w/115k) is in college about 200 miles from me and just before she left to go back to school, her CEL came on with no warnings or symptoms at all.  It was a Sunday and she had to get back to school for a meeting.  So, I told her to watch the gauges and be extra aware of any warning signs that something was going wrong.  She made it up there fine.

Today, she informed me that she was getting off the fwy and the car stuttered and the Trac off light came on.  She says it seems to drive fine now, but both lights are on.  I suppose whatever caused the CEL light may have worsened and now it has gone into limp mode.  She probably can't tell the difference.

Anyway, I told her to find a Lexus/Toyota shop (not necessarily dealer) and get it taken care of.  There are no Autozones or Pep Boys' in San Luis Obispo, CA.  We don't know what code it threw.  Assuming it's the Oxy Sensor like mentioned above,  is that a lot of labor hours to replace?  I assume the part is as stated, around $150.

Thanks,

Neil

my dealership charged 1.5-2hrs labor for changing an O2 sensor. www.sparkplugs.com for cheaper parts.

Hey Stevej,

Does your experience suggest that any problems related to CEL and TRAC OFF light being on should all be covered under warranty regardless what the cause?

nope!

The entire car should be covered under the CPO 3 year/100,000 mile warranty, just like a new car would be under the original 4 year/50k mile warranty. Items like brake pads, oil filters of coarse are not.

If it is past the CPO 3/100k and is now under the extended warranty. It all depends on the codes and what is stated in your extended warranty.

Read the fine print. Some stuff is covered, some stuff is half covered and some stuff isn't covered at all. You may even find that stuff that might be covered isn't covered until the inspector from the extended warranty company does his or her own inspection.

you won't know until you talk to your dealer and the extended warranty company.

steviej

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<HELP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

today i changed my O2 sensor(bought the part from the AutoZone). replaced right after in front of the store. the guy from the autozone erased the check engine light code by a little hand-size tool after i replaced the sensor. the lights dis-appeared for a while. but now it came back on............................:)...... help give me a solution.. thxxx :chairshot: :chairshot:

autozone checked the CEL for a code PO135(O2 sensor failed). today i changed the sensor according to the CODE PO135. the guy from the autozone erased the memory on the car by a hand-size tool. all the error lights went off after erased. but after about 10 mins of driving, the CEL came back again.... huhuhuh :(, i am not sure if the car needs time to regonize the new sensor..........but anyhow, i will go back to autozone tomorrow morning to re-check. i will come back with whatever my experience. :blushing:

autozone checked the CEL for a code PO135(O2 sensor failed). today i changed the sensor according to the CODE PO135. the guy from the autozone erased the memory on the car by a hand-size tool. all the error lights went off after erased. but after about 10 mins of driving, the CEL came back again.... huhuhuh :(, i am not sure if the car needs time to regonize the new sensor..........but anyhow, i will go back to autozone tomorrow morning to re-check. i will come back with whatever my experience.:blushing:

could have been the wrong O2 sensor, did itsay it was a downstream? or an Upstream?

a 135 i believe is a Downstream. so which one did you replace? the one right after/inside the exhaust manifold or the one rigth before/inside the catalytic converter?

get the code read again and see if it is the same. You have multiple AF sensors and O2 sensors.

You changed out the correct one, right?

Lastly, did you replace with Denso or Bosch? I'm guessing Bosch cause Autozone don't sell Denso as far as I know.

steviej

that is bank 2. Wrong sensor! I hope you didn't throw away the good sensor.

I told you in my first post in this thread that it was the one near the firewall.

:whistles:

steviej

Now, point of order. I have merged this thread with your original thread. By starting this separate thread, you had the same questions and conversations going on in two threads.

this is the one i changed today/

That is bank 2 sensor 1, which is the WRONG ONE, as I have said twice now.

Bank 1 is the side of the motor that is next to the firewall. The firewall is the wall that is between the motor and the passenger cabin. There are three cylinders on that side that go in a an exhaust manifold, too.

It is not so easy to get at this sensor. I hope you have long arms. I find a milk crate is helpful to stand on and be careful of your belt buckle when you lean over the fender.

steveij

:cries: thanks for ur help stevej... i am really appreciated ur useful replies. but since i already changed the wrong one, do u think i should just leave it there or take it off and return? it is $149 from autozone. :( i feel stupid now.. also, what is the different btw these Universial sensor and the OE sensors? because the universial is very cheap, like only half price of the OE sensors. :cries:

:cries: thanks for ur help stevej... i am really appreciated ur useful replies. but since i already changed the wrong one, do u think i should just leave it there or take it off and return? it is $149 from autozone. :( i feel stupid now.. also, what is the different btw these Universial sensor and the OE sensors? because the universial is very cheap, like only half price of the OE sensors.:cries:

ummm...Put it in the other side, it shoudl be the same sensor. a long as you didnt throw the other one away.

EDIT: DONT DO THIS, it is different. i would buy the OE identical sensor. and leave the one you have already replaced alone. you will see improvement from it, it was not wasted cash.

:cries: thanks for ur help stevej... i am really appreciated ur useful replies. but since i already changed the wrong one, do u think i should just leave it there or take it off and return? it is $149 from autozone. :( i feel stupid now.. also, what is the different btw these Universial sensor and the OE sensors? because the universial is very cheap, like only half price of the OE sensors.:cries:

some universal o2 sensors require splicing into wires. you probably don't want to go that routre. stick with oem sensors. you could practically have bought 2 Denso oem o2 sensors on www.sparkplugs.com compared to the aftermarket one you bought at Autozone. i would think if bank1sensor 1 and bank2sensor1 are the same sensors then just leave the autozone one in place and replace the defective one with the oem one you accidentally removed. i have no experience with an Bosch o2 sensor so can't tell you the life expectancy on it.