Timing Belt Failure?

Just curious...For those of you who ignored (or procrastinated) the 90k timing belt replacement and your timing belt failed, what was your mileage when it failed? If you haven't experienced this personally have you heard from others when their belt failed?

As far as I know, I've never heard a Lexus tech say they saw one fail... most people take care of them. I've heard people mention very high miles of the original timing belts - like 2ook+

I think the book says every 80k... I try to stay around that range, I look at the belt a bit here and there too..

As far as I know, I've never heard a Lexus tech say they saw one fail...  most people take care of them.  I've heard people mention very high miles of the original timing belts - like 2ook+ 

I think the book says every 80k...  I try to stay around that range, I look at the belt a bit here and there too..

My owner's manual for my '95 SC400 only mentions changing it for shedule A, which is like hard use conditions, at 60K miles. For normal driving, it doesn't even mention it, implying it doesn't need to be changed at all.So where do these 90K recommendations come from?

As far as I know, I've never heard a Lexus tech say they saw one fail...  most people take care of them.  I've heard people mention very high miles of the original timing belts - like 2ook+ 

I think the book says every 80k...  I try to stay around that range, I look at the belt a bit here and there too..

My owner's manual for my '95 SC400 only mentions changing it for shedule A, which is like hard use conditions, at 60K miles. For normal driving, it doesn't even mention it, implying it doesn't need to be changed at all.So where do these 90K recommendations come from?

Your mechanic can actually inspect the belt by way of a cover that can be removed. Cheap insurance, no?

The owner's manual for my '98 SC400 specifically states that the timing belt be replaced at the 90,000 mile service.

The owner's manual for my '98 SC400 specifically states that the timing belt be replaced at the 90,000 mile service.

Thanks, I will check further. I wonder if that requirement was added for '98 and later engines,though, with the higher HP and Variable Valve Timing.

Just have the belt checked. If it is cracked it is toast!

Thanks, I will check further. I wonder if that requirement was added for '98 and later engines,though, with the higher HP and Variable Valve Timing.

The timing belt on my 1st LS (a 90) failed at 84,000 miles when the water pump failed on a cold winter day. The indie shop owner (former Lexus service manager) who replaced it told me at the time that the only belts he had seen break were cause by problems other than the belt wearing out. I had the belt replaced a 2nd time at 180,000 miles just prior to selling the car. If you smell coolant, check the water pump for leaking!