Valve Cover Gasket

camlex

Hello,

I have 1997 ES 300. I think that my car's rear valve cover gasket is leaking. yesterday when i replaced PCV. I saw oil on right hand side CV boot. Mechenic asking $500 for replace both valve cover gasket. I can do it. but i need some step by step picture to understand.

If you have some guideline pictures, please post or give me the link.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have 1997 ES 300. I think that my car's rear valve cover gasket is leaking. yesterday when i replaced PCV. I saw oil on right hand side CV boot. Mechenic asking  $500 for replace both valve cover gasket. I can do it. but i need some step by step picture to understand.

Thanks in advance.

its pretty simple:

-disconnect the battery

-label all vaccum hoses

-drain oil from engine

-remove intake manifold, and leave suspended from hood with zip ties.

-remove spark plugs and wires

-remove valve covers

-scrape old gasket off

-put new one one (with a coat of motor oil on both sides to help get a proper seal -until it heats up)

-replace valve cover

-replace spark plugs and wires with new ones

-replace intake manifold

-re connect all vaccuum hoses int he correct places

-reconnect battery

-top off oil

-fire it up!

i dont nwo of a tutorial with pics, btu when i do mine, i may take some.

Thank you,

I read on forum for 97 1MZFE

"Common problems with these cars is the idle control valve at the intake . It gets filled with carbon over time and makes it hard to restart your car when it is already hot. To remedy this clean the intake and iacv with throttle body cleaner. After the car will run amazing ,if not repeat until it is fixed.

It also has large deposits of carbon in the egr and bank 1 sensor 1 the rear o2 sensor on the engine.SO clean all of them as much as possible to remove the cel and hard starting hot."

My car have 130000 miles yesterday i replaced PCV valve. it was original and very dirty.

I think i have to check all items which is in above paragraph. if you don't mind please show me the location.

Again, Thanks,

Thank you,

I read on forum for 97 1MZFE

"Common problems with these cars is the idle control valve at the intake . It gets filled with carbon over time and makes it hard to restart your car when it is already hot. To remedy this clean the intake and iacv with throttle body cleaner. After the car will run amazing ,if not repeat until it is fixed.

It also has large deposits of carbon in the egr and bank 1 sensor 1 the rear o2 sensor on the engine.SO clean all of them as much as possible to remove the cel and hard starting hot."

My car have 130000 miles yesterday i replaced PCV valve. it was original and very dirty.

I think i have to check all items which is in above paragraph. if you don't mind please show me the location.

Again, Thanks,

that PCV Valve is the reason (most likely) behind your valve cover leak.

when that valve clogs the excess pressure inside the crankcase has nowhere to go, so it builds up inside the engien until it blows a gasket, typically ont hese cars, the valve covers are the first to go because thawt where most fo the pressure builds (hence the reason the valve is in the top of the cover.

should i try to tight the bolts on valve cover and see if leakage stop?

no, they are most likely still torqued to proper specs. i did this on my front one and it made it worse.

to tighten the rear one, you have to remove the intake so you can get to the bolts anyway, might as well remove the gasket and replace it. are you in ft. worth/dallas?

Houston

might want to consider the 4 hr drive to JP Imports for the valve covers, he will probably do them for around $300 or so, not sure.

tank of gas there and a tank of gas back, you just saved yourself ~$200.

Jason is located in Garland (just north of Dallas)

here is his website:

www.jpimportz.org

Address:

3521 Security St. Suite 101,

Garland, Texas 75042

Hours: M-F 8am - 6pm, Sat. 9am - 3pm

Store Line: 214.221.3135

Direct Email: jpimportz@yahoo.com

I did called him he started with ~$300 and then after adding spark plug and labor ~$450. so sparke plug cost $ 60. Labor $90. He is right there. why he charging labor again.

Thanks for your help.

If you wants please talk to him.

I did called him he started with ~$300 and then after adding spark plug and labor ~$450. so sparke plug cost $ 60. Labor $90. He is right there. why he charging labor again.

Thanks for your help.

If you wants please talk to him.

thats a good question. i think his shop rate is $70 an hour. so the most he could charge you additionally is $70. that is strange. i will talk to him. are you in any hurry? or can this wait for a bit, im going out there to get mine fixed in a week or so probably. if it cant wait i can call him.

oh wait, did he say labor? that might be the price of the wires! $90 is about right for lexus plug wires.

PM me and tell me dd you ask him the same thing you just asked me: "why are you charging me labor if you are rigth there?" sometimes people forget things or they just dont click, it happens.

if you PM me and tell me how you responded over the phone, i can help you further.

Good news.

Friend of my inspected my car, he told me that valve cover gasket is fine.

he opened one spark plug infront of me and looks good.

Bad news is that seal on housing (power steering pump) is leaking.

but specific he mention that hoses are fine.

So, Who having best price. I like to use TOYOTa or LAXUS parts ony.

Thanks,

• 5 months later...

DO you need a new gasket for the intake manifold? Lexus dealer told us we had a leaking valve cover gasket and quoted around $500. Was thinking this might be an easy job but it's sounding more difficult.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I have 1997 ES 300. I think that my car's rear valve cover gasket is leaking. yesterday when i replaced PCV. I saw oil on right hand side CV boot. Mechenic asking  $500 for replace both valve cover gasket. I can do it. but i need some step by step picture to understand.

Thanks in advance.

Try the capscrews that hold down the rear valve cover. They do come loose on some cars. Happened to me. Mine were loose enough to turn with my fingers. After I tightened them, I had the engine washed and shampooed. No more problems.