Interior Lights / Remote Locking

KY350

Several times over the last few weeks, I have noticed an intermittent problem with the interior courtesy light. Occasionally, when I open the drivers door, the courtesy light will not illuminate. Each time this occurs, I close the door and reopen it to see if the light will come on and only once did the light turn on.

I assume that the light sensor is located on the door frame and I will check this tomorrow morning to see if it is sticking closed. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem to this and if so, what was required to correct the situation? I am a little confused as to why the light does not turn on occasionally.

Also, I have recently noticed that occasionally, the remote locking / unlocking function on the key will not operate. When it does work (95% of the time), I need to have the key no more that 1.5m (5 feet) from the car for it to work. Is this the normal working range for the remote? My newer Nissan remote fob works from 20m away from the car.

I am assuming that I may need a new battery for the key? Is this correct and do I unscrew the little screw in the fob to access the battery? Where can I get a suitable battery from - Lexus???

It has been a long time since I replaced the drivers side light switch on the door jam on the 90 LS I used to have but I remember that it was quite easy to do and required popping off the sill trim and the trim covering the seat belt retractor to get access to the screws holding the switch in place.

I remember that the old switch under the rubber cover sometimes got sort of "kinked" which prevented the switch from opening and closing. I could temporarily straighten out the switch but it would soon get kinked again.

My 2000 LS does not seem to have these switches - perhaps the light switch function on later models is part of the latch mechanism in the door.

Your drivers side courtesy switch needs cleaning. No need to replace the switch, cleaning it will add years to it's life. Send me your email addy to obergc@cox.net and I will send you a tutorial on how to clean the switches. You also don't need to tear the interior apart to clean the switches, it's an easy job to do from the outside.

VBdenny - unfortunately we don't have a Radio Shack in Aust, but I will do to an equivalent electronics store to find a replacement battery. Infact, I'll get 2 batteries as the spare remote key is dead.

1990LS400 - I tested the switch this morning and of course it worked perfectly each time. The switch does not feel kinked under the rubber trim though.

oberqc - thanks for the offer of the tutorial. I will PM you my email address right away.

Thank you all for your responses.