Sc430 - Need New Tires

SeanTX

Now, I know we've been around on the whole 'run flat vs. regular tires' situation with the 430, and I haven't posted in a while, but I was wondering if anyone out there had some tire advice for me.

I need to replace my tires - they're pretty much done - and really don't know much about the different options (brand, rating, etc). I think I'm going to need to stick with the run flats b/c I'm going to be driving my car up to NYC (I'm moving sometime over the next few months) and don't know that simply having AAA will help me much if I get a flat, not to mention not wanting to bust up my rims and/or air pressure sensors.

So any advice? I still do go back and forth about run flat vs. regular, and I know it would be a much nicer ride, but I worry about the trip up north as well as just normal NY driving. The other big question is whether I even take my 430 up there or sell it down here since it may not really be quite the NYC car, but for now I think I'm going to keep it.

Thanks everyone!

Sean

Now, I know we've been around on the whole 'run flat vs. regular tires' situation with the 430, and I haven't posted in a while, but I was wondering if anyone out there had some tire advice for me.

I need to replace my tires - they're pretty much done - and really don't know much about the different options (brand, rating, etc).  I think I'm going to need to stick with the run flats b/c I'm going to be driving my car up to NYC (I'm moving sometime over the next few months) and don't know that simply having AAA will help me much if I get a flat, not to mention not wanting to bust up my rims and/or air pressure sensors. 

So any advice?  I still do go back and forth about run flat vs. regular, and I know it would be a much nicer ride, but I worry about the trip up north as well as just normal NY driving.  The other big question is whether I even take my 430 up there or sell it down here since it may not really be quite the NYC car, but for now I think I'm going to keep it.

Thanks everyone!

Sean

Sean: Just bought my wife a 2005 SC for Christmas, so I do NOT know what I am talking about... BUT, I saw this on a Lexus UK user forum this morning.

----------

SC fans:

My Run-Flats are now history and the difference in the ride is incredible!! Got Michelin Pilot Sports A/S ..bought five to have a spare in storage. Its a whole new driving experience, folks.

I intend to drive without the spare and take the consequences which in savings over the run-flat replacement tire costs, even if it ever means an overnight hotel stay somewhere and a flat bed truck tow is going to be a HUGE savings..

-----------------------

Hope this helps! Let us know what you find out. I intend to replace my wife's tires as soon as I can find something.

-Randall Garrett-

San Antonio, TX

2005 SC 430; 2005 LS 430 UL; 2005 Acura RL; Multiple H2's (office)

I need to replace my tires - they're pretty much done - and really don't know much about the different options (brand, rating, etc).  I think I'm going to need to stick with the run flats b/c I'm going to be driving my car up to NYC (I'm moving sometime over the next few months) and don't know that simply having AAA will help me much if I get a flat, not to mention not wanting to bust up my rims and/or air pressure sensors. 

So any advice?  I still do go back and forth about run flat vs. regular, and I know it would be a much nicer ride, but I worry about the trip up north as well as just normal NY driving.  The other big question is whether I even take my 430 up there or sell it down here since it may not really be quite the NYC car, but for now I think I'm going to keep it.

Thanks everyone!

Sean

Thanks everyone!

Sean

My advice is to run away, fast, from the "run flats." My experieince of the overall ride of the sc430, of which I have a 2004 model with 3,000 miles, is that it is a substandard ride. I understand, though not confimed, that the 05 models have improved suspension. However, I attribute the rough ride primarily to the tires.

Bt

I need to replace my tires - they're pretty much done - and really don't know much about the different options (brand, rating, etc). I think I'm going to need to stick with the run flats b/c I'm going to be driving my car up to NYC (I'm moving sometime over the next few months) and don't know that simply having AAA will help me much if I get a flat, not to mention not wanting to bust up my rims and/or air pressure sensors.

So any advice? I still do go back and forth about run flat vs. regular, and I know it would be a much nicer ride, but I worry about the trip up north as well as just normal NY driving. The other big question is whether I even take my 430 up there or sell it down here since it may not really be quite the NYC car, but for now I think I'm going to keep it.

Thanks everyone!

Sean

Go with the Michelin Pilots..Better ride, less damage to the wheels in the long run, and over the long term are 75% less expensive

Run flats - $2k for 12k-18k miles

Pilots - $1k for 20k-30k miles

Just my $.02

1992 SC400

1995 SC400

2002 SC430

2000 RX300

2001 LS430

I swiched out the run-flats after 20k to Michelins, last winter I had Pirrellis installed on 17" rims and never got round to taking them off it is a nicer ride over the Michelins but I would imagine the handling at high speeds my not be as good.

Paul

I just dropped off my car at the dealer here in NYC. Two days ago I went to pick it up at the garage, and one of the parking attendants showed me where the front left tire was coming apart from the rim. I've never seen anything like it. Luckily there is a Lexus dealer about 3 blocks from my apartment in NY.

Anyway, I just brought the car to the dealer, it has less than 17K miles on it, and he said that the run flats need to be replaced every 15K miles. In NYC, with the number of potholes and everything else it's a good idea to have the run flats. We had a blowout on the freeway with an M3 about 3 years ago and it was a nightmare.

I'm kind of *BLEEP*ed that he told me the tire was coming about from the seam due to "wear and tear". I said, what kind of wear and tear makes the seam come undone? And he said, "well if you were driving it on a flat that would make it do that"...to which I responded, "if I were driving it on a flat, wouldn't the indicator light come on?"... Well, now I'm just trying to figure out if I should pay for run-flats again or go with the other tire recommendations that you received..

Will Lexus replace tires that I buy from another place (other than the dealership?). I've also found that since I purchased the car at a dealership in California, the dealerships here in NYC are not very friendly... Shame on them, because I'll be looking for another car in early 2005...

I basically went through the same thing.. wear and tear, so after politely informing him that I would tear off his head and make him wear it he offered to replace all the tires for free, as long as I purchased the spare and the kit to put it in the trunk (about 700 cnd) this I did, and the ride was worth it.

Personally in this day and age I have never found a manufacturer to offer such wonderful service as Lexus, their quality and build is second to none.

ps I don't work for them.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE050 runflat seems to get good reviews on TireRack, especially compared to the OE Bridgestone Potenza RE040 which gets slammed.

In 245/40WR18 the RE050 RunFlat is $273, so about $1.1k for all four corners.

So general consensus seems to be to opt for the regular tires for performance, except for the NYC comment about hitting a pothole....

So the one thing that was not addressed, and a concern I have, is the risk I run messing up my rims if I use the regular tires. I have custom rims, so it would kind of suck if I hit those holes.

Just thought I'd throw another loop into the mix :-)

_Sean

While you're tire shopping, have a look at my forum post on Fuzion tires. I bought mine a month ago for my SC430. They are fantastic, and $125 per tire at TireRack, compared to $225 for Michelin Pilot Sport 2. Additionally, they should wear longer, are very comfortable, have great handling characteristics in wet and dry conditions. They are an ultra-performance tire, and while they will not quite match the PS2 for handling, they definitely come close... I doubt many SC430 owners would be able to discern the difference. I like the Fuzion, too, because of its extra rubber protection on the sidewall, designed to save rims from curb damage. Fuzion is manufactured by Bridgestone.

In addition to ride quality, another advantage of swtiching FROM run-flats is that run-flat tires cannot be repaired, as a standard tire can. Your only option is to replace it, and you'll likely have to do that in pairs.

The best solution to the spare tire issue, in my mind, is still Lexus Care (free towing), AAA, and a road hazard protection package when you buy your tires.

Steve

San Diego, 2002 Silver SC430

Got 27,000 miles from original run-flats

• 2 weeks later...

I should add, I have about 1,300 miles on my SC430 2005 model with run flats. I was expecting a lot worse and I was very worried before getting my car. To be honest, the ride is pretty good, as compared to what people are saying. It is a little rough on pot holes, nothing like the ES 2004. But it is a sporty car.

I also heard the older 430's tires would blow up as soon as they hit a pot hole. I know someone with a 430 from 03 and he had to replace those tires a bunch of times, whenever it hit a pot hole or rough edge.

Where I am from, lots of pot holes due to snow all the time (I know, why do I have a car like this when it snows so much). I hit many pot holes and the tires are just fine. I had to fill them up with about 10 seconds of air the day after it hit 5 degrees, the air pressure light went on. They looked fine, but the light said put air in it (I am told cold air does that to tires).

Anyway, the run flats are not that bad. I was strongly considering replacing them. But with a 3.5 year lease, I don't see a reason to yet.

Can't wait for it to warm up so I can drive around with the top down :geek: . I love this car.

• 5 months later...
I should add, I have about 1,300 miles on my SC430 2005 model with run flats.  I was expecting a lot worse and I was very worried before getting my car.  To be honest, the ride is pretty good, as compared to what people are saying.  It is a little rough on pot holes, nothing like the ES 2004.  But it is a sporty car.

I also heard the older 430's tires would blow up as soon as they hit a pot hole.  I know someone with a 430 from 03 and he had to replace those tires a bunch of times, whenever it hit a pot hole or rough edge.

Where I am from, lots of pot holes due to snow all the time (I know, why do I have a car like this when it snows so much).  I hit many pot holes and the tires are just fine.  I had to fill them up with about 10 seconds of air the day after it hit 5 degrees, the air pressure light went on.  They looked fine, but the light said put air in it (I am told cold air does that to tires).

Anyway, the run flats are not that bad.  I was strongly considering replacing them.  But with a 3.5 year lease, I don't see a reason to yet.

Can't wait for it to warm up so I can drive around with the top down :geek: .  I love this car.

Hi I am new to this forum. I have been reading the posts for over 2 years when I first considered purchasing a 2003 SC 430 for my wife. I first thought the car was impractable. I drive a Nissan 350 Z which I considered a real sports car. Well, after several years I really do enjoy the SC 430 's confort and styling. However the tires really SUCK. After 15K miles the tread on all four tires wore out on the inside tread to the core. I brought the car to the dealer several times because it was "hunting the cracks" of every line in the road. So when the dealer finally told me to get rid of the "Rin-crap tires" I quickly did.

I bought real tires Michelleins (not run flats) and filled them with Ride-On tire protection sealant to give air pressure and flat protection. http://www.ride-on.com/. Ride on costs $30 and claims to seals a 1/4 inch hole.

The car has a new lease on life and it drives like a dream. Quite,Smooth and Straight. RIP to the OEM tires. :cheers: