94 Es300 Engine Sludge

Gerry720

Has anyone else had any success with Lexus regarding engine failure due to oil sludge (or gelling as they call it) outside their stated policy (only back to 1997)? My '94 ES300 has about 125000 miles and the oil pressure light started to flicker. I brought it to the dealership who said they would NOT fix it without tearing down the engine (minimum $900 to check it out and $4-5,000 to repair). I asked them to check and repair the oil problem, but they refused and would only send it to a local repair shop around the corner who dropped the oil pan and said the screen was 98% clogged! He cleaned it out and fixed the oil light problem. Two days later it blew a rod....

We change the oil every 3000 (not the 7500 suggested). I have called Lexus Customer Service, but I doubt anything will happen since they set 1997 as the cut off for the sludge problem. Any other experiences or successes?

Thanks

I'm sorry about your current situation. Out of curiosity did you always have your car serviced by that Lexus dealership you took it to or for that matter always at Lexus? I ask because if you always had it serviced by Lexus and followed their maintenance schedule, you probably could argue that you took care of your engine and perhaps they may pay for some of the repair. It may be a long shot though because like you stated, the engine replacing campaign only goes as far back as 1997. Did the person who cleaned your engine tell you what caused the sludging?

To SKPerformance:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I bought the car new and I drove it for the first 5 years, changing the oil every 5000 miles (the manual said every 7500 miles). I then gave it to my wife in 1999, and she has been driving it exclusively for the last 5 years, changing the oil every 3000 miles, because a friend of hers told her it was better for the car...so this is not driver neglect.

To vcv10guy: Thanks for the comments. The guy who cleaned the screen said he had seen it many times in the past with the ES300. In fact, I told him I had been advised by a mechanic that when the light flickered on and off, the oil pump was probably going, and he replied that he could "guarantee" it wasn't the oil pump, and he was right.

I don't really expect to get any assistance from Lexus, even though they have admitted this was a problem with this engine, but would only go back to 1997 for repairs (5 years from the 2002 statements). From what I have researched, the same engine was in the ES300 from 1994 through 1998. I figure they won't go back any further than they felt was appropriate.

My only real beef with Lexus is that when I called Customer Service today, they told me they recommended changing the oil every 5,000 miles. However, my owner's manual clearly says 7,500 miles (maintenance schedule "B") and nobody from Lexus ever contacted me to tell me otherwise, even though they contacted me on many occasions about other issues. I think it's a bit late telling me what they "recommend" after the engine dies.

I appreciate the comment, thanks.

actually the 94-96 is not the same as the 97 and up

in 97 it gained vvt which also had higer emmision related changes which included the engine running at a higher internal temp which the revisions the engine oil does not get cuiculated and thus gets gummy (sludge)

You may be lucky if you have allways had a diligent maintance schedule that the oil is just contaminated,get an oil flush and it may just clear up after 2 back to back flushes to remove the gum as it may not be sludge but water or something simple which also causes the oil to sludge itself.

Remember the problem is only really bad when it is left causgni high friction wear otherwise it can be cleaned and be ready to go again.

good luck

actually the 94-96 is not the same as the 97 and up

in 97 it gained vvt which also had higer emmision related changes which included the engine running at a higher internal temp which the revisions the engine oil does not get cuiculated and thus gets gummy (sludge)

You may be lucky if you have allways had a diligent maintance schedule that the oil is just contaminated,get an oil flush and it may just clear up after 2 back to back flushes to remove the gum as it may not be sludge but water or something simple which also causes the oil to sludge itself.

Remember the problem is only really bad when it is left causgni high friction wear otherwise it can be cleaned and be ready to go again.

good luck

sk, did you miss this??:

Two days later it blew a rod....

not trying to be a smartass, really, i was just asking...

the rod bearing can be repaired if you have mechanical knowledge, but its probably better in this instance to have the engine rebuilt, since you dont know what kind of damage happened to the other rod bearings, but $4,000 is rediculous, there are shops in my area that will (WITH a 3 year/30K warranty) do one for $2,000.

To SKPerformance:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I bought the car new and I drove it for the first 5 years, changing the oil every 5000 miles (the manual said every 7500 miles). I then gave it to my wife in 1999, and she has been driving it exclusively for the last 5 years, changing the oil every 3000 miles, because a friend of hers told her it was better for the car...so this is not driver neglect.

Monarch, perhaps you missed this. :whistles:

Gerry I would get a secone (& a third if needed) from either an independent mechanic or a Toyota dealer which could be much cheaper (I'm not suggesting that the rod is not the cause) to do the repair. Ask some friends & family where they take their car for repair. It is most unfortunate considering you have owned the car since new & maintained it to the letter. :huh: :( Keep us posted on the situation. B)

:cheers:

Actually VVT-i (variable valve timing w/ intelligence) wasn't added to the ES300 until 1999. The '97-'98 models years didn't have that yet, but it did have a substantial HP and torque boost over the '94-'96 years (Unless the Canadian models were giving VVT before the US models). SK is right about the engine running at higher internal temperatures though causing the sludge. I have read that the cylinder temperature is the culprit (Toyota had the cylinder head run at a higher temperature so it can better burn fuel to redure emissions and increase power), but of course that caused the oil to breakdown quicker and sludge. I do what Lexusfreak recommended, and get another opinion on the engine. Hopefully things get settled for you quickly Gerry.

For whatever it's worth I just had several quotes (in western MA) for engine replacement in a '99 ES 300:

Toyota dealer: used engine $3,200 + labor $1710; new engine $5,119 + labor $2,375

Independent mechanic: used engine $2,500 + labor $900; new engine $5700 + labor $900.

Moral of the story: get an independent to look at it. Could save 50% + on labor....

For whatever it's worth I just had several quotes (in western MA) for engine replacement in a '99 ES 300:

Toyota dealer: used engine $3,200 + labor $1710; new engine $5,119 + labor $2,375

Independent mechanic: used engine $2,500 + labor $900; new engine $5700 + labor $900.

Moral of the story: get an independent to look at it. Could save 50% + on labor....

dude, $6,000 for a *BLEEP*ing engine replacement, thats ludacris, if you were near here, i would do it for a quarter that, and i would warranty my work.

AND...

your car is worth what...$4,000??

and SK,its no big deal :D you have corrected me (very politely for the most part) on alot of my mistakes, i thought i woul simply return the favor :)

no worries army

if i was always right i would still be driving a domestic

BUT

VCV you might need to reread what i said

in 97 VVT was introduced

not vvt-i which was 99 their is a difference

thanks for the correction and glad you learned something

Okay SK, I reread what you said and I did some side research, and I can't find anything that says the 1997 ES300 has "VVT". The only thing said was that the engine was tweaked to produce more power. The only hype on it was that in '99 it was introduced with VVT-i. I'm not trying to argue with you, believe me, last thing I want to do right now is argue with the management :whistles: . Is there a thread or website you know that talks about the engine itself, or for that matter tells me the car for '97 has VVT, and they upgraded to VVT-i for '99. As far as I know, Toyota only placed hype on having VVT-i. Like you said, I'll learn something.

Anyway, any updates on your situation Gerry?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1996 ES300. The oil light flickered for a month. I took it to Goodyear and got it checked. They changed the oil and it went out for a while. It started again and finally the check engine light came on and the car stopped. The dealer said I need a new engine. I changed the oil regularly at 7,500 like the book said. Now they say $6,500 for a rebuit engine. Three of the six cylinders are shot.

Is this from sludge and can I get something from the dealer? Is it worth getting it fixed or should I scrap it? Can i get it done for under 3,000 outside of the dealer ?

I'd appreciate your suggestions..

I have a 1996 ES300. The oil light flickered for a month. I took it to Goodyear and got it checked. They changed the oil and it went out for a while. It started again and finally the check engine light came on and the car stopped. The dealer said I need a new engine. I changed the oil regularly at 7,500 like the book said. Now they say $6,500 for a rebuit engine. Three of the six cylinders are shot.

Is this from sludge and can I get something from the dealer? Is it worth getting it fixed or should I scrap it? Can i get it done for under 3,000 outside of the dealer ?

I'd appreciate your suggestions..

consult your Toyota/Lexus dealership. Be prepared to show some kind of documentation for oil changes. "some Kind of" may vary from dealership to dealership.

Toyota has a engine replacement guarentee for the 1mz-fe engine for specific years do to sludging. It is 10 years from first registration and unlimited mileage. You may or may not be included.

Start by calling 1-800-25-LEXUS and find out more details.

Talk to the dealership you usually do business with.

steviej