Someone Scratched My New Rx330

termite

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I recently bought a new RX330

and while parked on a street in San Francisco it appears that someone

(while trying to park behind me) scraped the left side of my rear bumper leaving

a scrape mark about 10 inches long. I didn't see this at night when I drove back

and only saw it this morning.

I'm really angry about this. My color is Bamboo Pearl. Do you guys have any

suggestions as to how I can go about getting this fixed ? What is the likely

cost ?

Thanks much

AE

Tom,

How do you define a scoff ? (Pardon my ignorance) Mine is like someone

dragged a pointed tool across the bumper applying some pressure.

The cut is deep enough to expose the darker body underneath the paint.

I don't seem to have any dents though.

I just found this on the web:

http://www.lxparts.com/Products/part_detail_918_26827.html

Not sure if this helps .. anyone used such kits ?

AE

Tom,

AE

try rubbing it off with rubbing compound, or with wax. then we'll determine it from there... ;)

Can you feel the scratch when you rub your hand over it? If you can then there is no way to repair it except with paint. If its that long I also wouldn't do this yourself, find some places in your area that have good references (do check them yourself) that specialize in bumper repair. It can probably be fixed to 90% by a skilled person with touchup paint and wetsanding but you'll always notice it even if others don't.

If it were my car I would turn it into my uninsured motorist coverage (as a hit and run so it wont affect your premiums) and get the whole bumper repainted.

Tom,

AE

Clean area around scratch first and use a toothpick (not the soft brush) to get some paint from the touch-paint bottle and apply carefully. 3M rubbing compound is also good after you are satisfied with repainting the scratch.

Bumper repair is $50 at least, body shop is even more expensive.

Can you feel the scratch when you rub your hand over it? If you can then there is no way to repair it except with paint. If its that long I also wouldn't do this yourself, find some places in your area that have good references (do check them yourself) that specialize in bumper repair. It can probably be fixed to 90% by a skilled person with touchup paint and wetsanding but you'll always notice it even if others don't.

If it were my car I would turn it into my uninsured motorist coverage (as a hit and run so it wont affect your premiums) and get the whole bumper repainted.

How does the uninsured motorist coverage work ? Am I eligible even if I was not

there at the time of the incident (which is what happened in my case).

Tuned- But I think $50 at least is worthwhile spending on a brand new $45,000 vehicle.

termite- You'd have to ask your insurance coverage. For mine whenever your vehicle is hit and run, meaning even in a parking lot when you're not there they'll insure it under uninsured motorist coverage. They'll have an adjuster come out and look at it and he'll make all kinds of measurements to be sure that the vehicle was stationary when it was hit, then he'll give you an amount and you can shop from there.

Repainting the bumper can cost from $300-$1000. By federal law the insurance company cannot tell you where to go so ask around and pick a shop that does good work.

Tuned- But I think $50 at least is worthwhile spending on a brand new $45,000 vehicle.

termite- You'd have to ask your insurance coverage. For mine whenever your vehicle is hit and run, meaning even in a parking lot when you're not there they'll insure it under uninsured motorist coverage. They'll have an adjuster come out and look at it and he'll make all kinds of measurements to be sure that the vehicle was stationary when it was hit, then he'll give you an amount and you can shop from there.

Repainting the bumper can cost from $300-$1000. By federal law the insurance company cannot tell you where to go so ask around and pick a shop that does good work.

I understand, just let him know some tips if he decides to buy the touchup paint he posted. Insurance rate increases in direct proportion to number of claims. It is a cost vs quality of fix tradeoff. :D DIY will also help both RX and the wallet as paint chips and scratches become likely events in the future.

That is definitely a scratch, not a scuff. The scuff can generally be buffed out as it only minimally scrapes the clearcoat. This must be painted to be repaired properly.

I agree, get a good shop to repaint the entire bumper. I would not be satisfied with a minor repair job of the scratch only.

When I had my bumper cover repainted I had the dealer remove the bumper and the body shop painted the bumper while it was off of the vehicle. This way you do not get tape lines where they mask off the rest of the car. You also don't have the danger of getting your car oversprayed from a poor mask job.

Tom

I had same case here. Someone scratch my rear bumper while he/she parked.

The bad thing is I don't know when/where it happened. One day when i wash my car I found and was so mad and upset.

:chairshot: -----------------> :cries:

But, I am also upset about the paint quality on the rear bumper and the location of the light reflector, that's the where most sedans' bumper and hits.

I think the paint (base and clear) on the rear bumper is not enough. I hope they can put double clear coats on the bumpers.

And, really sorry to hear that. Please let me know how much it cost it and how.

I had same case here. Someone scratch my rear bumper while he/she parked.

The bad thing is I don't know when/where it happened. One day when i wash my car I found and was so mad and upset.

:chairshot:  -----------------> :cries:

But, I am also upset about the paint quality on the rear bumper and the location of the light reflector, that's the where most sedans' bumper and hits.

I think the paint (base and clear) on the rear bumper is not enough. I hope they can put double clear coats on the bumpers.

And, really sorry to hear that. Please let me know how much it cost it and how.

You can use 3M Clear Bra to increase protection of front bumper and hood. Good thing is it will protect multiple minor scratches and dings for about $205 (installation extra). A perfect repair will last only until the next unfortunate event.

RX330 3M Clear Bra On Ebay

How does the uninsured motorist coverage work ? Am I eligible even if I was not

there at the time of the incident (which is what happened in my case).

most companies if not all insurance companies do not cover "phantom" drivers. so no the uninsured motorist coverage does not apply.

you could file a claim but it would count as a collision claim and most likely your insurance rates would go up.

hope that answers your question. ;)

My insurance agent disagrees, I've filed several hit and run claims and they've all been covered as no fault and my premiums have never increased.

When you file a collision claim your premium comes up because you were at fault and are now a higher risk. You're not at fault when someone hits your vehicle and then unlawfully leaves without notice. Now if you file 12 hit and run claims they may take notice, but one bumper? Call your insurance agent...

My insurance agent disagrees, I've filed several hit and run claims and they've all been covered as no fault and my premiums have never increased.

When you file a collision claim your premium comes up because you were at fault and are now a higher risk. You're not at fault when someone hits your vehicle and then unlawfully leaves without notice. Now if you file 12 hit and run claims they may take notice, but one bumper? Call your insurance agent...

oh, that answers my question about hit and run that's been running thru my mind.. :D

I've been doing some research and it does actually appear that covering hit and runs under uninsured motorist coverage may be unusual. My company does it though, and it was their idea not mine.

I've been doing some research and it does actually appear that covering hit and runs under uninsured motorist coverage may be unusual. My company does it though, and it was their idea not mine.

that sounds better...i'm actually an insurance agent, and have been for several years, and you had me thinkin i was loseing my mind :wacko:

also keep in mind that california is a whole different "animal" than most states...we make EVERYTHING more difficult then it needs to be.

:cheers:

Thanks to everyone for valuable input here !

This morning I stopped at my dealership and showed this to my sales rep.

He asked one of their guys to do a touch up to cover up the slight black pastic

exposure. Since the scratch is at the lowest part of the bumper below the

left tail light it's not very obvious on the first look. After the touch up I can only

see it if I go and look and feel under (no black plastic exposed any more)

He also called their shop and got a quote of $350-400 to repaint the entire

bumper if that's required. We both thought it's probably a good idea to save the

money and wait to do a full paint job on a more serious scratch that might occur

in the future. (hopefully I'll never have such a need).

I'm happy with the current results for now and am also impressed with the

Lexus customer service particularly with my sales agent. He took me in

and spent a good amount of time with me and my car.

AE