Got A Used 2004 Rx330 - Questions!

Messerchmidt

hi all,

well i ended up getting a 2004 RX330 with 24,000km for $37,000 canadian via my buddy from an Auction. It was a company car, but figuring that the same model new from Lexus with the lux pacakge, block heater, and sunroof (which mine has) would have been $59,000, I think it was a good deal, its basically new!

No accidents,etc - we basically took the car apart and used a mag glass to check for this stuff - if it had accidents (unreported) my buddy would have resold it to some schmitz. I also check the millage, it appears to have not been turned back, thats another reason I kept it.

1) I went to buy a case of Mobil1 "truck and Suv" (5w40) and a fram filter for it. No problems using this oil or this filter in this car right?

I have no idea whats in there now, but the oil is not black, however I am worried that someone dumped like XR4 (recyl. oil) in there before they tossed it on the auction block, so I am going to change it. If Mobil1 truck and Suv are no good, what should I use?

2) I posted before about using Amsoil Synth ATF in the tranny, it meets the Toyota specs. MY fluid is fine, but I am going to change the filter and fluid in it anyways. Apparently in hard working trannys that get abused (I know how I drive sometimes), this stuff is good. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with Amsoil in it?

ASLO is there a flash/upgrade that lexus can do to my car if it has gearing problems?

3) coolent - Use the Toyota stuff? or? How about tossing in some Royal purple purple Ice in there to keep the engine cool? Good or Bad idea? Im gona flush the system and put in new coolent.

4) Brake fluid - Use the Toyota stuff or?

5) Anything else I should know/do with this car before I start driving it daily and hard?

6) lexus warrenty - As the second owner, I still have warrenty coverage as long as the previous owners did the maintinance there which I think they did, right?

first...i'm pretty sure it uses 5W30.

Try to get toyota's oil filter and everybody here suggets getting toyota ATF as many ppl have problem with their transmission when using other brands.

since you saved money on the purchase, why not spend some money getting toyota parts?

Speaking as someone who's been through transmission failure and replacement under warranty with my wife's RX, I'll never use anything other than Toyota Type T-IV fluid in our transmission case. And even though our owners manual indicates that the factory fluid is good for the life of the vehicle, I'll change the fluid myself every 30,000 miles for as long as we own it. This transmission is the weakest link I've experienced in a drivetrain in more than 35 years of driving.

You're probably safe to experiment with your motor oils and filters, but I would not vary with your transmission fluid. The potential pitfalls down the road make the risks completely unacceptable.

I'd stick with the proper oil grade Lexus calls for your RX.......& stay away from Fram filters.....they are crap! Either stick with Lexus (or Toyota), Mobil 1 oil filters , which us Canadians are only able to get in the States.....or a K & N oil filters available at Canadian Tire (I usually wait till they are on sale in their flyer & buy several). Did you get service (oil changes history on the RX mess? :unsure:

I think your RX has the pink 'super long life coolant' which is good for 5 years & over 200,000 kms? so I wouldn't add the royal purple stuff as the factory coolant is heavy duty stuff as it is. ;) I'd also consider purchasing a 'Lexus' extended warranty.....if something goes worng after the warranty expires, it's worth it's weight in gold! Good Luck! & welcome to the club. B)

:cheers:

Ok thank you, I am going with the Mobil1 truck and Suv 5w40.

My transmission seems to be fine for the moment, from what I have heard the transmission problems you guys talk about here seem to be far and few between.

I may still try changing the fluid to Amsoil, but from what I have read here. If it aint broken, don't fix it. Hopefully I will not have similar problems; the fluid is fine in mine after 24,000km.

I like my RX330, The Mercedes I had was softer and handelled better, but this SUV is not too bad. As long as I do not have retarded problems like I had with my 320, and this one is a 4x4 for the Snow!

It is just too bad that Toyota/Lexus does not have a Turbo Diesel variant, one of those common-rail I6s with a variable geometry turbo; it would be good to go. One of those 350ft pound @ 1800 rpm torque monsters in an SUV with Toyota engineering, it would be great! :cheers:

You'll never be able to remove all of the Amsoil fluid from the complete transmission system. And your plan is highly unethical. If you make the decision to switch to Amsoil in your transmission after what you've read on sites like this one, that's fine, but you should also be willing to accept any consequences down the road.

If you stick with Toyota Type T-IV fluid, then any future transmission problems in your vehicle truly do belong to Lexus. I'm damn tough and unwavering when it comes to defending my rights, but I'm also fully committed to being fair and truthful with the manufacturer. Ethics should not be compromised.

Agreed, most car owners make dealing with dealerships and manufacturers more difficult than it has to be because they're playing their own games and being unethical.

I personally don't see what the big deal is, using the Toyota fluid INSURES that Lexus will stand behind your transmission AND its cheaper! Even if you should have a failure and the Amsoil wasn't the cause, you can bet money they'll say it was to avoid paying out for the repair.

You'll never be able to remove all of the Amsoil fluid from the complete transmission system.  And your plan is highly unethical.  If you make the decision to switch to Amsoil in your transmission after what you've read on sites like this one, that's fine, but you should also be willing to accept any consequences down the road.

If you stick with Toyota Type T-IV fluid, then any future transmission problems in your vehicle truly do belong to Lexus.  I'm damn tough and unwavering when it comes to defending my rights, but I'm also fully committed to being fair and truthful with the manufacturer.  Ethics should not be compromised.

I agree....why risk it (even though they say it's suited for transmissions that call for Toyota type IV fluid). Lexus has the right to deny a possible expensive transmission repair if it's the result of the 'wrong' fluid used. :huh:

:cheers: