94 Ls400 Strut Replacement

lexusonthelake

I recently had my 94 LS400 in for an oil change and tire rotation and asked for an estimate to replace all 4 struts in case I want to have them changed this winter. The estimate was $725. Does that sound high? What costs should I be expecting? I'll want to go with the factory struts.

Any feedback is appreciated!

I specifically asked the local Lexus dealer to check the struts and shocks. They were all fine, in fact they told me they are rarely replaced as they are so durable. I haven't noticed any ride comprimises and my car has over 140K.

I will add that I was VERY surprized that the dealer told me I didn't need something.

Have you considered doing the job yourself? I replaced my front two with OEM for about $140 (irontoad.com). You can rent a strut spring compression tool from your local auto parts store for free. Pretty straightforward job, actually. Rears are next. Car handles much better now with considerably less bounce, despite everyone telling me that I didn't need new ones. :cheers:

I helped a buddy install coilovers on his car. It was pretty easy...you need the right tools though...breaker bar or impact wrench, plus spring compressers (~$40). If you can't DIY then I would agree with the rest, the quote seems pretty good.

Lexls,

Do you have any plans to add replacing struts in your tutorial in the near future? Mine are showing some indication for replacement.

Probably not, my struts are fairly new. Also, it's pretty much winter here so I can't work on my car without freezing. I will put one up eventually. But for now, the only way I'll add a tutorial for this in the near future is if someone submits one to me.

I'm going to do one in about a month or so. I'll shoot the pics your way Carl.

I need some help, guys. I'm going to re-bush my upper control arms(90LX400) this week. I planned on downloading manuals from the toy/lex support page, but they are not Mac/apple compatible. I can read/write adobe files: Apparently it's the site itself that will not tolerate Macs.

Question #1 is: does anyone have the PDF's relating to upper a-arm R&R, Lower arm R&R, and Strut replacement?

Question #2 is: Has anyone R&R'ed the balljoints in Upper A-arm? I don't know if I need them yet, but it's likely I do.

If you can help, email attachments or links to: jadecuir@comcast.net

Thanks,

John

• 1 month later...
I'm going to do one in about a month or so. I'll shoot the pics your way Carl.

I need some help, guys. I'm going to re-bush my upper control arms(90LX400) this week. I planned on downloading manuals from the toy/lex support page, but they are not Mac/apple compatible. I can read/write adobe files: Apparently it's the site itself that will not tolerate Macs.

Question #1 is: does anyone have the PDF's relating to upper a-arm R&R, Lower arm R&R, and Strut replacement?

Question #2 is: Has anyone R&R'ed the balljoints in Upper A-arm? I don't know if I need them yet, but it's likely I do.

If you can help, email attachments or links to: jadecuir@comcast.net

Thanks,

John

If you did not get there already. Here they are:

lowerbal.pdf

frontsho.pdf

uppersus.pdf

strutbar.pdf

lowerarm.pdf

• 9 years later...

Have you considered doing the job yourself? I replaced my front two with OEM for about $140 (irontoad.com). You can rent a strut spring compression tool from your local auto parts store for free. Pretty straightforward job, actually. Rears are next. Car handles much better now with considerably less bounce, despite everyone telling me that I didn't need new ones. cheers.gif

I replaced all four struts myself. Replacing front struts were fairly easy but it took me whole day for the rear. It took me about two hours just to remove the rear seat, mainly because I didn't know where the bolt locations were. The rest was straight forward. You need to remove the rear wheels, brake caliper, stabilizer links; remove the lower end bolt (don't pull it out yet), then remove top three bolts. Aligning the rear lower end was more difficult than the front and I had to use a hammer while I didn't need one for the front.