Getting A New Engine - What Else?

coltonb

The engine in my '99 ES 300 w/125,000 miles is being replaced by Lexus at their cost as it sludged and died. While they are in there, what else should I have them do additionally on my nickel? I seriously plan to drive this car to well over 200,000 miles, and figure now's the time to maybe go a little nuts replacing anything that should be replaced. Might be a ton of labor cost savings?

I understand that as they are replacing the engine I basically get a new timing belt thrown in, but what else? Some thoughts are:

Motor mounts?

Water pump?

PCV Valve?

Idle air control valve?

Transmission??????

????

Anything that breaks / fails with any regularity and is located in the engine compartment is fair game..... If you could also prioritize what should be replaced it is very helpful.

i'd sell the whole car because if the former owner ngelected

it enough to cause engine sludge, then the transmisson and other

componets could soon fail too. And the "new" engine your

getting isn't really factory new. It's a rebuilt by an american

rebuilder using american car quality parts, gaskets and fit

tolerance standards.

i'd sell the whole car because if the former owner ngelected

it enough to cause engine sludge, then the transmisson and other

componets could soon fail too.  And the "new" engine your

getting isn't really factory new. It's a rebuilt by an american

rebuilder using american car quality parts, gaskets and fit

tolerance standards.

dude... :ph34r:

i dont think that the engine sludge could be avoided in most cases, thats why there was a TSB, and also why LEXUS (read manufacturer) is replacing the motor with a NEW one. they are the manufacturer. they can do that.

LEXUS, does not subcontract engine rebuilds. the do it with ALL lexus OEM parts.

hence the only thing not replaced are the block and the head castings, everything else is new inside.

Colton: i would go aheadand have them check the steering rack and pinion, all the suspension and the bushings. the front suspension and bushings are probably wearing out.

my rack and pinion becgan showing signs of wear around 125K.

i don't know why but i always seem to disagree with you army,sorry

To check for sludge their is going to be a tear down

you will never get a new engine as even crate engines are not new they are just rebuilds wether they come from japan or the USA.

Only new cars get new engines or unless it is reassembled peice by peice by a engine builder and all the parts ordered from toyota where you will get new parts .

Check the engine mounts they may not need changing that is all that is needed to look at that would save tiem or money now barely

The easiest thing is to always use synthetic oil and not skip oil changes.

second *army* ,stop making assumptions with no information to make you thought credable

How would you know who contracts out rebulds or not.

First the information has never been given to us by the owner who is looking after it,

it could be lexus paying the dealer to do a tear down and replace what is needed ,wether it is doen by them in house or down the street at uncle toms.

lexus providing the engine and paying the dealer to do the labour

come on now stop guessing

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...opic=15714&st=0

No speculation going on here, eh?

I have a '99 ES 300 that i bought CPO  in '01 from Lexus of Manhattan, which now has 112,000 mi. Religious regular oil changes, transmission oil purge, the whole 9 on regular maintainence (non-dealer serviced). Has run beautifully despite the beating i give it (long distances, hard accellerations, and NYC potholes aplenty.)

i don't know why but i always seem to disagree with you army,sorry

Perhaps subconsciously you may be concerned that Army (a Ford man) is gaining ground on you (a Lexus man) as as the most prolific poster of the Forum <grin>

This raises an interesting question - what kind of engine should i be asking them for / making sure they install? I don't think that the original design of engine should go in, given the whole sludging problems they appear to have, but then what? I'd figured they had a "redesigned" engine for replacing these and have new ones to go in... apperently not? I get the same engine all over again?

u are getting the same thing :chairshot: but there is nothing relay wrong with the design. the oil flowing over the head stays there a little longer and gets hotter. because of this the polymers can burn (polymers are the things used to make the oil multi viscosity) and those burnt polymers become sludge.

use syn and change your oil every 5k and u will be fine

The engine in my '99 ES 300 w/125,000 miles is being replaced by Lexus at their cost as it sludged and died. While they are in there, what else should I have them do additionally on my nickel? I seriously plan to drive this car to well over 200,000 miles, and figure now's the time to maybe go a little nuts replacing anything that should be replaced. Might be a ton of labor cost savings?

I understand that as they are replacing the engine I basically get a new timing belt thrown in, but what else? Some thoughts are:

Motor mounts?

Water pump?

PCV Valve?

Idle air control valve?

Transmission??????

????

Anything that breaks / fails with any regularity and is located in the engine compartment is fair game..... If you could also prioritize what should be replaced it is very helpful.

I would assume if they are going to replace the engine there will be new plugs, timing best & PCV valve......I'd do a complete tranny flush (100% as opposed to a drain & fill.....don't forget to use the correct fluid) Check with the dealer on the motor mounts while they have the engine out & I think the water pump will be new too! You should be set! B) Consider switching to synthetic oil after the 'break in' period & use a good quality filter & change it on time! I put average miles on mine a year & still do 4 oil changes per year because of the sludge issue. I recommend Mobil 1 synthetic. Good Luck! :)

:cheers:

lmao

that's a thought

but its not the volume but the quality of the posts

lol

i would certianly hope that lexus would know better than that. but whatever. what i meant to say was, the engine might be rebuilt, but its with all lexus parts EVEN if it is subcontracted out.

i do knwo that ford doesnt do it, my uncle worked for the company for almost 40 years, retired in 1998. so if ford rebuilds engines with ford parts, lexus will have engiens rebuilt with lexus parts.

They checked the car from stem to stern and the only things they could suggest were a transmission oil change, and new belts (suprisingly their engine replacement program puts all the old belts back in). I've asked for a IACV cleaning as well. All in, $250.

I'm sold on Lexus for life. Well done all. :D

if they are reusing belts are tehy reussing anything else?

I would get that confirmed in a list of all parts that are removed and reintalled

you might end up with your old engien minus the block and head

Agreed! Be careful with this......dosen't sound right. :blink:

I would get that confirmed in a list of all parts that are removed and reintalled

Here's the latest - I should add that i don't know wnought about engines to probably ask all the right questions but here goes: They are replacing everything except the head. New "short" block, pistons, valves, cam, bearings, seals, everything but the cast piece of metal at the top of the engine.

I am told this is OK as it would not be damaged by lack of oil or bearing failure.

What does everyone think?

Here's the latest - I should add that i don't know wnought about engines to probably ask all the right questions but here goes: They are replacing everything except the head. New "short" block, pistons, valves, cam, bearings, seals, everything but the cast piece of metal at the top of the engine.

I am told this is OK as it would not be damaged by lack of oil or bearing failure.

What does everyone think?

Does that include a new water pump & I assume a new timing belt? :unsure:

sounds good

that is perfect

so you are nto gettign a new engien but your old one rebulit with lots of new parts , good to know rather than guess ,defintaly a peice of mind

the head being reused is fine ,since it will be cleaned and have all guides and other friction area replaced

sounds like a very good replacment

sounds good

that is perfect

so you are nto gettign a new engien but your old one rebulit with lots of new parts , good to know rather than guess ,defintaly a peice of mind

the head being reused is fine ,since it will be cleaned and have all guides and other friction area replaced

sounds like a very good replacment

great. thank you.