How Do I Change The Trailer Light Plug

molocka12

While helping a friend move into a new house I notice the plug to the lights for a trailer only have the tail lights working. The stop light & the turn singles both right & left do not work. It looks to me that the plug has the little metal pins missing to make a connection for the lights that are not working. Is there a quick fix or do I have to replace the plug it self? How do I go about doing so it appears the plug wires goes into the rear wheel well passenger side?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tony

While helping a friend move into a new house I notice the plug to the lights for a trailer only have the tail lights working. The stop light & the turn singles both right & left do not work. It looks to me that the plug has the little metal pins missing to make a connection for the lights that are not working. Is there a quick fix or do I have to replace the plug it self? How do I go about doing so it appears the plug wires goes into the rear wheel well passenger side?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tony

You could get an aftermarket plug and then use an ice pick type tester to determine which wires are hooked to what lights, then match that to the plug on your trailer.

The trailer wiring harness does connect in the passenger side rear cargo area. To access it (assuming yours is like mine) you'll need to remove the panel in the cargo area on that side.

To do this, you'll need to remove the aluminum strip closest to you in the cargo area, then GENTLY pull the panel loose from the body. The panel is held on with plastic clips. These clips sometimes break, but if you remove the panel gently, you shouldn't have a problem. The wiring harness comes up from the bottom through a rubber grommet. Trace the wire from outside, leading in to where it's cliped in. With mine, it was just a matter of unclipping from the wiring harness. Hopefully yours is as easy as mine was...

The trailer wiring harness does connect in the passenger side rear cargo area.  To access it (assuming yours is like mine) you'll need to remove the panel in the cargo area on that side.

To do this, you'll need to remove the aluminum strip closest to you in the cargo area, then GENTLY pull the panel loose from the body.  The panel is held on with plastic clips.  These clips sometimes break, but if you remove the panel gently, you shouldn't have a problem.  The wiring harness comes up from the bottom through a rubber grommet.  Trace the wire from outside, leading in to where it's cliped in.  With mine, it was just a matter of unclipping from the wiring harness.  Hopefully yours is as easy as mine was...

Thanks for the great & easy instructions. Is there an after market wire harness that will plug right in to the set up on the Lexus so all I would have to do is run the wire up into the truck wall & plug it right in

Thanks Tony

You should be able to find one just about anywhere that has trailering equipment - check your local hardware store or trailer rental shop.

You could get the Toyota/Lexus harness, but they want more than $80 for the harness!!!

You should be able to find one for under $20.

Let me know if you need specific (detailed) instructions, I can check the factory service manual and provide the details if necessary.

post-11053-1102797517_thumb.jpgI went to a Toyota dealer to purchase the Tail light converter for my 97 LX450 figuring it would be cheaper than a Lexus dealer but found out you cannot order just that part. You must order the whole package at a cost of several hundred dollars. The converter itself is a small black unit about 3" long x 1 1/2" wide that is taped on the back passenger cargo wall & has 1 - 6 pin plug to a 4 pin plug in it.

So why than would you have to purchase the whole package when it would only take you about 3 minutes to change this unit with no tools involve?

this may help you

iam not sure if it affects the american vehicles but it is for these years of Canadian ones not sure since you didn;t emntion the year.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/rec...&year=&cmd=next

Make: LEXUS

Model: LX470

Affected Year(s): 1998 1999

Units Affected: 88

TC Recall #: 1999071

Manufacturer:

Campaign Code:

Recall Details

On certain vehicles, water could enter the housing of the trailer towing wire harness converter due to inadequate waterproofing performance and improper installation location of the unit. A short circuit could occur which can cause failure of the converter, and, if a trailer is being towed at the time, can also cause failure of the trailer lights. In some cases the converter housing could melt or electrical feedback could blow the fuse, disabling the vehicle's rear lights. Driving without the vehicle tail and/or trailer lights will increase the possibility of a vehicle crash. Correction: A redesigned towing wire harness converter will be installed in a revised location.

this may help you

iam not sure if it affects the american vehicles but it is for these years of Canadian ones not sure since you didn;t emntion the year.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/rec...&year=&cmd=next

Make: LEXUS

Model: LX470

Affected Year(s): 1998 1999 

Units Affected: 88

TC Recall #: 1999071

Manufacturer: 

Campaign Code: 

Recall Details

On certain vehicles, water could enter the housing of the trailer towing wire harness converter due to inadequate waterproofing performance and improper installation location of the unit. A short circuit could occur which can cause failure of the converter, and, if a trailer is being towed at the time, can also cause failure of the trailer lights. In some cases the converter housing could melt or electrical feedback could blow the fuse, disabling the vehicle's rear lights. Driving without the vehicle tail and/or trailer lights will increase the possibility of a vehicle crash. Correction: A redesigned towing wire harness converter will be installed in a revised location.

1997 LX 450 I am close but as usual no cigar.