Replaced Cv Joint, Still Clicking Noise.

I replaced the passenger side CV halfshaft, and i thought the clicking noise (when i usually turn left) was gone, but i noticed it again this week, and it isnt going away.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding this problem?

Thanks for all your help

Chris

I replaced the passenger side CV halfshaft, and i thought the clicking noise (when i usually turn left) was gone, but i noticed it again this week, and it isnt going away.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding this problem?

Thanks for all your help

Chris

the other CV joints!? LOL

a screw in a tire?

did you post a thread before? ill go look for it to get more background on your problem, so you dont have to explain it all again... ;)

I havent had to drive the car in reverse enough to notice it clicking, but when there is a tiny, and i mean tiny incline, and i put it in reverse and step on the gas there is a large click noise. I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

The boot was exposed for about a year, i know i should have replaced it sooner but what can i say.

Yeah i posted on this topic before, i should have opened it up again, but i rushed it. sorry for littering.

I havent had to drive the car in reverse enough to notice it clicking, but when there is a tiny, and i mean tiny incline, and i put it in reverse and step on the gas there is a large click noise. I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

The boot was exposed for about a year, i know i should have replaced it sooner but what can i say.

Yeah i posted on this topic before, i should have opened it up again, but i rushed it. sorry for littering.

no problem, i found it.

you shoudl have reoplaced the hwole shaft. i got mine at orielly's, 129.99 a piece. then minus a $60.00 core exhange per part, the total came out to ~120 for both axles.

no problem, i found it.

you shoudl have reoplaced the hwole shaft. i got mine at orielly's, 129.99 a piece. then minus a $60.00 core exhange per part, the total came out to ~120 for both axles.

I really dont wanna mess with it anymore. that cv shaft was a pain to put in LoL. Do you think something is gonna fall off when im driving now haha. I wanna see some sparks shooting out the back of my car.

no problem, i found it.

I really dont wanna mess with it anymore. that cv shaft was a pain to put in LoL. Do you think something is gonna fall off when im driving now haha. I wanna see some sparks shooting out the back of my car.

no probably not, it is possible, but not likely.

however, if it does break, possible transaxle/differential damage may result. they arent that bad on my car. just separate the ball joints and tie rids, take of the wheels too. loosen the hub retainer nut, tap the axle out on that side, unbolt the CV shaft on the insde, and the attach new shaft. re assemble, add transs/diff fluid and call it a day.

Haha, you make it sound so easy. But why would the whole axle be bad, i dont understand, because the halfshaft just connects to the axle its not a part of it right.

correct.

the shaft that contains both the inner and outer CV's. one on each end. replace that on both sides.

i asked about the reverse question becuase it has been my experence that when you put it in reverse and u have a bad cv joint it makes a clunking sound and thats how u know they are starting to go

yes, they wil make a noise in revers SOMETIMES. not always, but thats still a good question.

also, on left/right turns at low speeds, you will get a CLUNK. you should be able to feel it in your floorboard.

the inener ones usually are responsible for the ticking noises, whiel the outer ones are usually the culprit behind the clunks. it can work the other way around sometimes though.

i asked about the reverse question becuase it has been my experence that when you put it in reverse and u have a bad cv joint it makes a clunking sound and thats how u know they are starting to go

yes, they wil make a noise in revers SOMETIMES. not always, but thats still a good question.

also, on left/right turns at low speeds, you will get a CLUNK. you should be able to feel it in your floorboard.

the inener ones usually are responsible for the ticking noises, whiel the outer ones are usually the culprit behind the clunks. it can work the other way around sometimes though.

I guess i should have said that it "still clunks" instead of clicking. My fault. What im trying to say is that when i turn left at slow speeds i still hear the same noise as i did before i replaced the cv shaft that had a ripped boot.

You're right about feeling it in the floor boards. It gives you an uneasy feeling.

Glad to see you are restoring your es250. I would too if i had the cash or skills.

I guess i should have said that it "still clunks" instead of clicking. My fault. What im trying to say is that when i turn left at slow speeds i still hear the same noise as i did before i replaced the cv shaft that had a ripped boot.

You're right about feeling it in the floor boards. It gives you an uneasy feeling.

Glad to see you are restoring your es250. I would too if i had the cash or skills.

thats a bad CV joint, classic. check the other side.

otherwise you got a defective part.

also, check your balljoint bushings and all that good stuff, could also be a problem with the steering rack, but we wont go there yet. ($$$$). those tie-rod and ball joint bushings are easy to change while you are itn here, and they are cheap as well.

Ok let me see if it got this straight

the click is now a clunk?

it is more left than right turns

same in reverse?

replaced one cv shaft already?

how far do you have to turn the wheel to make the noise?

how fast or slow does it start and stop

It is in a direct frequnecy to the speed of the wheel?

Did you ever look for a nail in the tire?

I know next to nothing about the mechanics of my car....and I also have a ticking noise when I turn corners at slow speeds.

So what you are trying to say is that my inner CV joints need to be replaced?

more than likely. i wish i was closer (im in DFW) i woudl swing by and take a look-see.

clicking in the drivetrain can only be a handfulof things, if its not motor related (it would do it when engine rev's, even out of gear) then it is CV joints, a nail in tire or a bad wheel bearing. bearings do not normally click, but i have seen it before.

more than likely. i wish i was closer (im in DFW) i woudl swing by and take a look-see.

clicking in the drivetrain can only be a handfulof things, if its not motor related (it would do it when engine rev's, even out of gear) then it is CV joints, a nail in tire or a bad wheel bearing. bearings do not normally click, but i have seen it before.

Actually, I am currently in Brenham going to school...but that drive wouldn't just be a "swing-by". I do not believe the clicking has anything to do with the engine.

I truly hate taking my car to a mechanic b/c I'm paranoid that they are going to tinker with something and cause me more problems. Also, being that I am a young female, I feel that they are likely to take advantage of my inexperience with cars. They see a young woman driving a Lex and think that daddy will pay for it all.

Well daddy doesn't pay for :censored:

Actually, I am currently in Brenham going to school...but that drive wouldn't just be a "swing-by". I do not believe the clicking has anything to do with the engine.

I truly hate taking my car to a mechanic b/c I'm paranoid that they are going to tinker with something and cause me more problems. Also, being that I am a young female, I feel that they are likely to take advantage of my inexperience with cars. They see a young woman driving a Lex and think that daddy will pay for it all.

Well daddy doesn't pay for :censored:

PM me with the location. doesnt have to be exact, but if you coudl give me a reference point, im still kind of new to this state. i have no idea where Brenham TX is. probably nowhere close to here, and it woudl be at least a week before i could get out there. but for the price of gas i would gladly take a look see (if 210 miles, the gas will be $40 total, because i would need to put gas in my car before i leave here and then before i come back.

chances are your CV joint(s) are probably bad.

you know what, ill do you one better, ill just tell you how to check them, that way i dont have to make time to go out there (work +school=BUSY!) and you dont have to pay anything LOL.

there is an EASY way to check these.

get under the car and look at the inside of your wheels/rims. behind the wheel connected to a long shaft about 1 inch in diameter will be a ribbed, cone shaped boot. one on the outside by the wheel and one on the inside colose to the engine/tranny. if those rubber boots are dryrotted/tyorn/leaking grease, they need replaced.

if you do decide you want to get them fixed, i know a great mechanic in dallas (garland) as do most of the members here.

same in reverse?

No, i meant to say that clicking=clunking. It still makes the same noise that it did before i replaced the broken drivers side halfshaft.

It only makes the noise when turning left. And as soon as you start turning left, the noise starts. No matter how fast you are going. The noise doesnt stop untill i straighten the wheel out, or turn right.

I dont know what you mean by "direct frequency to the speed of the wheel", but the faster the car goes while turning left, the quicker the clunk gets.

No nail in tire.

Chris

same in reverse?

No, i meant to say that clicking=clunking. It still makes the same noise that it did before i replaced the broken drivers side halfshaft.

It only makes the noise when turning left. And as soon as you start turning left, the noise starts. No matter how fast you are going. The noise doesnt stop untill i straighten the wheel out, or turn right.

I dont know what you mean by "direct frequency to the speed of the wheel", but the faster the car goes while turning left, the quicker the clunk gets.

No nail in tire.

Chris

thats what he meant by frequency im pretty sure.

im pretty sure its the CV joints. replace the other one, if it doesnt go away, you probably got a defective one the first time.

does it grind at all? or is it only clunking?

their is still a slim chance the nail or something is very close to the inner edge of the tire which is why you can only here it when turning and the camber goes negative on the right wheel to make a tighter turn.

so it would be th right wheel to check that is the passanger side not drivers as left and right on a car is veiwed from the drivers seat not facing the car

their is still a slim chance the nail or something is very close to the inner edge of the tire which is why you can only here it when turning and the camber goes negative on the right wheel to make a tighter turn.

so it would be th right wheel to check that is the passanger side not drivers as left and right on a car is veiwed from the drivers seat not facing the car

that is true, but he said he checked them so i kind of crossed it off the list.

chris-make SURE you do not have a nail/screw/rock in your tire before you tear everything apart again.

if it is inside the tread pattern, or on the inner edge of the tire, it may be hard to spot.