Should My First Oil Change Occur At 1k Mile?

dchan865

Hello all,

I might have hear this from someone long time ago, so now I am stuck with this notion that I should do my first oil change for my 2004 GX at around 1K miles or less. I now have 200 miles on it.

Not sure if there is any validity to this, in a nutshell the reason is that during the engine break in period, extra particles are produced by the engine.

Is this a myth or fact? Love to save that extra money for a movie or something.

If any expert out there know about this, please share your thoughts.

thanks,

DC

Hello all,

I might have hear this from someone long time ago, so now I am stuck with this notion that I should do my first oil change for my 2004 GX at around 1K miles or less.  I now have 200 miles on it. 

Not sure if there is any validity to this, in a nutshell the reason is that during the engine break in period, extra particles are produced by the engine.

thanks,

DC

Way back in the olden days cars came with "break in oil" in the engines. It was a rather thin oil and the recommended change was at 500 miles. Back then, engine bulding tolerances and materials weren't up to the standards of today, so that was a way to wear in the parts via some friction.

These days, a new vehicle comes with the same type oil that is used for every change. Just go by what your owners' manual recommends and you will be ok.

I changed the oil on my brand new Maxima back in the day with 1,000 miles (1,600 Kms).......Probobly didn't need it, but I just figured I dropped that kind of cash on a brand new vehicle & just in case any 'metal particles or shavings' were caught in the oil filter during the 'break in' period. I figure what's $20+ or so for an oil change just in case for peace of mind? Just my 2 cents. B)

:cheers:

I have ~150 miles. Mine comes with complementary 1K & 5K services, including oil change. Check with your dealer. I thought this was standard.

Hello all,

I might have hear this from someone long time ago, so now I am stuck with this notion that I should do my first oil change for my 2004 GX at around 1K miles or less.  I now have 200 miles on it. 

thanks,

DC

I have ~150 miles. Mine comes with complementary 1K & 5K services, including oil change. Check with your dealer. I thought this was standard.

I get that with mine as well. The 1,000 mile check does not include an oil change however, they just check to make sure everyting is tight, all fluid levels and belts are where they a re supposed to be, etc.