Seized Caliper

Peter B IS300 Sport

I just purchase a 2001 IS300 sport with 18560 mi. During the two test drives I noticed a shimmey in the front end. The dealership had the tires balanced and an alignment done. My wife was driving home and the front end began to shake violently. She pulled over and it stopped. When we got home I looked at the left wheel and noticed a lot of carbon dust on it, I took it out and the same thing happened. It appears to be an intermittent problem.

You are in the wrong forum. You should be here> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=2

But anyway, to answer your question......Yes, it sure sounds like a partially seized caliper. I would replace the defective caliper assembly and front pads(both sides).

• 3 weeks later...

When I had a caliper sticking, when I put my hand on the wheel it felt really hot whereas the other side was relatively cool. As the pads wear, the pistons in the calipers are forced further outward causing the boot to gather crud. I replaced my caliper with an original for $90 (from Bap Geon). Took about 1 hour including jacking up the car. I didn't want to have it warping a rotor or anything.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did get a warranty with the car? If you just bought the car have the dealership pay for a new caliper.

Test the caliper out before you go out and buy a new one. Just remove the wheel and then take the caliper off by removing the two hold down bolts. Then get a large C-clamp and try and compress the piston. Use a block of wood or something else so the c-clamp isnt directly on the piston and the pressure is disbursed evenly. If it compresses its good and if not its bad.