Low Oil Pressure Indicator Light

VBdenny

My wife just called and said the yellow light with the oil can came on for about half a minute. She stopped and checked the oil and said it was down halfway between L and full. Sound normal for it to flash when 1/2qt. low?

Actually, I think that particular light is a low oil level light.  It could be a little low since I haven't added any since the last oil change almost 5,000 miles ago.  I use Mobil 1.

from what you described "halfway between L and full", that should be a perfectly normal level, and it shouldn't turns on low oil level light.

the 94LS4 I used to own had the same problem, light was constant on despite oil level was alway perfect. so I just sorta ingored it.....

I would say you must check oil level very frequently for the next few weeks, if the level stays good, then it could be oil-level switch itself which is rather expensive as I recalled.....

Actually, I think that particular light is a low oil level light.  It could be a little low since I haven't added any since the last oil change almost 5,000 miles ago.  I use Mobil 1.

VBdenny,

There are two lights that have a relation to your engine oil.

1) Low Oil Pressure Warning Light (gas can with a tear drop of gas coming out)

2) Low Engine Oil Level Warning Light (gas can with what looks like water underneath it)

If you're getting the light with a gas can and what looks like a tear drop of oil (or some other fluid) coming out of the tip of the gas can then you need to either clean or replace your oil pressure sensor. (1st light above)

If you're getting the light with a gas can and what looks like water (or some other fluid) underneath it then add engine oil as soon as possible (back to full). These things are very sensitive. (2nd light above)

I had the first problem and all I did was drain my engine oil, remove the oil pan gasket, replace the gasket, removed the oil pressure sensor and cleaned it off VERY well with a little water and assembled everything back together. No more light and no more problems.

The oil pressure sensor may be cheap but at Lexus and Toyota it isn't. But if you don't want to DIY and get a lil' dirty then go to a trusted mechanic and have him replace the oil pan gasket and see if he can clean off your oil pressure sensor...if you're getting the 1st light I descibed above that is. Then again, even if you're getting the low engine oil level light it still wouldn't hurt to get a new oil pan gasket and clean off your oil pressure sensor or get a new one. Hope this helps.

VBdenny,

There are two lights that have a relation to your engine oil.

1) Low Oil Pressure Warning Light (gas can with a tear drop of gas coming out)

2) Low Engine Oil Level Warning Light (gas can with what looks like water underneath it)

If you're getting the light with a gas can and what looks like a tear drop of oil (or some other fluid) coming out of the tip of the gas can then you need to either clean or replace your oil pressure sensor. (1st light above)

If you're getting the light with a gas can and what looks like water (or some other fluid) underneath it then add engine oil as soon as possible (back to full). These things are very sensitive. (2nd light above)

I had the first problem and all I did was drain my engine oil, remove the oil pan gasket, replace the gasket, removed the oil pressure sensor and cleaned it off VERY well with a little water and assembled everything back together. No more light and no more problems.

The oil pressure sensor may be cheap but at Lexus and Toyota it isn't. But if you don't want to DIY and get a lil' dirty then go to a trusted mechanic and have him replace the oil pan gasket and see if he can clean off your oil pressure sensor...if you're getting the 1st light I descibed above that is. Then again, even if you're getting the low engine oil level light it still wouldn't hurt to get a new oil pan gasket and clean off your oil pressure sensor or get a new one. Hope this helps.

not sure about the LS400, but in my ES250, it has to be WAY low to come on, like about 1/4th of a quart under the add line. when i took delivery, it was that low, and the light was not on...

I appreciate all the insight. The light that came on is the low oil level light (the amber one), not the low oil pressure light. My wife said that it came on everytime she went over 70. When she slowed down below 70, it went off again. I changed the oil and filter and ran it up to about 80 and no light. I also put on my new K&N air filter so I'll probably go out for a HS Interstate run later to check it out.

The old filter element was nasty, I'll take a picture. I must have missed ever changing that.

Regarding the indicator light, is the sensor insdie the oil pan? You have to lift the engine to replace it then?

I appreciate all the insight.  The light that came on is the low oil level light (the amber one), not the low oil pressure light.  My wife said that it came on everytime she went over 70.  When she slowed down below 70, it went off again.  I changed the oil and filter and ran it up to about 80 and no light.  I also put on my new K&N air filter so I'll probably go out for a HS Interstate run later to check it out.

The old filter element was nasty, I'll take a picture.  I must have missed ever changing that.

Regarding the indicator light,  is the sensor insdie the oil pan?  You have to lift the engine to replace it then?

Actually, that's the light that came on inside my car and it did do the same thing. It came on when I went over 70 and went off when I slowed down. Still, the oil pressure sensor can affect a lot of other things. When a car has too many electronic components a lot of things can get "screwy." The oil pressure sensor is inside the pan. Just get it cleaned off. It fixed my problem with any oil lights coming on. I don't believe you have to lift the engine. Just take it to a good mechanic, not necessarily someone at Lexus.

VBdenny did confirm it is the oil-level warning light, NOT the oil presure light. while oil presure switch is rather cheap (maybe $80 at dealer) and it's very easy to change or clean, but oil-level sensor is in the range of few hundred dollars and it's inside the engine oil pan, you will have to remove the lower oil pan and oil pan baffle plate to get to it, not an easy DYI job, it seems....

I haven't had it come on sice I changed the oil. I guess it doesn't hurt to drive with the light on as long as your oil level is okay. Probably the sensor got gunked up or something. I doubt the oil temperature is too high as the engine runs rock steady temperature. I guess it is just one of those things.