Fuel Pump

daffy

Hi,

Just curious, I have 390,000 kms on my 1991 LS400 and pretty sure the fuel pump has never been changed. Should I change it now to be safe or do these pumps last a lot longer? Thanks,daffy

i don't know that i've ever heard of one going out..............i don't think its a very common problem............

i wouldn't go throught the effort of changing it out, right now, if its not faulty, there is no sense in it.........you might could change ur fuel filter though.

Well if you ever plan to DIY or have a friend to DIY, you can always check out Lexls.com he's a LOC member. He has an extensive DIY tutorial. I believe the fuel filter DIY is credited to a LOC member here too. His name is 92Lex. You can find his other DIY in the main page in the tutorial section. He has done quite a lot too. If i remember correctly, he's a smog tech guy right?

One day i will find a pic online to rival his squarrel :chairshot: :P

Agree  :cheers:

that's 240,000 miles  -  fuel filter is usually changed every 60k /5 yrs...

Did you mean the filter in the first place?

Hi,

I meant the fuel pump itself, I think I would be better off replacing it in the convenience of my garage rather than getting stuck on the road somewhere. I am curious though, how long they last? But it looks like nobody really knows.

daffy

I don't think I've ever heard of a fuel pump going out on an LS. If you're worried about it then just don't run the tank dry, fill up with a quarter tank remaining. I personally wouldn't change it unless it broke.

If you're interested Lextreme has a tutorial on changing the fuel pump, it's really an upgrade since he's running high performance stuff. The upgrade he did in the tutorial is not needed for people with a stock engine. However, it shows you exactly how to take out the stock fuel pump.

http://www.lextreme.com/fp.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Fuel Pumps, located inside the fuel tank, are "cooled" by fuel. If you run the tank real low, ie low level light on, you most likely are not getting sufficient cooling - therefore quickly wearing it out.

Lexls is correct - "just don't run the tank dry".

I think I would be better off replacing it in the convenience of my garage rather than getting stuck on the road somewhere. I am curious though, how long they last? But it looks like nobody really knows.

Since 1975 Toyota electric fuel pumps have lasted 500,000+ miles IF the fuel filter is changed every 60,000 miles and the owner doesn't habitually let the gas gauge get down to the empty mark or below. I have 451,300 miles on my '92 toyota pickup fuel pump. American car and aftermarlet "upgrade" fuel pumps do not deliver that kind of awesome durability.

I think I would be better off replacing it in the convenience of my garage rather than getting stuck on the road somewhere. I am curious though, how long they last? But it looks like nobody really knows.

Since 1975 Toyota electric fuel pumps have lasted 500,000+ miles IF the fuel filter is changed every 60,000 miles and the owner doesn't habitually let the gas gauge get down to the empty mark or below. I have 451,300 miles on my '92 toyota pickup fuel pump. American car and aftermarlet "upgrade" fuel pumps do not deliver that kind of awesome durability.

And I believe you Monarch! Last year I was cruising my 92 Caprice up I-295 in NJ late one Sunday night, I was cruising at a pleasant 80 or so. Then I felt a slight stumble which felt like fuel deprivation. Nothing for several miles then I felt it again. After another mile, it grew noticeably worse then the cjeck engine light came on. S***, luckily, I was just approaching an exit. I whipped down the ramp, through a red light and into a Wendy's parking lot. As I pulled up into a space, the engine died. I cranked and no gas. I called AAA and had the car towed up to a Chevy dealer in Caldwell and they determined that the fuel pump had failed. After only 184,000 miles!

I usually fill up when I am about 1/4 tank, is that cool for protecting the pump?