Coming Out Of The Woodwork!

I guess it had to happen. I have always been a big car detailer. All of my cars are usually extremely clean and of course carrying several coats of wax. Many of my neighbors think I am deranged because I wash my cars at midnight sometimes. I installed giant floodlights over my driveway just for that purpose.

First one, "can you wax my car?" okay $250 great when. Then the next Okay $300, when? Up to $400 and they still keep coming? It really eats into the time I need to do regular things (like food shopping, laundry, cleaning, and such). So where do you draw the line? I have turned away several people because I didn't like their cars. I am sorry but I am not going to wax and 95 Crown Vic, or a black 95 Volvo, neither of which have ben maintained to anything close to normal. I quioted the Volvo guy $500 and he squirmed.

Too bad that we all don't live in the same city and could pool our resources and start a detailers dream shop.

Tell me about it! I'm the same way, I do a few cars on the side but I draw the line when it cuts into time I'm working, my weekends, or the time when I want to be detailing my own car. Sometimes its really hard to tell people no, especially when they want me to do their car so bad...

Yeah I do perfect work and I will not do quick jobs. It just blows my mind that people will pay me $400 to do their cars. I wish I had the time to make a lot of money. Hard to put a price on love.

Tell me about it! I'm the same way, I do a few cars on the side but I draw the line when it cuts into time I'm working, my weekends, or the time when I want to be detailing my own car. Sometimes its really hard to tell people no, especially when they want me to do their car so bad...

Steve,

You are the closest to me so i guess i will be there tomorrow. What time is good for you? lol :lol:

j/k

My husband usually does my car and he has been so busy that i am about ready to do it myself. :whistles: The only bad thing about it is that i don't know how to use the buffer thing. :rolleyes: lol I'm sure that i could figure it out it is that i don't want to figure it out. :D

Steve,

You are the closest to me so i guess i will be there tomorrow. What time is good for you? lol :lol:

j/k

My husband usually does my car and he has been so busy that i am about ready to do it myself. :whistles: The only bad thing about it is that i don't know how to use the buffer thing. :rolleyes: lol I'm sure that i could figure it out it is that i don't want to figure it out. :D

i dont use a buffer, nothing that goes in swirls/circles ever comes near a car from my hands.

Buffer's the only way to really polish the paint and remove imperfections like swirls and oxidation. Modern paints are just too hard to do that by hand anymore.

You can buy several different polishers like the PC or the Cyclo that don't spin in one direction like a rotary, hence won't damage the paint, but will give you more oomph and ability to really correct imperfections instead of just hide them. For a lot of studff though you still need a rotary...

i dont use a buffer, nothing that goes in swirls/circles ever comes near a car from my hands

obviosly you haven't used a PC, because if you did you would make that kinda comment. ;)

first, you can't fix paint problems by hand, not swirls, cobwebs, scratches, oxidation anyting......you can only hide them temporarily

and the shine this machine produces is far supperior to anything you can do by hand application

Yeah I have to agree. For paint that isn't bad you can clay it out. When it gets really bad a buffer is the only answer because it would take you months to buff it out by hand. I am kind of at the point that I don't wax cars that require buffing. I have, but I don't like it because you can get swirls. Look at cars at traffic lights and you can see swirls done by someone who didn't know what they are doing.

My 1,000 post

Denny

PCs don't really create swirls.......as long as your surface and pads are clean.....as the buffer oscilates......

i know what u mean about that though, it really does take a long time to do a thorough and correct job using a PC, i beleive it takes me anywhere from 6-8 hours to completely do my car THE RIGHT WAY with me buffer, but thats withe 4 different products and pads........

its well worth it though......

i'm gonna do a Black Nissan 300ZX twin turbo (man that thing is SUPER FAST), this weekend or next, it has ur usual light swirls and cob webs, but the paint is in otherwise great shape.......i love detailing sweet cars..........

• 2 weeks later...
I really wish I had more time to put such great effort into maintaining my car. As a full-time college student with two jobs and a great manicure, I cannot be completely thorough when I do get the opportunity to care for my car.

i here that, i think everyone pretty much has a full schedule most of the time......but if you can just find time for a one day deditcaton for your car's paint it would help out tremendously, once every 6 months, with a full on detail and you'll be fine......clay and buff and polish and put a nice couple of coats of sealant on and your in business.......then just randomly use wax as you dry.. after you wash her and your set. ;)

then you can just apply more sealant down the road every couple of months (only takes about an hour for that)...thats what i usually do.......its all about the knocking the prep outta the way, get all the contaminents off the paint and such....for a smooth finish then seal her up........ :lol:

I finally broke down and put some elbow action into my car. I spent about 2 and a half hours yesterday washing, polishing, and waxing and WOW, does she look beautiful. I never knew my paint had so much potential!

Thanks for everyone's input and advice. I never knew washing my own car could make me so happy.

I finally broke down and put some elbow action into my car. I spent about 2 and a half hours yesterday washing, polishing, and waxing and WOW, does she look beautiful. I never knew my paint had so much potential!

Thanks for everyone's input and advice. I never knew washing my own car could make me so happy.

good job man, :D

i know, it feels great to have a shiny car huh.......i did my buddies Acura Legend coupe this weekend (pearl white), and he just couldn't believe how shiny i made it.....

he came down to see me and go to the Jermain Taylor Vs. William Joppy fight.... (Taylor is from AR.......and he's a bad man, come one come all, he's taking over buddy, i guarantee it)

he's already called me 3 times telling me how sweet his car looks... :lol:

its fun to do once you get into it, and actually start seeing some results, and what your paint CAN look like

:cheers: