Suspension Noise...

Renderhaus

'93 SC400 - Everythings fine driving on moderately bumpy roads, but whenever I go over larger than normal highs or dips (speed bumps, steep driveways, etc.) I hear short, rub/squeak type noises coming from the suspension on every bounce. I don't know when (or if) the stock shocks and/or springs were replaced. I've only had it a couple months.

Has anyone experienced this before? I tend the think the control arm bushings have never been touched on this car. The sound makes me think they may be dried out.

thanks.

My first LS (a 90) had bushing noise problems (loud groans and squeeks) when just a few years old. The dealer came up with a permanent fix only when he learned how much attention the noise was drawing from parents when I drove across a speed bump in front of an expensive private school. Seeing him visualize the lost car sales was rather humorous.

My '93 made like a loose "dink" sound when I would drive over perpendicular seams in the pavement. I then notice that my tires were wearing bad on the inside. Had my front lower control arm bushings replaced and a set of Tokico Blues shocks slapped on. Oh man!..Like a new car. The "dink" sound turned into a solid "thunk". Cornering is unreal. I thought it drove great before. Highway stability is awesome. Worn lower control arm bushings are a very common problem with SC's. You can pretty much count on yours being blown. Mine still drove straight, even when the bushing were shot. Still cant understand that.

My '93 made like a loose "dink" sound when I would drive over perpendicular seams in the pavement. I then notice that my tires were wearing bad on the inside. Had my front lower control arm bushings replaced and a set of Tokico Blues shocks slapped on. Oh man!..Like a new car. The "dink" sound turned into a solid "thunk". Cornering is unreal. I thought it drove great before. Highway stability is awesome. Worn lower control arm bushings are a very common problem with SC's. You can pretty much count on yours being blown. Mine still drove straight, even when the bushing were shot. Still cant understand that.

Man I just ordered a set of Tokciko blues.Now that you say that,i should buy those bushings.My question is where to buy and how many do i buy?Im assuming 4 for the whole car and how much of a difference to the new LCA bushings make and what do they do to make the ride better?I was undecided on gettin KYB or Tokicos and by the time i ordered the Tokicos i read that the KYBs were softer and then i got mad and please pardon my newbieness i dont know much bout Lexus,ive always had Nissans.

I was going to buy my bushings from www.tmengineering.net but my mechanic had already ordered them, so I decided to use his. Well, those ended up being too small so with my car in pieces we had to quickly purchase a set locally for like $120.00 each side..Ouch! You may want to ask around and see what people think of the Daizen control arm bushing sets sold on www.tmengineering.net. As far as the shocks go, I think you made the best choice. When you first put them on dont let the feel scare you. At first they gave me motion sickness, especially on the freeway. At first they have a very stiff feel to them, and every bump in the road would cause the ride to be full of fast, sharp bounces. I was like "Oh no!!..What have I done.. No more road trips!.. This is making me ill"..lol. After a couple of days though, they broke in perfect. Your cornering and breaking will show drastic improvement, or at least it did with mine. LCA?? I'll have to research that. C-ya

You ought to call them. I think that's for the whole front end. I just probably got screwed on mine. I had to buy mine quick and in a hurry locally.

ya they that will do the entire front.Im worried though.Seams like a very big job to me and dont know if all mechanics around here know how to do it right.Ur supposed to reuse some parts of the original bushings i believe.

You could take a road trip down to Houston and have my guy slap them on. lol $185 labor. Then again I ended up paying $200 for just the bushings, so who knows how much the labor really was. That kit probably has some sort of instructions. I know it required a hydrolic press or at least that's what my mechanic said. Good luck.

Come to think of it, there was a place someone on here recommended where they took you arm as a core and would then send you a rebuilt one. Cant remember the cost. If I remember right the cost didnt seem too bad. Then all you would have to do is remove and install the arms. Maybe someone on here remembers the place. Search "rebuilt control arms".