Magnetic Drain Plug

bizturbed

a what?

why do you need a magnetic drain plug?

steviej

the next oil change is coming up, and i figured to replace the original oil drain plug with a magnetic one, since i've read that these are pretty handy with catching metal contaminants.

to date, i haven't noticed any metal particles when i've changed my oil, but i just wanted to put a magnetic plug in as a precaution. hopefully, i will never need it.

anyway, thanks to all who responded to this.

hi,

can anyone recommend an online store where I can buy a magnetic drain plug for my '92 es 300.

Not altogether a bad idea. In fact, relatively harmless. But, remember that these work, to the extent that they do, mostly if not entirely on ferrous metals. The more common metal particles in oil would be copper, from bearings. If you have a noticeable build up on this plug, you have pretty serious problems.

I've used a magnet that attaches to the oil filter to attract metal shaving on an old Mazda as it sounded harmless. Guess what, my AC stops cooling and couldn't figure out for the longest time why, so I tried to start from scratch and remove all aftermarket parts that I have added and found out this magnet was the culprit. AC starts working good again after removal of the oil filter magnet.

I've also used this on my Infiniti and have some minor problem that I no longer recall the exact issue, but I have remove this magnet junk since.

Just save your money and get a better oil and filter instead.

I've used a magnet that attaches to the oil filter to attract metal shaving on an old Mazda as it sounded harmless. Guess what, my AC stops cooling and couldn't figure out for the longest time why, so I tried to start from scratch and remove all aftermarket parts that I have added and found out this magnet was the culprit.  AC starts working good again after removal of the oil filter magnet.

I've also used this on my Infiniti and have some minor problem that I no longer recall the exact issue, but I have remove this magnet junk since.

Sorry, I don't agree that a little magnet can affect the operation of the air conditioning system. It must have been a coincidence. :whistles:

First I've heard of such a product. :blink: Intresting concept I guess but I wonder if it does anything at all? :unsure: How many Lexus owners use this plug? I figure a quality oil filter would pretty much take care of any small metal particles as it is & would make that plug redundant? :huh:

:cheers:

I've used a magnet that attaches to the oil filter to attract metal shaving on an old Mazda as it sounded harmless. Guess what, my AC stops cooling and couldn't figure out for the longest time why, so I tried to start from scratch and remove all aftermarket parts that I have added and found out this magnet was the culprit.  AC starts working good again after removal of the oil filter magnet.

Sorry, I don't agree that a little magnet can affect the operation of the air conditioning system. It must have been a coincidence.:whistles:

You can believe whatever makes you feel better.

I've install and reinstall the oil filter magnet for testing purposes before coming to this conclusion as I find it hard to believe myself at first.

magnetic drain plugs seem harmless to me, ive had one before. the only thing i could think of as a hazard is it getting in the way of your oil sump ( if your oil sump is close to your drain plug). magnetic plugs can be found anywere- almost all auto parts stores have them. no need to get them online at all. they are usually much cheaper at the stores (like 2-6 buck) about the same as regular plugs.

I'm just wondering if they cost roughly the same price, & if they work that well....why don't the auto makers install them as standard equipment in their vehicles? I'm sure if bought in bulk, they wouldn't cost the car companies much (if any) more than a standard drain plug. B)

I'm just wondering if they cost roughly the same price, & if they work that well....why don't the auto makers install them as standard equipment in their vehicles?  I'm sure if bought in bulk, they wouldn't cost the car companies much (if any) more than a standard drain plug.  B)

example...if the magnetic plug cost 5cents more per plug...you say wow a nickle...but think about it...if they install them as standard equipment in all cars that is a big deal...say they make 500,000 cars/trucks/suvs at an additional nickel each that a total of $25,000 not to mention they will have an extra expense to put that in the manual costing say another 5 cents...which adds up to another $25,000...a total of $50,000 just to do that...its all about profit