Just Got A Free Ls

tanksls

My father in law just gave me an 92 LS 400 with 184,000 miles. It needs lots of work new p/s hose, p/s pump, upper control arm, lower, some wierd noise when you star it and it looks like it neds a rack and pinion and rear seal.

I hope you guys can help a brother out!

Never thought I can afford a lexus (This was free) :whistles:

like wut Lexls said... check out his site. It covers an extensive DIY. Some i wouldn't dare to touch, but you might. Also, you might want to check some of the tutorials that 92lex (drunk squarrel guy :P ;) ) did. He did quite a few too in this club. You can find 92Lex's tutorials @ the main page and if you scroll close to the bottm there is a section called Tutorials.

If you don't want to DIY, i would suggest the next best thing is bringing to a Toyota Dealer. They can get the work done for a fraction of the price of going to Lexus unless your well off. But judging by what you stated, your going to be like almost everyone of us, not willing to pay the big $$$$ for a over charged mechanic for your car. But generally of course the service is good. So you'd rather DIY or bring to a Toyota Dealer or bring to a mechanic you can trust.

Good luck with your car and your driving with class now. Enjoy it. B)

like wut Lexls said... check out his site.  It covers an extensive DIY.  Some i wouldn't dare to touch, but you might.  Also, you might want to check some of the tutorials that 92lex (drunk squarrel guy :P  ;) ) did.  He did quite a few too in this club.  You can find 92Lex's tutorials @ the main page and if you scroll close to the bottm there is a section called Tutorials.

If you don't want to DIY, i would suggest the next best thing is bringing to a Toyota Dealer.  They can get the work done for a fraction of the price of going to Lexus unless your well off.  But judging by what you stated, your going to be like almost everyone of us, not willing to pay the big $$$$ for a over charged mechanic for your car.  But generally of course the service is good.  So you'd rather DIY or bring to a Toyota Dealer or bring to a mechanic you can trust.

Good luck with your car and your driving with class now.  Enjoy it. B)

Hahah, yeah. Thanks for directing it within the club...good goin'!

A bad PCV valve can pressurize the crankcase and force oil out the rear main seal and out any openings on the oil pan gasket.  Repalcing the PCV valve may slow these leaks to a tolerable level.

Thanks I will inspect that in my many things to do. I hear a noise from the engine when I first start it makes me afraid of driving around town. sounds like its coming from the timing belt cover and the pullys. :unsure:

I just replaced the fan bracket. idler pulley, and tensioner pullley which are all on the serpentine drive belt on my 92 LS400 with 202K miles in the last few months. The fan bracket bearing would make an intermittant noise like the power steering pump was locking up. The fan bracket bearing finally failed completely and threw the belt off. The other two bearings just made a constant noise.

It might be a good idea to remove the serpentine belt and hand spin all the items on the drive belt to see if any of them sound rough.

Great deal!

The real seal leak may be your biggest problem and/or the steering rack. I complained about my 90 LS's problems with 235K, but luckily I still had absolutely NO leaks anywhere. At least that was one good thing about my car. <_< Since the car was free, you should be comfortable spending a little money on it. Even of you had to spend $3000 on it to get it in order, that would be good.

Good luck and enjoy. These cars are silky smooth.

like wut Lexls said... check out his site.  It covers an extensive DIY.  Some i wouldn't dare to touch, but you might.  Also, you might want to check some of the tutorials that 92lex (drunk squarrel guy :P  ;) ) did.  He did quite a few too in this club.  You can find 92Lex's tutorials @ the main page and if you scroll close to the bottm there is a section called Tutorials.

If you don't want to DIY, i would suggest the next best thing is bringing to a Toyota Dealer.  They can get the work done for a fraction of the price of going to Lexus unless your well off.  But judging by what you stated, your going to be like almost everyone of us, not willing to pay the big $$$$ for a over charged mechanic for your car.  But generally of course the service is good.  So you'd rather DIY or bring to a Toyota Dealer or bring to a mechanic you can trust.

Good luck with your car and your driving with class now.  Enjoy it. B)

heh, you are just out of reach. there is a shop i reccomend here in dallas (garland) called JP Imports. Lexus and toyota only, the email address is jpimportz@yahoo.com. if you want to have the car towed (it sounds liek its not driveable) or drive it there, he can fix you right up, with dealer quailty work at a fraction fo the cost. the owner, jason, is a Lexus/Toyota Certified Master Technician.

adress is:

3521 Security St. Ste 101

Garland Tx, 75042-7627.

you may be able to find good work in your area, but Jason is thew best i know of. if the car will make it here, that is my suggestion. ;)