Ok, So I Did All This...what Next?

1991LS400

Hey guys,

I have a 1991 LS 400 (hence my screen name) which I purchased for around $1,700 with 250K miles and I've just recently dropped nearly $5,000 on my baby mainly just RESTORING it. I don't even have any aftermarket performance parts yet. Check out this list of what I've fixed and/or replaced on Lexi and please tell me what I should be checking next:

So far I have fixed and/or replaced the following:

- Rubber air hose connector for intake

- Hood latch

- Transmmission mount

- Motor mounts (2)

- Hood shocks

- Front brake pads w/rotor resurfacing

- Rear brake pads w/rotor resurfacing

- Bosch battery

- NGK Spark Plugs

- Ignition wire set

- Ignition rotor

- Ignition caps

- Air filter

- Transmission cooler line

- P/S hose

- P/S pump

- Rack and pinion

- Oil pan gasket set

- Oil pressure sensor

- EGR valve

- Yokohama tires w/balancing and alignment

- OEM Rear springs

- OEM Rear struts

- OEM bushings (front/rear)

- OEM strut rod bushings (rear)

- Tail light harnesses (2)

- Timing belt

- Timing belt tensioner

- Timing belt tensioner - Idler Pulley

- Cam seal

- Crank seal

- Radiator

- Fuel Injection cleaning including throttle body

- Antenna mast

- Driver side headlight assembly

- Driver side parking light lens

- JDM clear bumper signal lenses

- JDM red/clear tail light lenses

- Blue led light for ignition switch ring (superbrightleds.com)

- Jim Walker LCD screen for climate control w/blue led backlighting (superbrightleds.com)

- EuroDezigns 6000K H.I.D. D.O.T. approved xenon/krypton headlight bulbs (baby blue)

- all new superwhite/blue interior lighting and bulb replacement from Extreme Lites

Is there anything else I should be checking for and fixing or replacing?

Thanks guys.

Sounds like you covered a lot. I would like to have done everyone of this on my car. But i don't even have $5,000 to put down let alone $1,000. Did you DIY or did you bring it to Lexus, Toyota, or outside mechanic to have all of this done?

Would you like to trade your newer part lexus for my old beat up lexus?!?!? :chairshot: HAHAHAHA... j/k j/k

Congrats hope all goes well with your baby. :lol:

JEEEEZ!!! If that were my car, I'd have no worries whatsoever after all of those repairs!!! You've got everything...p/s pump, bushings, lcd screen, and timing belt. The only possible things I could think of are the head gaskets and a valve job. Short of the car blowing up, I think you're good to go! Personally, I'd sit back and enjoy the miles! B) Excellent work!

:cheers:

JEEEEZ!!! If that were my car, I'd have no worries whatsoever after all of those repairs!!! You've got everything...p/s pump, bushings, lcd screen, and timing belt. The only possible things I could think of are the head gaskets and a valve job. Short of the car blowing up, I think you're good to go! Personally, I'd sit back and enjoy the miles! B)  Excellent work!

damn dude, i have a lot too, most of which is on your list.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the positive feedback about the work I've done on Lexi. She's a beauty. Just needs a really good paint job to get rid of some of the paint coming off of the front bumper and getting a dent out of the back bumper. Both of those things are actually not noticable noticable but they're noticable. You know what I mean?

I'm sure there are other things to do on my car. I'll probably get my head gaskets and valve stuff checked. Also, I'll probably get a new transmission because the person who had the car before me didn't even do a drain and refill since 1997. Surprisingly, the transmission has little to no problem. But I still want a new one.

I got all of my work done at Sugar Creek ExxonMobil here in Sugar Land, Texas which is a suburb of Houston. My mechanic there has ASE certifications in everything including certifications from dealerships. He can do anything with any car. His name's Roger.

Anyway, besides a new tranny and a wide body kit from Erebuni Corp. and some JDM performance parts...OH...and new catalytic converters (I need to get those replaced along with my catback exhaust system)...it looks like I'm good to go.

Again, thanks for all the great feedback.

P.S. With all that work done and almost no flaws (people honestly rate my LS 400 a 8/9 on a 10 scale) how much do you think my car is worth with 250K on it?

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the positive feedback about the work I've done on Lexi.  She's a beauty.  Just needs a really good paint job to get rid of some of the paint coming off of the front bumper and getting a dent out of the back bumper.  Both of those things are actually not noticable noticable but they're noticable.  You know what I mean?

I'm sure there are other things to do on my car.  I'll probably get my head gaskets and valve stuff checked.  Also, I'll probably get a new transmission because the person who had the car before me didn't even do a drain and refill since 1997.  Surprisingly, the transmission has little to no problem.  But I still want a new one.

I got all of my work done at Sugar Creek ExxonMobil here in Sugar Land, Texas which is a suburb of Houston.  My mechanic there has ASE certifications in everything including certifications from dealerships.  He can do anything with any car.  His name's Roger.

Anyway, besides a new tranny and a wide body kit from Erebuni Corp. and some JDM performance parts...OH...and new catalytic converters (I need to get those replaced along with my catback exhaust system)...it looks like I'm good to go.

P.S.  With all that work done and almost no flaws (people honestly rate my LS 400 a 8/9 on a 10 scale) how much do you think it can go for with 250K on it?

SINCE YOU ALREADY REPLACED ALMOST EVERYTHING....I THINK IT CAN GO FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER 200K OR MORE...

GOOD LUCK SIR. :cheers:

NIKO

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the positive feedback about the work I've done on Lexi.  She's a beauty.  Just needs a really good paint job to get rid of some of the paint coming off of the front bumper and getting a dent out of the back bumper.  Both of those things are actually not noticable noticable but they're noticable.  You know what I mean?

I'm sure there are other things to do on my car.  I'll probably get my head gaskets and valve stuff checked.  Also, I'll probably get a new transmission because the person who had the car before me didn't even do a drain and refill since 1997.  Surprisingly, the transmission has little to no problem.  But I still want a new one.

I got all of my work done at Sugar Creek ExxonMobil here in Sugar Land, Texas which is a suburb of Houston.  My mechanic there has ASE certifications in everything including certifications from dealerships.  He can do anything with any car.  His name's Roger.

P.S.  With all that work done and almost no flaws (people honestly rate my LS 400 a 8/9 on a 10 scale) how much do you think it can go for with 250K on it?

SINCE YOU ALREADY REPLACED ALMOST EVERYTHING....I THINK IT CAN GO FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER 200K OR MORE...

GOOD LUCK SIR. :cheers:

NIKO

Sorry I didn't clarify myself. I meant how much do you think my car would be worth with 250K on it? Thanks.

Not sure about how much it would be worth. But I presume it might be over 5k + wutever Kelly or edmunds would put ur car's worth. If it has a rebuilt engine possibly even more ;) But Lexus engine's seldom break down if it's taken care of. Even a local junk yard told me when i asked him about Tranny's n engine's... he told me... "WHY WOULD YOU EVEN BE SEARCHING FOR A LS TRANNY N ENGINE?!?!??! THEY NEVER EVEN BREAK DOWN!?!?!?!" That was his exact words to me. he even goes on telling me that he has a lexus tranny and engine and it's been sitting there forever. He told me he'd sell it to me dirt cheap because he can't get rid of it. My lil sister drives a 93 Maxima and everyone know's their Tranny's are horrible.

Well anyways, are you going to change your exhaust pipes??!?! Hahaha... i'll buy a certain piece off of you if you do :whistles: I can't seem to find it. I guess i'll check the local junkyards when i head back to NYC. It's some sort of Y SHAPE pipe. I don't remember the number. :cries: But if u do sell them... PM me. B)

1991LS400,

Valve adjustment?

Go to KBB.com to find out how much your vehicle would go for. I wouldn't even sell it if I were you though....it doesn't get better then that.

Do you not do valve adjustments on 91 LS 400's?

Yeah they do...when I was searching for a LS, every 90-94 I looked at made horiffic valve clatter, so I gave JP Importz a call to get ideas on the repairs and prices, and they do indeed offer this service. He said pricing depends on how many valves he has to reshim; he said typically around $500 though.

I doubt you could get very much for your car eventhough it is in perfect shape. The only thing the buyers are going to hear are 250k miles and 13 years old. After all of that work, enjoy all of the repairs!

If an engine is rebuilt can you legally start the mileage over on the cluster board at 0 again? Technically, wouldn't it be like starting back at 0? I'm not selling my car, of course, but what would you tell someone who's interested in purchasing your car if they ask the mileage but your engine has been rebuilt to new again?

Sorry for the ignorant question. But I gotta know what I don't know.

If an engine is rebuilt can you legally start the mileage over on the cluster board at 0 again?  Technically, wouldn't it be like starting back at 0?  I'm not selling my car, of course, but what would you tell someone who's interested in purchasing your car if they ask the mileage but your engine has been rebuilt to new again?

Sorry for the ignorant question.  But I gotta know what I don't know.

I doubt it because the counter tells you how many miles is actually on the vehicle/chassis. If you have receipts then just keep those as proof of mileage on the engine when it was rebuilt.