Need Advice On '93 Es300. Buy?

dockerguy

Me again. Some of you read of my experience with a '93 ES300 a couple weeks ago, that I took back. I've been looking since and there just aren't that many in SoCal. I found one in Sandy Eggo. Here's the story:

Front seats are trashed

Body is OK with a few chips here and there. Dark Green.

New tires and brakes

The seller (a kid) said his uncle replaced both valve cover gaskets; timing belt; water pump; catalytic converter recently. There are no receipts since it was a "family affair".

The seller said he knows someone who can reupholster the bottom of the seats for $60.00 each.

It drives nicely, sounds good. Has remote start, which is cool. He want's $3,800.00.

VS.

'94 Lincoln Mark VIII with 88K miles. Original owner (72 year old retired millionaire), always dealer services, all records; immaculate; rebuilt tranny. Took to a Ford Repair Facility for inspection. All OK. Guy thought it was a '99. He wants $4,000.00 (He just bought two brand new Lincolns, which don't even have plates on them yet.

I know these are two totally different cars. The Lincoln feels huge compared to the Lexus and has all kinds of computer toys, air suspension that lowers 1.5" at 65mph, etc. The "cockpit" wraps around you and it even has an armrest that's useful! :)

I hate to even mention a Lincoln here, but hey, you guys are open-minded, right? <duck!>

What do you think? The Lexus has a better resale value since the Mark VIII is now extinct.

Thanks in advance!

Me again.  Some of you read of my experience with a '93 ES300 a couple weeks ago, that I took back.  I've been looking since and there just aren't that many in SoCal.  I found one in Sandy Eggo.  Here's the story:

Front seats are trashed

Body is OK with a few chips here and there.  Dark Green.

New tires and brakes

The seller (a kid) said his uncle replaced both valve cover gaskets; timing belt; water pump; catalytic converter recently.  There are no receipts since it was a "family affair".

The seller said he knows someone who can reupholster the bottom of the seats for $60.00 each.

It drives nicely, sounds good.  Has remote start, which is cool.  He want's $3,800.00.

VS.

'94 Lincoln Mark VIII with 88K miles.  Original owner (72 year old retired millionaire), always dealer services, all records; immaculate; rebuilt tranny.  Took to a Ford Repair Facility for inspection.  All OK.  Guy thought it was a '99.  He wants $4,000.00  (He just bought two brand new Lincolns, which don't even have plates on them yet. 

I know these are two totally different cars.  The Lincoln feels huge compared to the Lexus and has all kinds of computer toys, air suspension that lowers 1.5" at 65mph, etc. The "cockpit" wraps around you and it even has an armrest that's useful!  :)

I hate to even mention a Lincoln here, but hey, you guys are open-minded, right?  <duck!>

What do you think?  The Lexus has a better resale value since the Mark VIII is now extinct.

Thanks in advance!

Personally, I'd go with the Lincoln.

1. Why are you worried about resale value? You're buying a $4 K car. If you even get a couple of years out of it, you've done OK. Once you're talking about a $2 K residual (which is the best you could hope for after a couple of years), it if runs well and looks good, you'll get some money.

2. The Lincoln has clearly been better maintained. Given your past experience, I can't imagine why you'd even consider an older car with no records and nothing more than someone's promise that they did certain work (which might not even have been done right).

3. The Lincoln has half the mileage.

Since the Lincoln was driven less than 10 K miles per year, you might want to have the compression testeed checked if the Ford facility didn't do it.

Doesn't look even close to me.

Go with the Lincoln.

Only issue, get it looked at somewhere else. If the guy thought that Lincoln was a 99 then he doesn't know the cars well enough to know if its a good quality one or not. They didn't even make that Lincoln in 99.

My father in law to be had a 93 Mark VIII that he bought in 1995 until recently when he traded it on a new Navigator. It had almost 200,000 miles on it and drove perfect. He kept it mint too, dark green (that dark green was real propular on luxury cars in the early 90s, like silver is today) with chrome wheels. Really a sharp car. Only problem with it was he had to do the valve cover gaskets at one point I think and the clearcoat was getting thin on the leading endge of the hood, thats from a lifetime of being buffed and polished. They run fantastic and aren't real complicated so they run forever. I've also not heard if they have the same air ride woes other Lincolns do. The only reason he got rid of it is that he's quite large and he needed something bigger that he didnt have to haul himself out of. He used to drive Corvettes and he was real happy with that Lincoln.

The Lexus is a great car, but they're only as good as the way they're maintained like any other car. This Lincoln sounds like its been maintained, always driven by an older guy, the Lexus has no records and is driven by a kid, get the Lincoln.

You can stay a member here either way ;)

It all depends onhow it feels to you.

I prefer the lincon to drive but prefer the lexus to own and maintain as it is much cheaper to.

Basically if you get a deal on a car something is wrong with it ,period.

So for a good condition lexus you WILL pay money for but a rough shaped one will be cheaper. If their are wear and tear issue is probably wasn;t taken care of.

The lincnon probable was dealer serviced and hardly driven.

good luck

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't think they made a '99, either. Maybe he said '98 (the mind is a terrible thing to lose). The Lincoln owner (pearl white) was out of town today and I saw a '97 LSC, with 105K for $4,995.00 in Van Nuys. Quite a drive, but I think I'll go look at it. Carfax checked out, with one owner, but sold to a dealer at auction.

I just liked you guys so much that I didn't want to have to leave the club. But since you said I could stay, I just might go to FoMoCo. Since this will be my third car (in a 2-car garage — the CA sun is not nice to cars) I've limited my budget to $6K. I'll have my Explorer to haul stuff, my 240Z to make me feel forty years younger and my Mark VIII (?) to make me feel my age. :) I have always liked the Mark VIII, but thought they'd be far more expensive. It's ridiculous that they don't sell for way more.

I'll keep you posted. You may see me tooling around in a Rambler. Ha!

Here's the link to the '97, if you're interested:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...or=&cardist=200

Here's the '94:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...lor=&cardist=23

Definately look at the 97, they made a lot of improvements that year including the xenon headlamps and the neon brakelight. Watch those neon brakelights they're really expensive (hundreds of dollars) to replace when they go.