Change The Tranz Filter And Differential With Pics

mxl4729

Good pics of the entire procedure

+ a question of everyone. My right rear wheel seems to be making some noize as the wheel turns. It makes it once per revolution and it is almost like something is grinding. I have an IR heat gun and I pointed it at the rotor and it came up 245 F I went to the other side and did the same thing and it came up 160 F. my question is do u think the caliper is dragging or could it be something with the brake shoes inside the rotor for the ebrake. If you think it is the caliper how to I test to find out. I took apart the entire system to see what I could find and all the parts seam to be moving fine with no problems. please let me know what you think.

Thanks matt

could be the wheel bearing on that side, too.

Can you shake the wheel if you hold it at 6 and 12 and push/pull the top and bottom and see if you feel/hear any thumping in the hub.

and yes, it could be a lazy caliper and one pad is dragging. is there abnormal wear or unever wear on the pads?

ps. AWESOME DIY post on the tranny.

steviej

could be the wheel bearing on that side, too.

Can you shake the wheel if you hold it at 6 and 12 and push/pull the top and bottom and see if you feel/hear any thumping in the hub.

and yes, it could be a lazy caliper and one pad is dragging.  is there abnormal wear or unever wear on the pads?

ps. AWESOME DIY post on the tranny.

steviej

I did check the bearing and for abnormal pad wear and did not find any. I get no rocking when i tryed to move the wheel in and out. and i did a compleat tare down of that side of the brakes. Took everything off including the shoes for the ebrake and cleand and lubed everything. check all pad ware and everything check out good. this has been going on for a little over a week and it is starting to drive me crazy. one because i can hear it the other is because i can not find it.

Thanks for the pics. Should be a sticky somewhere.

Just wondering about the diff fluid fill. I always thought it was filled through the same atf dip stick because someone said that when filling through the atf dip stick it came out of the diff drain.

Can someone clearify this?

Wow that fluid looks really dirty...I wonder if there is any damage done to the transmission.

Was the filter really dirty/cleanible or did you change to a new one?

yea the fluid is very dirty that is y i flushed out all the fluid. But the car does have 80000 miles and it had never been done before. and i did change the fliter and that is y i droped the pan to change the filter.

i have a 1997 ES 300 and i am 100 % sure that they are seperate. take it from me i just changed it. but again this is a 97 differend years are going to be different

yea the fluid is very dirty that is y i flushed out all the fluid.  But the car does have 80000 miles and it had never been done before.  and  i did change the fliter and that is y i droped the pan to change the filter. 

i have a 1997 ES 300 and i am 100 % sure that they are seperate.  take it from me i just changed it.  but again this is a 97 differend years are going to be different

Well, I have the same miles on my es300 as yours and fluid has never been changed until last month...but it was still pink when I did the drain/fill. I suspect that your transmission has seen some rough times.

Yeah that transmission fluid definately looks burned, even after 80k it should still be at least pink-ish.

my diff drained about the same color so i would say it should be changed at the same time. and yes it does take the same as the tranz dexron III but .9 liters of it.

now back to my tranz i know it looked brown and i know that is not good but do you realy think it is that bad?

This is my first auto tranz and i realy do not know much about them except now how to change the filter and fluid so any answers of what else i should do and what i should watch out for would help.

Question: Why are you pumping the ATF fluid back into the Diff? I have a 98, same for 97 also, and the fluid is all filled the same way (throught the ATF dipstick); hence they are all connected.

Great post and just trying to save ya some steps.

i am 100 % sure they are not filled the same way because i was under ther and did it. I flushed through liters of atf till it came out clean. drove it around and then changed the diff fluid and it was still dirty and only a liter came out. and i was only able to put about a liter back in before it started to over flow.

Any one have answers about the questions i posted up top?

Question: Why are you pumping the ATF fluid back into the Diff? I have a 98, same for 97 also, and the fluid is all filled the same way (throught the ATF dipstick); hence they are all connected.

Great post and just trying to save ya some steps.

i am 100 % sure they are not filled the same way because i was under ther and did it. I flushed through liters of atf till it came out clean. drove it around and then changed the diff fluid and it was still dirty and only a liter came out. and i was only able to put about a liter back in before it started to over flow.

Any one have answers about the questions i posted up top?

Maybe a 97 is not the same; But, on my 98 ES300 this process work as outlined from ClubLexus.com, this forum, my Lexus dealer (Herb Chambers) and myself.

For my second time doing a tranny flush on my 98, thius worked just as I described. To prove this is correct drain the diff and the tranny. Then re-fill the atf THROUGH the dipstick. Then go back under car an open diff. Watch the new fluid go bye bye. I know this works since I did it to check my dealer.

There are connected internally. If you drain just the diff you will get about 0.8 quarts out (or about 26 oz out). If you drain just the tranny you get about 3 qt out.

Fill it back up and you get 3.8 and some change.

If I drain just the tranny and NOT the diff the diff still holds old fluid. I never said they used the same fluid just that they are filled the same way or connected.

This might help since it is almost 1-year old: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ic=5245&hl=diff

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...On++1998++Es300

PS. Worry more about the smell then color. If the fluid does not smell sweet or smells burnt, have fun! My fluid smell goooooooooooood after 30K miles