Just Changed Power Steering Fluid

sunman

I just changed the power steering fluid. I did a complete flush with Amsoil Synthetic ATF. I used a mityvac suction unit and ran it until I saw the new bright red fluid come out. While the machine was sucking, I kept pouring the new fluid. I used about 1.4 Quarts of Fluid. Very easy to do. Old fluid was muddy brown.

On the fluid resivour, there are 2 hoses attached to it. The lower of the two is the suction and the upper is the return line. I removed the return line and connected to the mityvac. No need to turn the car on. Then I started suction and kept my finger on the open inlet of the fluid resivour where I removed the hose. I slowly added fresh fluid while the mityvac was running. This will ensure a TOTAL flush of the entire system. I kept it running until I saw fresh fluid coming into the mityvac. That's it!

What is the motive for changing the fluid? I have not changed mine in 15 years and have not had a problem.

Come to think of it...for my Subaru...

Brake fluid...15 years old...never flushed.

Diff fluid...15years...still factory original

I used a mityvac suction unit and ran it until I saw the new bright red fluid come out.  Old fluid was muddy brown.

Very interesting. May I ask where you purchased the Mityvac and what model did you purchase and how much did it cost? BTW, the muddy brown color of the factory fill power steering fluid is normal and not an indication of dirty or oxidized fluid. To see for yourself, check out the color of the power steering fluid in any brand new Lexus or Toyota. It's always brown.

purchased on ebay.  check www.mityvac.com  I have MV6830

The website for the MV6830 says:"This portable unit operates on compressed air" So unfortunately the vast majority of people on this forum could not use the MV6830 because they don't have an air compressor laying around in their garage.

What is the motive for changing the  fluid?  I have not changed mine in 15 years and have not had a problem. 

Bad move man. I replace Brake fluid (1) per year..It is CHEAP and the old stuff is bad for ABS and lines over time.

mityvac also had a hand operated device that will work fine. You don't even need to use anything if you want to pump the pedal. Do the same as I did but use a rubber hose attached to the bleeder valve and pump the pedal several times. It will serve the same purpose. I do my brake bluid once per year also. It's cheap. 5 bucks isn't going to hurt me. And yes, you can tell the difference in color of old brake fluid and new fluid very eaisly. As for power steering, i have not seen the color of the fluid of a new lexus. However, I am sure I am doing no harm changing this fluid out. It has to be for the better.

you are kidding right hammer ?

Absolutely not sk! Wrt brake fluid, it was bled whenever pads were changed but that is about it...but everything else a big Nada. It is because my family is very ignorant when it comes to cars. Wrt the transmission fluid it was changed once in 15 years. The subaru still runs smooth as my Lexus and it has over 240000km. It is my winter/summer beater and sometimes an off-roader. Furthermore, I have not washed it for over 10+ years!!

With my Lexus though it is the opposite story. I baby it too much especially after finding this forum...but I wonder if all this knowledge is giving me worries and emptying my pockets than is really required.:wacko:

What is the motive for changing the  fluid?  I have not changed mine in 15 years and have not had a problem. 

Bad move man. I replace Brake fluid (1) per year..It is CHEAP and the old stuff is bad for ABS and lines over time.

You are probably right but so far no problems and it has been 15 years.

• 4 months later...

This is something I found out by doing the p/s fluid change yesterday with a regular dexron III tranny fluid by castrol. To be accurate I disconnected the very first thick pipe on the left as you are looking in to from the passenger side panel, then I had a pump that cost me $ 5.99 from a big lots and I siphoned the fluid through the pipe that I took off from the resorvoir till I got the new red looking fluid in the discharge pan. The pump I had has an adapter provided to put on the pipe that came off the tank and It took about 15 to 20 minutes to do this. very important to know that keep the resorvoir topped up while you are pumping the fluid out... hope this helps somebody out there like me.....