Timing Belt

jaddanki

I bought a LEXUS ES300 96 with 77000 miles on it recently. Owner has not replaced the timing belt .. I dont have the owner's manual..Can you guys tell me when to replace the timing belt..also he didnt seem to tune-up the engine also...I am getting only 300 miles per tank mileage..is that usual or should I tune up to get more mileage...

TX in advance for the suggestion..

Manufacturer recommendation for timing belt change is 90k. I got mine done at 81k. Make sure to replace the water pump and tensioner pulleys also, I bought toyota OEM parts online and got it done at my local mechanic. You can buy it from www.toysport.com, their price is very reasonable. Paid $180 for labor and around $170 for the parts. As for the tune-up it is a good idea to get it done, mine 98 es gives around 360 miles full tank. I have bought NGK iridium spark plugs from ebay for $30 and shipping was free, no one can beat that price.

Good luck

athar

I thought it was every 60k, but I could be wrong I have a '92 ES300 with a 3VZ-FE engine and your car has a 1MZ-FE. As for your mileage I agree with metaspace, getting a tune up wouldn't hurt. Considering the mileage on your ES, you may want to get a fuel injection and throttle body service. That may help your fuel economy. Oh ya you can pick up a used owner's manual on eBay. Hope this helps.

Wrong, the 98 has 3 wires and 3 coils sitting on 3 of the plugs. Total of 6 plugs. THe models prior to 97 has wires to each cylinder. I did a timing belt change on my dad's ES300 at 146,000 miles and my wife's ES300 at 90,000.

I just bought a 1994 ES 300 with 95K miles on it. Owner had not done the 90k service or replaced the timing belt either, although every other scheduled service had been completed on the vehicle by Lexus of Austin. I posted my quote from the dealer on getting both the 90K and the timing belt/water pump changed here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=14474

As far as mileage, I am getting around 18-19 mph in the "city". Keep in mind that I have a short 3-5 minute drive to and from work (where I use my car mostly) and hardly take it on any highway trips. I have run Chevron Plus grade (89 octane) since I bought it in Sept.

I have idled the car somewhat in the past few weeks (adjusting headlights, running heaters when conditioning leather seats, etc...) so that is probably going to be a low MPG figure.