Brake Pads

Archie

sure you can.......and its an easy job as well :)

Lexus will charge you about 300 to do this job....... :blink: but you can do it yourself with little mechanical skills

takes about 30 min...........i believe there is a written DIY in the tutorial forum

here is anohter one that a member lexls has on his websight that is really great....its for the gen 1, but pretty much the same deal

http://www.lexls.com/front_brake_pad.html

good luck

The one thing I forgot to put in that tutorial is to add brake anti-squeal lube on the shims. Otherwise just follow it and you'll be good. It only takes me about 15 minutes per axle now.

One tool you may want to invest in is a brake piston compressor. I just bought this tool because I needed to do brake pads on some other cars and I couldn't get the leverage I needed. It worked soooo good! A very good addition to my tool chest: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...gcemgdffmdggj.0

95 LS 400. Can you just replace the pads? Rotors in excellent shape.

Toyota / Lexus rotors have a minimum thickness spec listed in the factory repair manual. A micrometer is used to measure the thickness. Generally, by the time the pads need replacing for a 3rd time, the minimum thickness spec. will have been reached or exceeded. This is assuming you use factory original pads at replacement time. Aftermarket pads - especially metallic pads - can wear down the rotor much quicker. So that's one reason it can be false economy to get inexpensive pads at a Autozone / Pep Boys type place instead of factory pads from an online discount Lexus dealer like Sewell Lexus in Texas.

The one thing I forgot to put in that tutorial is to add brake anti-squeal lube on the shims.  Otherwise just follow it and you'll be good.  It only takes me about 15 minutes per axle now.

One tool you may want to invest in is a brake piston compressor.  I just bought this tool because I needed to do brake pads on some other cars and I couldn't get the leverage I needed.  It worked soooo good!  A very good addition to my tool chest: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...gcemgdffmdggj.0

Nice link there Lexls........... :cheers:

95 LS 400. Can you just replace the pads? Rotors in excellent shape.

Toyota / Lexus rotors have a minimum thickness spec listed in the factory repair manual. A micrometer is used to measure the thickness. Generally, by the time the pads need replacing for a 3rd time, the minimum thickness spec. will have been reached or exceeded. This is assuming you use factory original pads at replacement time. Aftermarket pads - especially metallic pads - can wear down the rotor much quicker. So that's one reason it can be false economy to get inexpensive pads at a Autozone / Pep Boys type place instead of factory pads from an online discount Lexus dealer like Sewell Lexus in Texas.

i have dealt personally with Sewell Lexus, they are near me. Very Respectable Dealer to work with. very honest. i highly reccomend them.