Should I Purchase A Lexus Sc?

rsmcmahon

Should I buy a Lexus SC?

I need to purchase my daughter a car for college and she really likes the looks of the Lexus SC models. Since I've never owned a Lexus, I don't have any insight into the car's "pros or cons." Of course with all the college related expenses I don't want to spend $$$ on the newer models.

This is my question, when I'm looking for a used 93-97 model SC 300 or SC400, what should I be looking for? Are there "common" major expense problems with the early model Lexus SC's? I currently own a Mercedes S class which has had $1500 wiring harness, $4000 AC evaporator, $3000 transmission, $1000 door closer assist, $600 radio amp . You get the picture - I don't want to spend her college money on her car!

Thanks in advance for any insight into the SC.

Russell

howdy, i dont know where to begin really.

Lexus=toyota

toyta=reliable

lexus=reliable

The sc300 and 400 will last along long long time. the 400 will go longer without major maintenace like replacing the water pump, valve gaskets. If the car has had its 60k 90k or what ever service done it should run fine. Many 300s and 400s will go way over 200k miles and maintain like a newer car. The only problems with the SC that i can think of are minor, the cd changer will go out, also the lower control arms MIGHT be bad, but that easy to tell. and thats all i can think of that is not on the usual check ups :D

Before you purchase an SC have it checked out by your local lexus dealer for $90 and get the service history from them and they will go over the car. Also get the carfax history. The power steering pumps begin to leak at 75-100,000mi. Expect to change all the fluids and filters and check the brake rotors and pads and tires. See if the timing belt service was done at 90,000mi as it is an expensive service. Pre 1994 cars have the old R12 AC and can be expensive to recharge so have the AC checked for leaks. A six to ten year old lexus is probably better than most new cars if it was properly maintained. The-best-source.com has replacement parts (filters, oil plug gaskets,etc at good prices). Good luck

Before you purchase an SC have it checked out by your local lexus dealer for $90 and get the service history from them and they will go over the car.  Also get the carfax history.  The power steering pumps begin to leak at 75-100,000mi.  Expect to change all the fluids and filters and check the brake rotors and pads and tires.  See if the timing belt service was done at 90,000mi as it is an expensive service.  Pre 1994 cars have the old R12 AC and can be expensive to recharge so have the AC checked for leaks.  A six to ten year old lexus is probably better than most new cars if it was properly maintained.  The-best-source.com has replacement parts (filters, oil plug gaskets,etc at good prices).  Good luck

I have a very nice one I'm thinking about selling because I bought a new SC 430 last week. It's 96 SC-300, 59000 miles, Bordeaux Pearl, perfect condition, babied & serviced. I'm in Pryor, Ok. 40 miles from you. johnny3@fullnet.net 918-825-0334