To Ebay Or Not To Ebay

Lexicon

I probably wouldn't go the ebay route because the most common problems on the older LS's are suspension related in which the car needs to be test driven to see if the problems are present. I'd print out the list Mr. Lee(aka wandawoods) complied on how the test drive should go(it's pinned) and hang tight for a local LS(one that you can kick it's tires and check out first hand). It took me about 5-7 LS's before I found mine which was 40miles away. ;) Just my $.02. Good Luck!!

:cheers:

My advise would be to use Ebay only as a locater. If you cannot drive there and check the vehicle yourself...do not bid.

I traveled about 2000 miles total, looked at several. The supposed immaculate ones were anything but. Bear in mind I can do all repairs myself so I would probably be more forgiving in a vehicle than you would. Search cars.com and trader on line. The one I found was by total accident returning from a 750 mile trip to look at another one. Good luck.

They seem to sell for cheap on there, but I would only buy if you could find one locally that you could drive first. What Blake said is right- and my car is a prime example. Front suspension CLUNKS CLUNKS CLUNKS.:wacko: If you do buy on E-Bay, assume that this is needed- whether it is stated or not. I have my LS reduced to a lousy $2995 and I feel that despite its problems, it is worth that for a work/traveling car to someone. Just not much of a market for these cars here for some reason. I see a lot of the 98+ LS400s and even an abundance of the 01+ LS430s, but very few 90-97 LS models. :unsure:

Good luck.

I recently moved to Las Vegas, and I'm amazed at the number of older Lexus' here. This is a large retirement community, and I see geezers like me with pristine cars. I think it has to do with the benign weather here-No rain, snow, mud, salt, etc. So I would say that when looking at E Bay, consider the location of the vehicle as well as the other obvious things.

I've bought a lot of smaller things on E Bay, and I consider it a crap shoot at best. I'd never buy a car without checking it out thoroughly in person. Remember, repair costs for a Lexus are "to the moon, Alice".

well, I bought 3x Lex from ebay motor in last 18-month: 94LS4, 96SC4, 97LS4, all from Texas. they all were purchased under 10~20% below KBB private party price.

it could be just my luck, they all turned out to be rather nice despite some minor issues.

some advises,

1. must do carfax

2. must check seller feedback records; email past buyers who left negative feedback

3. must have seller to fax/email u all service records and major repair bills

4. communicate with seller via email or phone and see how responsive he/she is

5. don't buy any car from 'cold' northern states; buy from souther states or FL or TX

6. don't buy any Gen1 LS4 with air ride which is good for about 100K~120K miles; it's $4K to replace or $1K to convert

7. ask about timing belt which must be changed at 90K for 90~96 LS4

8. ebay motor often offers 1000-mile/30-day warranty for 97 or newer LS4 without any charge to buyer

9. pay for an local professional inspection

10. be ware of the fine prints about 'documentaion' or 'administration' fee

11. if possible, send the Used Ls400 Buying Guide, future-to-be LS400 owners must read! (it's pinned above) to a trusted friend, local to the car, to do an inspection.

frankly, even if you buy locally, for a car-amateur, myself included, it won't do much good to inspect or test drive an used car for just a few minutes without professional helps. it's nothing too scary to buy from ebay if u do your home works first.

ironically, the 98 ES3 I bought locally is the worst purchase among 4 Lexus I have experienced, and it even passed the lexus dealer inspection!

I myself have purchase several cars off ebay.

The latest being my 97 LX 450

Please note most are cars purchase in auctions that are being sold.

You can save thousands of dollars of retail.

Do the carfax for piece of mind on some of the history of the car.

No matter what the feedback plan on all not being told.

{allow for this in your offer}

Ask a lot of questions & get the answers in writing {email} to all your questions.

Before you bid email the seller to give him a time frame & to let him know you plan on purchasing the car but you will pay after you check the car out for yourself & if both agree it is as stated in the add.{seller might fess up additional information if he knows you are making a trip out there to pick up}

You can fly out to personally inspect & pick up the car {sometimes much cheeper than driving in the long run} most will pick you up at the airport you can get a 30 day temp tag then you can drive the car back.

If car is not as you hope your out the cost of the trip but in the long run ahead of the game.

IF you purchase the car the trip back will also give you a good idea of the condition of the car & any work that you might need to do.

You can fly out to personally inspect & pick up the car {sometimes much cheeper than driving in the long run} most will pick you up at the airport you can get a 30 day temp tag & drive the car back. If car is not as you hope your out the cost of the trip but in the long run ahead of the game.

right, if you can save a few $K on the a good eBay deal, the cost of plane ticket is really next to nothing! plus u get a chance to visit a different city :P

thanks for the opinions..I'll still keep looking locally hard to find a good one when you have crooks like Hendrick Lexus wanting $19,000 for a 96 LS 400

How many miles did it have on it?

It has 96,000 miles and is in good condition, but it is not a CPO car and not worth $6,000 over retail..unless it came with a concierge

:lol: