Which Wireless Internet Company Is Better?

denslexusgx470

i've been searching around for a good DSL/Broadband company, and I duno which company performs good. I'm really *BLEEP*ed off with my AOL dial-up (yea yea i knoe it's dial-up but it did pretty good until last week) and am thinking of switching to Comcast Broadband. Is it a good company?? :whistles:

the hardware that they use now does not let you see other users, it doenst even let you sniff other ppls packets. eg back in the days, you can set your network card in the mode that it will receive all the packets on the network and you will be able to get every1s data, now you cant do that with ur cable. you are gettin only your own packets no matter how you set your network card.

i tried already:)

it used to be that every connected to the same cable in the building, now there are splitters and terminators and cable uses star topology that comes out from the hardware that sits on the end of the backbone. it is as safe as DSL and it is much faster than DSL

i don;t like cable as it is info being sent from your house and to all your neibours on the same line

I find it more secure to use dsl

I'd like to mention that I used a Verizon DSL connection for many years. During that time I had a lot of outages and speed slowdowns. The very best I could do speedwise was about 700kbps down and 90kbps up. I finally switched to a cable connection(Optimum Online) about 6 month ago, and during that time I had 1 outage that lasted less then an hour. This is a screen capture that shows the type of speeds I'm getting, day or night. I think you'll have to agree that it blows DSL away. ;)

OptimumSpeed2.jpg

Man this thread is certainly misleading. It says wireless internet company but you're all talking about wired services.

Here's the new wave of internet service, it's called WiMax. My father works one of the leading companies developing this new technology, http://www.nextnetwireless.com/, it's broadband wireless internet service. They are bringing internet service to people all over the world. This is very cool technology, true wireless internet service.

Man this thread is certainly misleading.  It says wireless internet company but you're all talking about wired services.

Here's the new wave of internet service, it's called WiMax.  My father works one of the leading companies developing this new technology, http://www.nextnetwireless.com/, it's broadband wireless internet service.  They are bringing internet service to people all over the world.  This is very cool technology, true wireless internet service.

thanx, but i think that service is unavailable to the Fresno, California , 559 area though.. <_< <_<

Yeah, Nextnet WiMax is very new technology and so it's probably not available in most areas of the USA...yet. I think they have deployments in Minnesota, Iowa, and Arizona...I think. I'm just giving you guys a heads up for this new technology because I think it's going to be great for many people. Having wireless internet service can bring the internet to people who otherwise could not get service.

The main problem in the US is that there are tons of frequency spectrum restrictions or something like that...since there are so many restrictions it takes longer to get these things going.

Anyway, I can't talk about it too much more, I just want people to know it exists and will hopefully be an option throughout the USA in the very near future.

Am using Time Warner Road Runner (Fiber optic) cable service and am very pleased.

DSL is OK as long as you are close to the CO. otherwise it is not worth the trouble.

was a beta tester with cable back in the days when you could see all of your neighbors' computers on the same line :pirate:

Oddly enough, all the wi-Fi networks that are out now these days...most everyone runs them unencrypted and broacasting their SSID's...I can see (and connect) to over 6 home networks from the second floor of my house right now....makes me wonder how many people have WI-FI cards that are borrowing internet services from their neighbors...

Am using Time Warner Road Runner (Fiber optic) cable service and am very pleased. 

DSL is OK as long as you are close to the CO.  otherwise it is not worth the trouble.

was a beta tester with cable back in the days when you could see all of your neighbors' computers on the same line  :pirate:

Oddly enough, all the wi-Fi networks that are out now these days...most everyone runs them unencrypted and broacasting their SSID's...I can see (and connect) to over 6 home networks from the second floor of my house right now....makes me wonder how many people have WI-FI cards that are borrowing internet services from their neighbors...

doesn't that depend if ur neighbor's router is capable of a far distance, right??

Yes, to a certain extent...also the position of the router and how much interference between the antenna and your receiver.

I live on a cul-de-sac on a oddly shaped lot that has 6 other lots touching mine. All of the houses around me (on the cul-de-sac) have windows facing my house at some point. I would be willing to bet that most of my neighbors have their routers upstairs and near windows, hence the ability to pick up their signals so easily...

I can only imagine how crazy this must be in an apartment complex full of college students...