Rx330 Discontinued Next Year?

ssreekak

Personally I wouldn't be at all surprised, given the hazards and potential liability of marketing an SUV with FWD or front biased AWD, to see the RX drive train redesigned to be rear drive based.

Personally I wouldn't be at all surprised, given the hazards and potential liability of marketing an SUV with FWD or front biased AWD, to see the RX drive train redesigned to be rear drive based.

Looking at this comment and your other comments to johnboy, I am inclined to checkout a cadillac before I make up my mind. Is RX330 really worth the dollar I am going to put forward, especially, considering that I live in the north-east. Thanks for your detailed answers on other threads.

Lexus' are GREAT, but to be honest....if you live somewhere where winter isn't exactly mild...and ur looking for an SUV to be AWESOME in snow, i wouldn't reccomend the Rx :whistles:

sure, it's a beautiful SUV, and it is graceful in the snow, but if your that worried about winter time and snow, go for a more allterain based vehicle...such as a jeep cherokee, etc etc.

Luxury Suvs with rwd based 4wd: Infiniti Qx4, Bmw X5, X3 etc.

I have no regrets with my Rx300 tho. i live in toronto where winter is long and cold. And lots of snow no doubt, but i am confident my rx300 will survive since it DOES have AWD.

remember

Driver skill > Vehicle Capabilities

if you drive a grand cherokee like a sports car in the winter, guess what you'll end up wrapped around a poll!

Drive responsibly and with some general knowledge about ur vehicles awd system and other safety related components and you'll be fine in just about any vehicle, FWD, RWD, AWD, etc.

All this talk about 330's being crap in the snow is hard to believe! I will know very soon if its a POS! We have already had a quick 6 inch dump a week ago and it seemed to do very well, but when the snow hits and stays Im going to flog the crap out of it and report back. I have a 99 4-Runner I can compare it too.

The first big and lasting snowfall Im going into an empy parking lot and get to know it a little better first--I really want to know how the VSC works and all and how everything reacts.

Funny though the wife says why you have to do that???? Learning the car baby......also some nice play time:) Didnt tell her that though

The 330 is new for '04, so I would think they would keep it for a few years, at least. The 300 was around for what, 7? 8? years?

The 400 is the hybrid version, but that will be in addition to the 330, not as a replacement for it.

I also don't buy the whole bit about the RX330 being poor in the snow. For one we've seen no deaths reported to the NHTSA due to the RX330 being poor in the snow. My ES300 is ONLY FWD and its excellent in the snow. My parents have an FX35 with a similar AWD system and its great in the snow. In fact, I can't recall anyone but wwest complaining about the RX in the snow. I wouldn't be worried, for one thing the Cadillac SRX has the same kind of AWD system, as do all the luxury crossover SUVs. Its the same AWD found in a car, no its not the same AWD as in a truck but few people ever use that, and its plenty for the purpose the RX is designed for.

As for a 380 or something no, the engine was upgraded in 2004 from 3.0 to 3.3 it will be several years before Lexus replaces it. Lexus isn't going to design anything that is vastly different from the RX330 in the AWD department because thats what people want. Basically just realize its not really an SUV, just a big car. An AWD car.

Pardon, but the FX and the caddy are both rear biased AWD systems.

The handling dynamics of FWD or RWD are so radically different in adverse roadbed conditions that I firmly belive the dealers should offer driving classes to folks who are switching from one to the other.

And of course the same goes for front vs rear torque biased AWD.

i think the rx300 was only avail for 4yrs...from 99 - 03...

The 330 is new for '04, so I would think they would keep it for a few years, at least.  The 300 was around for what, 7? 8? years?

The 400 is the hybrid version, but that will be in addition to the 330, not as a replacement for it.

first of all im on my second rx and my first 330. The car is great in the snow. Never have any hesitation driving it. Lower center of gravity gives it much better stability . the other 330 days a year it drives like a sedan. Secondly there will not discontinue the car. Yes they will offer the hybrid version but they will continue the gas version for several years. The difference in gas mileage between the two is minimal to the average driver. The hybrid will be better for the enviroment

I also don't buy the whole bit about the RX330 being poor in the snow. For one we've seen no deaths reported to the NHTSA due to the RX330 being poor in the snow. My ES300 is ONLY FWD and its excellent in the snow. My parents have an FX35 with a similar AWD system and its great in the snow. In fact, I can't recall anyone but wwest complaining about the RX in the snow. I wouldn't be worried, for one thing the Cadillac SRX has the same kind of AWD system, as do all the luxury crossover SUVs. Its the same AWD found in a car, no its not the same AWD as in a truck but few people ever use that, and its plenty for the purpose the RX is designed for.

As for a 380 or something no, the engine was upgraded in 2004 from 3.0 to 3.3 it will be several years before Lexus replaces it. Lexus isn't going to design anything that is vastly different from the RX330 in the AWD department because thats what people want. Basically just realize its not really an SUV, just a big car. An AWD car.

The 330 is new for '04, so I would think they would keep it for a few years, at least. The 300 was around for what, 7? 8? years?

................the rx300 came out in 1999. in 2001 the rear and front lights were changed, new wood/leather wheel, and continued that way until 04 when the new rx330 came out........99-03.......4 years.....

Pardon, but the FX and the caddy are both rear biased AWD systems.

The handling dynamics of FWD or RWD are so radically different in adverse roadbed conditions that I firmly belive the dealers should offer driving classes to folks who are switching from one to the other.

And of course the same goes for front vs rear torque biased AWD.

Having driven my RWD biased 4WD Explorer for 6 years in all kinds of weather and having driven my father's previous RWD 98 LS400 in the snow several times, and driving my FWD ES300 in the snow for one season on top of having taken advanced driving courses in skid cars and on tracks in BOTH RWD and FWD cars I agree there is a difference, but that difference is more subtle than you suggest. For the average driver, that difference is VERY subtle. My ES300 is excellent in the snow, much better than the RWD LS and getting close to as good as the Explorer, believe it or not. You just have to remember that the FWD car is going to understeer more, so that means slower into the turns, and you can't use the engine to help steer around corners. Sure the RWD LS and the Explorer had less understeer and you could use the throttle to help round curves, but that doesn't do you much good if you're sitting back at a stoplight spinning the rear wheels on the LS. RWD may be more predictable in snow, but you've got to get it MOVING first. I side with most of the driving public that believes, for the average situation and the average driver FWD is better in the snow than RWD. Now put snow tires on a RWD and you've got a different story.

I can believe the RX's system seldom shifts torque to the rear. If they're as good as my ES is in the snow thats seldom neccisary. The only time I'd really want my Explorer over the ES in the snow is when it starts to get past 6 or so inches. Several AWD systems are front biased, the much touted system by Subaru, the system by Audi, the system used by Honda and Toyota vehicles such as the Highlander and of course the RX. Sure its not going to be as surefooted as a GX or an LX with a real transfer case and a low range but it will get you to work and back in 7 inches of snow just fine. Anything more than that and the vehicle is being used outside of its purpose. Check out an Infiniti board like freshalloy.com and see how many of them complain about how poor the FX is in the snow (rear-biased AWD like you said) then check out the Lexus boards and read how many have issues with the RX in the snow. Apparently front vs rear bias aren't the be all and end all to the equation. My parents didn't have any issues with their FX in the snow last year, but it was all over that board, accidents, people just plain afraid to drive them (I think it was mostly 45s with the 20in wheels, my parents have a 35 with the 18s).