You Won't Believe This!

I also love that color, but as with any dark color the car has to be really clean to appreciate it fully. My 'Millenium Silver' colored ES might not be as dramatic as the 'Black Garnet'..but it always looks clean even though it's not. I guess I'm just too lazy to constantly work on the cars finish. :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm just going to the grocery store, mall, etc....I take the minivan.

I save the Lexus for dinners and special things.

Once I get it all nice and clean, I hate to drive it!

I know, that's stupid and I'm paying alot of money for the car.

Maybe after I've had it longer, I will give in to driving it more.

I just can't think of parking it in a parking lot yet.

Just the thought of someone smacking their door into it makes me cringe!

I know how you feel LOL. I just spent the day detailing mine.

As long as you park carefully though you'll be fine, but dings will happen. No biggie, just find a good PDR tech and the dings can be quickly fixed ;)

One important thing to keeping the garnet looking good is to keep it waxed. If its waxed well it won't get as dirty as fast.

I washed the car today and I can't believe how many paint chips I have on the hood already!

Wow, that's depressing!

I guess I am going to have to get some kind of a bra now.

Talked to the dealer yesterday and he said that the 3M product is the best one to go with.

Oh, decisions to make!

Vicki,

I would consider another product other than the 3M clear film. I have heard many bad stories of the 3M product & many places I know all recommend a similar product from LLumar automotive films. Click the link below to have a look for yourself & locate a dealer near you. It's a much better, longer lasting & a more clear product. Good Luck! :) B) Grab a bottle of touch up paint at your local dealer before installing the clear film product.

http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto-paint.html

:cheers:

Definately get the film, I wish I had.

Don't feel too bad about not having the 3M Film installed. I had the dealer install it on my car before I took delivery, but here's the pros & cons that I have found.

Pros- Looks good after being on the car 1 year and 8 months. No film discoloration that I can see on 'Millenium Silver' paint.

Can prevent small paint chips from road debris.

Cons- If your bumper contacts anything that is sharp enough to rip the film it makes a mark(ding) that can not be compounded out or retouched. No matter what I tried, I can't make the mark(s) invisible.

If you decide to have the bumper repainted, the film has to be removed completely.....which is a big job.

As far as I'm concerned, I will no longer use this film. I prefer to either use touch up paint or if it bad enough, I'd have the bumper(s) repainted.

My chips are not in the bumper, they are on the hood!

It must be better to get the film than to replace the hood?

My Lexus LS400 was Baroque Red, which was similiar to this Black Garnet.

I don't remember it chipping as fast and as easily as this paint is?

I guess I will have to do alot of research before deciding on what to do about this.

That is weird, mine doesn't chip like that. Might just be a function of bad luck, a couple rocks had your name on them.

I reccomend the touchup pen from www.autovisuals.com thats what I use to touchup. Buy a Black Garnet pen and a clearcoat pen, that'll fix the chips up.

I've spoken to at least 5 dealers that can install BOTH the 3M & LLumar products for roughly the same price.....the 3M is a bit less but they all agree that if they had the choice, the LLumar is by far the better product in terms of more clear & durable in the long run. :)

I've spoken to at least 5 dealers that can install BOTH the 3M & LLumar products for roughly the same price.....the 3M is a bit less but they all agree that if they had the choice, the LLumar is by far the better product in terms of more clear & durable in the long run.  :)

LLumar products are for window tinting NOT for paint protection as is the 3M product that this thread is all about. :chairshot:

I've spoken to at least 5 dealers that can install BOTH the 3M & LLumar products for roughly the same price.....the 3M is a bit less but they all agree that if they had the choice, the LLumar is by far the better product in terms of more clear & durable in the long run.  :)

LLumar products are for window tinting NOT for paint protection as is the 3M product that this thread is all about. :chairshot:

Wrongo. :chairshot:

http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto-paint.html

That is weird, mine doesn't chip like that. Might just be a function of bad luck, a couple rocks had your name on them.

I reccomend the touchup pen from www.autovisuals.com thats what I use to touchup. Buy a Black Garnet pen and a clearcoat pen, that'll fix the chips up.

the darker colors... especially the black garnet is the softest paint lexus has.

SW, detailing your car is a pain, you have to be soooo careful to avoid them !Removed! swirl marks.

Actually the black garnet is much harder than Lexus' black. Its not really that the dark colors are softer, they all use the same clearcoat, its that the dark color magnifies the problem that Lexus uses a soft clearcoat in the first place. The black is VERY easily marred because it has no clearcoat.

I actually find that its really rewarding to detail, you get a different look with different products and the fact that the paint IS soft makes it easy to polish and get any marring out.

Its not a drive it through the carwash once a month color though...

The Llumar place is 3 1/2 hours away from me :(

By the time I get there, my hood will have more chips missing!

The dealer emailed me a quote of $500 for the 3M product.

Says the retail is $695.

I haven't called Llumar yet to compare prices.

I will tomorrow as they are closed right now.

This is an added expense that I didn't expect to pay.

It's almost Christmas so the timing sucks!

My Honda Odyssey is a 2005 (red) it has 3,500 miles on it and it has no paint chips, satelitte radio (3 months free), PAX run flat tires, the Navi is better and has alot of toys for less money than this Lexus was.

I wasn't expecting this from a Lexus product.

Up to this point, I'm regretting buying this car!

You can't really copmpare a van and a Lexus though. The Odyssey is a nice van, but its no Lexus.

Rock chips are just a part of life, my guess is you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Says the retail is $695.

My Honda Odyssey is a 2005 (red) it has 3,500 miles on it and it has no paint chips, satelitte radio (3 months free), PAX run flat tires, the Navi is better and has alot of toys for less money than this Lexus was.

Hi! Vicki_in_Florida

At first, you have too many NEGATIVE remarks about LEXUS. Why are you still buying them???

Did you test drive the car or play with the Navigation before you bought it???

Rock will damage any "hood" paint (doesn't matter if it is a LEXUS, HONDA, NISSAN OR A FORD...) If it hits hard enough, it will chip the paint.

I feel your pain....but you don't have to live with it.

You stated that "you are regretting buying this car" right???

- Well, then why don't you sell it....???

Says the retail is $695.

Hi! Vicki_in_Florida

At first, you have too many NEGATIVE remarks about LEXUS. Why are you still buying them???

Did you test drive the car or play with the Navigation before you bought it???

Rock will damage any "hood" paint (doesn't matter if it is a LEXUS, HONDA, NISSAN OR A FORD...) If it hits hard enough, it will chip the paint.

I feel your pain....but you don't have to live with it.

You stated that "you are regretting buying this car" right???

- Well, then why don't you sell it....???

You don't have to be so hard on her she is just upset and venting a little. I know i would be upset if i had the problems that she is having. ;)

Vicki,

I know that you have to be upset with everything that you been going threw, but i agree with Steve that you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I wish you luck because i can see that you are having a very hard time with everything. :(