New Member Looking At 2000 Rx 300

jgr7

I found a 2000 RX 300 with 17,500 miles asking price of $25,995 clean as new, everything I think except navigation. I purchased a car fax and it is clean however it lists no services at dealers. The car was registered in a rural area no dealers close by. Is such low mileage soon enough to worry about sludge? Is there anything I should check out when I go back on Monday to buy it? I have a code reader and could check for OBDII codes but I would think if it had any they would have been cleared and not in history. I checked oil and it was so clean I could hardly see it on the stick, I'm sure the dealer changed it. By the way it is at a Cadillac dealer so I'm not sure they know too much about this car. I plan on going back on Monday and really going over this car good, any suggestions on things to look at would help, it only had 1 remote key and 1 valet key unless they are holding 1 back, I didn't ask yet.

Thanks Jeff

Along with the engine sludge potential problem, be aware of the RX transmission issues, exhaust manifold cracking, and oxygen sensor failures as well. Use these potential issues in your negotiating tactics with the sales guy, along with the fact that even with the low mileage for a 2000 model, the vehicle is now five years old and will soon face problems with rubber weatherstripping, seals, belts, internal rust, etc.

I believe that the asking price is several thousand dollars too high, particularly when you can't document the service history. Stay cool, unemotional, and drive a tough bargain keeping in mind that there is always a better deal on a better vehicle out there somewhere. Good luck.

jgr7:

Follow this link: http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38921 and read about engine oil jelling (or sludging) before going back to the dealer to negotiate. If they can't produce a complete service history for the RX, then you've definately got a huge negotiating tool in your pocket. While 17K doesn't seem like very many miles for a problem to rear its ugly head, time and neglect certainly could play a factor. I'm a "sludge victim" and when I bought my 2000 RX, the oil looked like fresh honey on my dipstick, too. 5 weeks later my RX was getting a new engine installed. Be careful.

Try calling a Lexus dealership and ask them to fax the service records to you. The previous owner may have had all of the oil changes and check ups done at a Lexus shop. All of Lexus' dealerships are networked so if any work was done they will tell you. Good luck

I agree that even with the low miles, the price is still high. I also just purchased a 2001 (30k miles) with sludge. I bought it last week, and this week it is in the shop while I am waiting for Lexus to decide if the clean out is covered because the previous owner did not change the oil at the dealership.

Mailrail, I was wondering how difficult it was to get Lexus to replace your enginge since you purchased it used; and, if it had been serviced at a Lexus dealership. Also, do you know how likely it is to return?

Thanks, William

I have a 2001 RX300 for sale. It has a few more miles on it, but its sludge free. I've had all recommened service done to the vehicle, the last major maintance was performed at 60,000 with all oil changes done at around 5000-6000 miles.

Its in great shape and I'm asking $21,500 for it. Email me if you are interested. Or check out the this link http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...olor=&cardist=0

cuball142002@yahoo.com

I agree that even with the low miles, the price is still high.  I also just purchased a 2001 (30k miles) with sludge.  I bought it last week, and this week it is in the shop while I am waiting for Lexus to decide if the clean out is covered because the previous owner did not change the oil at the dealership. 

Mailrail, I was wondering how difficult it was to get Lexus to replace your enginge since you purchased it used; and, if it had been serviced at a Lexus dealership.  Also, do you know how likely it is to return?

Thanks, William

William: It wasn't difficult at all because mine was a Certified vehicle. Is yours? If so, they shouldn't give you any crap about it. I've also read that even without the complete service history and proof of oil changes, Toyota (Lexus) will usually still replace/clean the engine. I wasn't able to see the history of my vehicle and I really didn't care that much since it was Certified. And I didn't actually get a BRAND NEW engine, just a new head, new oil pump, new seals and gaskets and a couple of other new items that I can't remember since I don't have the service bill nearby. They completely and thoroughly cleaned the other parts. In fact, the oil looks like real light-colored honey on the stick; much lighter than if it had gone into a dirty engine. The tech told me that the engine is as good as new because it's actually already broken in. The problem would only return, he said, if I failed to maintain it as recommended. Toyota supposedly redesigned the engine in 2001; I've got to believe that the new head I've got is of THAT design, which lets the oil drain back down faster. Good luck with yours.

Thanks mailrail. I found out today that Lexus is going to clean and replace parts of my engine also, even though it was not certified and maintenance records were not kept by the previous owner. I am very relieved and assured that Lexus wants to do the right thing. Do you use synthetic oil now with your cleaned out engine?

I got the car today, $26,028.59 out the door, found out that the lexus dealers could only verify one oil change at 5000 miles, no other records after that. so worst case is the car has gone 12k with out an oil change. I'm ok with that. The car is sweet and so clean my co workers thought it was brand new not 4+ years old. The dealer is going to get me extra set of keys and FOB also. I only came with 1 and the valet key.

Do you guys use synthetic oil or dino oil? I plan on doing all my own changes and anything else I can. How about oil filters do you use Toyota?

Jeff

It's not time yet for my first oil change since the 'de-sludging'. I've still got a couple of thousand miles yet before I go back for my FREE oil change. When I do, I plan on packing 5 gallons of 5W30 Mobil 1 with me and have them use that. From that point on, I'll do my own changes with syn oil.

Ok here we go!!

I just bought a 2000 with 72000 miles they were asking 17900 for it . It is stripped down base model 2wd and cloth. I love the machine. We traded a 2004 mazda RX8 for it. They gave me 21900 for the Mazda.

The Lexus came with the service manual saying that the previous owner had all the maintenance done at the stealership. Every oil change up to 50000 was documented. Do I have any concerns to worry about or should my lexus be okay. From here on out I plan on running Amsoil everything mainly b/c I am a dealer of it and I love it. Let me know.

Oh...and CONGRATS, jgr7, and your purchase!!!

• 2 weeks later...